Is there any explanation for the void nights?

#21MrcTOtheJPosted 3/25/2013 11:38:36 PM
RebelElite791 posted...
CRtwenty posted...
RebelElite791 posted...
But it could just be a "for science!" Mengele kind of thing.

Now I've got this mental image of crazy Altmer Mages dresed like Dr. Horrible speaking with cheesy german accents and shooting a giant Dawn Era laser weapon at the moons from a secret bunker under the ruins of the Crystal Tower.

I'm quite okay with this

Someone needs to put in Thalmor Lab Coats somehow.

What ever new DLC they'll release would be infinitely better because of it.
---
Currently playing: Fallout 3 (the Umpteenth time) Need For Speed:MW 2012 Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (PS3)
Currently waiting for: GTAV, LR:FFXIII, Grid 2
#22Brenz0rPosted 3/26/2013 3:12:51 AM(edited)
AddictedToXbox posted...
If the Void Nights truly were a eugenics experiment, does that mean the Thalmor are willing to overlook the "transgressions" of the "lesser mer", particularly Daedra worship and Lorkhanic association? The Khajiit fit both of those...

It's more likely that they were working on patterns of extermination with regard to lesser Mer, since Khajit are potentially derived from Mer themselves. They were conducting pogroms/purges in High Rock of the Direnni, too. Not exactly out in the open, presumably, but it was happening.

Maybe Orsimer will be next - I don't know that they'd be willing to tackle the Dark Elves even in the weakened state that the Dunmeri are currently in (what with the possibly-Lorkhanic-divine ash drifting around as a result of Red Mountain's eruption). Not until they can deal with bigger threats.
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN
#23CRtwentyPosted 3/26/2013 3:27:58 AM
Brenz0r posted...
AddictedToXbox posted...
If the Void Nights truly were a eugenics experiment, does that mean the Thalmor are willing to overlook the "transgressions" of the "lesser mer", particularly Daedra worship and Lorkhanic association? The Khajiit fit both of those...

It's more likely that they were working on patterns of extermination with regard to lesser Mer, since Khajit are potentially derived from Mer themselves. They were conducting pogroms/purges in High Rock of the Direnni, too. Not exactly out in the open, presumably, but it was happening.

Maybe Orsimer will be next - I don't know that they'd be willing to tackle the Dark Elves even in the weakened state that the Dunmeri are currently in (what with the possibly-Lorkhanic-divine ash drifting around as a result of Red Mountain's eruption). Not until they can deal with bigger threats.

What evidence is there that the Khajiit are actually descended from mer though other than "certain types of Khajiit look like Bosmer"? Weren't they already living in Tamriel when the Aldmer arrived?
---
"I just came out of a PIE, you swooning harpy! That is totally bat-**** insane!" - Mehrunes Dagon
#24Brenz0rPosted 3/26/2013 3:34:38 AM
"And Azurah came to her and said, "Poor Nirni, stop your tears. Azurah makes for you a gift of a new people." Nirni stopped weeping, and Azurah spoke the First Secret to the Moons and they parted and let Azurah pass. And Azurah took some forest people who were torn between man and beast, and she placed them in the best deserts and forests on Nirni. And Azurah in her wisdom made them of many shapes, one for every purpose. And Azurah named them Khajiit and told them her Second Secret and taught them the value of secrets."

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Words_of_Clan_Mother_Ahnissi
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN
#25MattheauPosted 3/26/2013 3:35:38 AM
Most likely it was a lazy way of getting around having to explain how Elsweyr was involved with the Aldmeri Dominion. Elf Moon Magic is a lot easier than, say, actually figuring out important factions, people, etc in Elsweyr.

Look at the Warp of the West. This wouldn't be the first time they have done something like this by any stretch of the imagination.
#26CRtwentyPosted 3/26/2013 4:09:01 AM
Brenz0r posted...
"And Azurah came to her and said, "Poor Nirni, stop your tears. Azurah makes for you a gift of a new people." Nirni stopped weeping, and Azurah spoke the First Secret to the Moons and they parted and let Azurah pass. And Azurah took some forest people who were torn between man and beast, and she placed them in the best deserts and forests on Nirni. And Azurah in her wisdom made them of many shapes, one for every purpose. And Azurah named them Khajiit and told them her Second Secret and taught them the value of secrets."

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Words_of_Clan_Mother_Ahnissi

Hrm... interesting. So basically the Khajiit were Lorkhan sympathizing Mer who were given their shapes by Azura? That seems to be what I got from that.
---
"I just came out of a PIE, you swooning harpy! That is totally bat-**** insane!" - Mehrunes Dagon
#27StiikzPosted 3/26/2013 5:11:31 AM
Wait wait wait........ So catmen are elves?
---
You will never amount to anything and end up in prison - my father
#28tcain99Posted 3/26/2013 5:40:45 AM(edited)
you guys do realize that secunda and masser were lesser gods that died in the battle against lorkhan right and the moons are all that remains of their power taken physical form kindqaa like the sun is akatosh's power made physical
---
xbox360
Gamertag: Hurricain87
#29Brenz0rPosted 3/26/2013 8:40:51 AM
tcain99 posted...
you guys do realize that secunda and masser were lesser gods that died in the battle against lorkhan right and the moons are all that remains of their power taken physical form kindqaa like the sun is akatosh's power made physical

Jone and Jode are Lorkhan's rotting corpse.

The sun is a giant hole into Aetherius that was left by Magnus when he departed.
---
#30Wings of FortePosted 3/26/2013 10:26:00 AM
CRtwenty posted...
What evidence is there that the Khajiit are actually descended from mer though other than "certain types of Khajiit look like Bosmer"? Weren't they already living in Tamriel when the Aldmer arrived?

From what I gathered. Father of the Niben mentions what is believed to be primitive Khajiit and Argonians encountered during an expedition by the ancient Aldmer. So I think that the beast races inhabited Tamriel before Men and Mer.

The moons are the corpse of the dead god, Lorkhan. Big bad in the elven pantheon. So it would make sense that the Thalmor would utilize magic that could make them disappear. If it's a eugenics experiment, I think that it would be their researching the influence of Lorkhan on the life of Nirn. Eugenics to anti-create back to the state of mythic without the interference of Lorkhan. If their design is to return to divinity, then Lorkhan has to be out of the picture (as in out of every form of existence), or else the events of creation would occur all over again. What do you guys think?

On a side note, the sun was created by Magnus' escape, but Dawnguard suggests that it is also connected to Auriel, the elven mirror-brother of Akatosh. Does that mean that the Time Dragon has some connection to Magnus or is it that Auriel used the hole to Aetherius to gain mythopoeiac influence over Mundus?
---
A.K.A Red Dingo