How do you go about...doing anything as a pure archer/sneak build to begin with?

#1pinky0926Posted 3/27/2013 12:56:31 AM
My idea was to make a "Legolas" style character. Almost pure archer but with dual short blades for when things get close.

Later on it's easy as hell, just sneaking around dungeons one-shotting everything in sight, but to begin with you're just a puny idiot in leathers, trying in vain to pump your warhammer wielding opponent full of rusty arrows and missing because you can't slow down time.

What do *you* do to compensate? I feel like I spend most of my time running away. Boss battles are *really* tricky.
---
pinky0926 - CE's resident Scotsman. "Only in America."
http://i39.tinypic.com/9rnbex.jpg
#2Overd0sPosted 3/27/2013 1:00:35 AM
pretty much what you said, but it's fun as hell in the lower levels lol

it helps a lot if you get throw voice early on too; but in the mean time you can lure enemies over oil spills or into traps by shooting your arrows into those things from a far away hidden place lol
#3DravenRainrixPosted 3/27/2013 1:25:06 AM
Fire Arrow over the enemies heads and into a wall behind or near to them. this will make them turn and investigate giving tons of time to stay ducked and pump them full of arrows. Invest early points into the sneaking tree and get the best Light Armour you can find.

Should pretty much make it possible to clear a dungeon without being seen.
---
The cook book told me to "set the oven to 180 Degrees" so i did. Now I can't open it because the door faces the wall.
#4FluffyKidJoePosted 3/27/2013 1:53:37 AM
If you hire Falendal and "steal" your gold back you can get archery to level 50 very fast, up until then just mess around doing really easy stuff.
#5bloodgod92Posted 3/27/2013 1:54:27 AM
You have to be a little preemptive, as in, knowing where the enemy will be when you fire your arrow.

It takes a while to get the hang of it, but if you judge their movement patterns and speed correctly you can hit them from far away while they are in fast motion.

IT is best to stay crouched, as the bow doesn't cut through your view as much, use your arrows to lure enemies into the open, while they are running towards you, move backwards, if they get too close use your Fus Roh Da shout, knocking them backwards, with enough time to get a shot off.

try your best to get sneak attacks, the double damage works wonders. Another good thing to do is to get a follower who is an archer.

One great thing to do is to use the environment to your advantage, for instance, if there is a swinging axe corridor, tell your follower to wait at one end of it, you go through quickly and lure the enemies with your arrows, at the very least the swinging axes will slow them down enough that you can kill them all without being hit.

When sneaking up to enemies it is best to get the critical strike on the more deadly enemies, my priority system for attacking while undetected is Mage > Warrior > Rogue but in open combat the warrior and rogue are switched up, as the rogues pick away at you while you are blocked into tight spaces by the warriors.

While choosing your talent, I advise you go for sneak attack bonus from your bow and 5/5 for the first talent. For me, in archery, 5/5 for bow damage and then everything on the right side of the tree first. I am really good with my boy so slow time is not really needed as much, unless in open combat with many enemies.
---
Gamer Tag - Aldora92
Currently Playing - TES V - Skyrim
#6pinky0926(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 2:10:03 AM
bloodgod92 posted...
You have to be a little preemptive, as in, knowing where the enemy will be when you fire your arrow.

It takes a while to get the hang of it, but if you judge their movement patterns and speed correctly you can hit them from far away while they are in fast motion.

IT is best to stay crouched, as the bow doesn't cut through your view as much, use your arrows to lure enemies into the open, while they are running towards you, move backwards, if they get too close use your Fus Roh Da shout, knocking them backwards, with enough time to get a shot off.

try your best to get sneak attacks, the double damage works wonders. Another good thing to do is to get a follower who is an archer.

One great thing to do is to use the environment to your advantage, for instance, if there is a swinging axe corridor, tell your follower to wait at one end of it, you go through quickly and lure the enemies with your arrows, at the very least the swinging axes will slow them down enough that you can kill them all without being hit.

When sneaking up to enemies it is best to get the critical strike on the more deadly enemies, my priority system for attacking while undetected is Mage > Warrior > Rogue but in open combat the warrior and rogue are switched up, as the rogues pick away at you while you are blocked into tight spaces by the warriors.

While choosing your talent, I advise you go for sneak attack bonus from your bow and 5/5 for the first talent. For me, in archery, 5/5 for bow damage and then everything on the right side of the tree first. I am really good with my boy so slow time is not really needed as much, unless in open combat with many enemies.

Good post, thanks. IIRC I made an archer before who used conjuration for distraction, but that seemed like a bit of a copout to me. Don't companions ruin sneak?
---
pinky0926 - CE's resident Scotsman. "Only in America."
http://i39.tinypic.com/9rnbex.jpg
#7bloodgod92Posted 3/27/2013 2:22:13 AM
pinky0926 posted...
Good post, thanks. IIRC I made an archer before who used conjuration for distraction, but that seemed like a bit of a copout to me. Don't companions ruin sneak?

I don't use anything but a bow, not even dual daggers. I never use magic either.

Sometimes companions can ruin your sneak streak, and get in the way of your arrows (open combat) but the extra bow/spell/shield works wonders against groups of enemies. If you use a follower like Feandal(I think this is the guy, elf archer form that Riverwood village) he follows from afar and acts like an archer should. If you are crouched, follower are crouched too, so perhaps putting muffled boots on them will help.

If you want to get your enchanting up as well I advise to put the soul snare enchantment on all of the bows you use. Always have a large supply of soul gems an almost every enemy you kill will have its soul torn out by you.

I know my information is not top quality, but I have only had the game for a couple of weeks and only put about 70-80 hours into it.
---
Gamer Tag - Aldora92
Currently Playing - TES V - Skyrim