Without lancing me with a spear, what made Morrowind so great?

#101PathlessBulletPosted 4/5/2013 10:53:53 PM
Twilight Sparkle is best pony.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#102deadpool223Posted 4/5/2013 11:01:17 PM
morrowind was awful. everyone who tells you otherwise cant see it, but it was awful. the story, while good, made a lot better book. everyone said the same damn lines, the quests were bad and impossible to find, there was one that was ACTUALLY impossible to find. and despite what people say, the guilds didnt matter a whole lot. the only difference was a stat requirement.

oh and dice roll combat system is the stupidest thing for video games ever.
---
honk HONK honk HONK http://i.imgur.com/NztEG.gif. :33 < fus ro paw,
#103NathypantsPosted 4/5/2013 11:10:34 PM
But it was fun.

And it was released in 2002.

And it's not like there were other games to compare it to back then.

And reasons.

Etc.

It had flaws, even lots of glaring ones, but it was still fun. It didn't hold your hand. Hell, there wasn't even a hand to hold if you wanted it for a lot of things.

ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC.
---
~If you sprinkle when you tinkle~
~Be a sweetie and wipe the seaty~
#104deadpool223Posted 4/5/2013 11:20:04 PM
"Tell me, you don't want to eviscerate Delphine?"

yeah sure does sound fun to have her walking to skyhaven and get killed by a saber cat, while im on the other side of the map and having THE STRINGS OF FATE HAVE BiN SEVERED LOAD A OLD SAVE OR CONTINUE crop up.

or have random dragon attack occur and kill someone i didnt know was important.
---
honk HONK honk HONK http://i.imgur.com/NztEG.gif. :33 < fus ro paw,
#105Tequila_ShotPosted 4/6/2013 2:34:24 AM(edited)
At the time of Morrowind's release, it was hailed as amazing. The question at hand is "why"?

It's not the graphics. PC's have always been stronger than consoles, and in 2002-2003, my PS2 games had better graphics than Morrowind. Cases in point, Final Fantasy X and X-2.

It's not that "choice mattered", because as Brian pointed out early in the topic by linking the video that explained it, your choices could easily be undone with a handful of gold. Again I recall a PS2 game, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, released in February of 2003 in Japan, a game where your choices affected both which characters you got and how the game ended. Choices that, once made, could not be undone unless you completely restarted the game, or rolled back to a previous save.

Was it the story? Possibly, but calling a story "good" or "bad" is subjective, and cannot be expressed in any objectively defineable or quantifiable means. Many people would say that the Oblivion Crisis was a better story than Morrowind's main quest, and just as many would say that the Dovahkiin story was better than the Oblivion Crisis.

No, the reason Morrowind was hailed as "amazing" was because it reintroduced everything that made Daggerfall an amazing PC game. A free roaming world where you were free to interact in any way you wish, building whatever kind of character you wish, outside of the constraints of contemporary RPG's. The only difference between Daggerfall and Morrowind was the demographic. In Daggerfall's age, the internet was young, and most people didn't use it as commonly as they did in Morrowind's age. Morrowind was a successful revival of what Daggerfall was, and thanks to the internet, it got the attention it deserved to not only make Morrowind successful, but ensure a lasting life once more.

I'll say it once more for people who are too stupid to read the entirety of the post. Morrowind was not an "amazing" game because of it's graphics (which were bad even by 2002 standards), the impact of choices that could be undone with a paltry couple thousand gold, or the story which is subjective no matter which way you slice it. It's successful because it's Daggerfall 2.0, and most of you who love Morrowind, never even touched Daggerfall because you had never heard about it during it's time in the sun.

So in short, TC, to answer your question, Morrowind is successful because it was Daggerfall 2.0, and most Morrowind fanboys didn't start the series in Daggerfall, they started in Morrowind.
---
If you're a gamer, it is your responsibility to share this with everyone you know:
http://youtu.be/jHmDjNCZR3k
#106xGenocidestPosted 4/6/2013 2:54:18 AM
I tried making another character in Morrowind a few months back. I got my ass handed to me in the first dungeon I went into, because I couldn't hit the guy for the life of me.

I think I even used a custom race with higher starting skills, and based all of my stuff on melee. I could only hit him maybe once in 15 swings. And do pitiful damage.

Then I just gave up. My friend tried an Archer and couldn't kill some people because it never hit. Looked like it was glitched.

Sure, it was awesome for it's day. I did have fun exploring way back when. But the combat just kills it for me now.
---
All Hell can't stop us now.
#107Mr_PopelPosted 4/6/2013 8:12:30 AM
AlleRacing posted...
Which, oddly, some people want back.

Tell me, you don't want to eviscerate Delphine?

i've no problems with Delphine ... that essential Silverblood guy (no idea WHY he's flagged essential tbh) is a totally different story ... i just want to shred him into pieces, and spread them all over Markath.
---
Hey i'm not camping ... i'm "tactically waiting" :-D
#108imthestuntmanPosted 4/6/2013 8:38:45 AM
Its difficult to describe. Oblivion came out with a bunch of things that made it more approachable. Fr many of us morrowind was our firsttruely open world rpg and had such an amazing freedom and variety. Are there bad parts? Yes. But playing it right before skyrim was released it still held up very well. I has its issues, but is still great.
---
I whole heartedly despise IGN. Bad reviews and incorrect information.