when should i do civil war?

#1tonymack21Posted 3/26/2013 7:58:27 PM
I am just past the first battle with alduin at high hrothgar where I learned dragonrend. I haven't started civil war yet..I had heard its best to save it..but how long is too long? Should I go ahead and do it? I just asked marl balgruuf to let me use the palace to catch a dragon I guess I better do that first cause I'm planning to be a strormcloak and it will displace the jarl and ive started the quest with balgruuf?
---
Carter: "Why are you naked in my house?" Peter: "Why arent you?" Carter: "You're all right Griffin."
#2TwoBladesOneBowPosted 3/26/2013 8:04:39 PM
Finish the main quest then do the civil war.
---
"From where you're kneeling, it must seem like an 18-carat string of bad luck. But the truth is... the game was rigged from the start."
#3tonymack21(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 8:08:38 PM
I thought a certain point in the main quest ends the civil war?
---
Carter: "Why are you naked in my house?" Peter: "Why arent you?" Carter: "You're all right Griffin."
#4Purple_CheetahPosted 3/26/2013 8:09:55 PM
Nope, just a "truce"

However if you do the civil war or go too far into it, you can miss out on a quest/scene of the MQ. First time around I missed out on it.
#5tonymack21(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 8:11:12 PM
Ok cool I will finish the main quest first then
---
#6BeidhaPosted 3/26/2013 8:26:51 PM
I'd do the Civil War before the Main Quest. That extra quest/scene was annoying.
---
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep
#7JurazonPosted 3/27/2013 12:05:12 AM
You can do it before or after the Main Quest. If you do it after, it just adds another mission in the Main Quest that you have to negotiate a temporary truce at High Hrothgar.

I did the Civil War questline after the Main Quest because let's be honest, if the World Eater showed up, are they really going to continue their Civil War while he runs amuck? No, they are going to lay down their arms with each other, take care of the End of the World issue, then continue their war. At least that's how I see it.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: MUSTANGMAN82
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
#8DougymcPosted 3/27/2013 3:22:25 AM
Beidha posted...
I'd do the Civil War before the Main Quest. That extra quest/scene was annoying.

I didn't mind doing it once, but I decided to never do it again after that.
#9JackNurSnakPackPosted 3/27/2013 4:07:56 AM
Dougymc posted...
Beidha posted...

I didn't mind doing it once, but I decided to never do it again after that.

this^ you end up fighting just as many "epic" battles, so what's the point?
---
"Lighthouses are more usefull than churches" - Benjamin Franklin-
#10SuperFlikPosted 3/27/2013 8:17:20 AM
But if you do the Main Quest before starting the civil war, you get Odaviing to help you with the fort battles. And if you do Dawnguard and resto-loop an amulet of talos, you can also have Durnehviir out at the same time.
---
Zelos Wilder: "Demon Fang! Demon Fang! Demon Fang!
Damn, I must be a genius! Double Demon Fang!"