Without lancing me with a spear, what made Morrowind so great?

#81sunbro1Posted 3/30/2013 4:20:58 PM
Kant_Remoob_Eht posted...
sunbro1 posted...
RetroFanGirl posted...
Morrowind is more rpg.

It is more oldschool rpg, and less of the new age action rpg that Skryrim fits into.

New age RPG = Not an RPG?

No

New age action RPG = New age action RPG

This is my point its not a proper RPG
---
Ours is the fury
#82Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 3/30/2013 4:30:16 PM
sunbro1 posted...
sunbro1 posted...
RetroFanGirl posted...
Morrowind is more rpg.

It is more oldschool rpg, and less of the new age action rpg that Skryrim fits into.

New age RPG = Not an RPG?

No

New age action RPG = New age action RPG

This is my point its not a proper RPG

The game is so much about giving the player freedom than it does with making the storyline for the game good, that the game itself is more roleplay than game.
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
You do good, people will hate. You do bad, people will hate. You just sit there, people will hate. Welcome to the COD community.
#83SynysterSityPosted 3/30/2013 4:46:45 PM
youngval312 posted...
Morrowind is dated as hell, sure, but here's some things it did well that I feel newer games haven't hit very well:

NPC dungeon factions: Dwemer, Sixth House, Bandit, Velothi Domes, Ancient Dunmer Strongholds, Ancestral Tombs, Daedric sites...there was just so much freaking variety, dozens of locations for most of those.

Environments: Each environment actually felt different. Oblivion is half a dozen shades of green with some yellow and snow. Skyrim is better, but not by much. In Morrowind, even the Grazelands and Ascadian Isles look much different from each other. Morrowind just had varied terrain. Furthermore, it wasn't based on traditional fantasy or real world stuff. Yes, there were trees and flowers and what not, but there were also giant mushrooms and odd rock formations. Then there was the unique architecture. Imperial, Hlaalu, Telvanni, and Redoran stuff all looked different and unique. And badass. I mean, giant freaking wizard towers? Hell yeah.

Unique weapons: Oblivion and to a lesser extent Skyrim allow you to get pretty much everything except unique stuff in huge quantities, whereas in Morrowind there was a limited quantity of Ebony, Daedric, Glass, etc. This made finding each piece of those far more rewarding. For example, there being only three Daedric helms in the entire game, and all of them (if I recall) in obscure places.

More Varied Factions: In Morrowind, you had three Great Houses, you had the Temple, you had the Imperial Cult, Fighters, Mages, Thieves Guild, Morag Tong...I'm not sure if I'm forgetting anything. In Oblivion you just had Fighters, Mages, Thieves, and Dark Brotherhood. In Skyrim you've got Companions, Thieves, College, Dark Brotherhood. Morrowind not only had more, but they were, once again, more varied and original. Each Great House had it's own thing. The Imperial Cult sent you after ancient relics. The Temple had you fighting the Sixth House. The Morag Tong had you go after the Dark Brotherhood. And in Morrowind, the quest lines were longer and more fleshed out. Perhaps more boring than Skyrims, but there was a lot more to them. Oh, and Ashlanders. You couldn't do many quests for them, but they were there.

Spells: omg, *inhales* levitate, mark/recall, divine/almsivi intervention....uhh, basically those, and spellmaking. Enchanting. The ability to create ridiculous game-breaking things and be a demigod. (Army of Golden Saints, anyone?) Yes, this is a reason Morrowind was fun.

I'm sure there's other stuff, but that's what popped into my head. Another advantage is that it still has a very strong modding community and is a lot more likely to run on your computer than Oblivion or Skyrim.

Oh, and Cliffracers. 'Nuff said.

Also, Vampire quests/factions. Sooooo much better and more detailed than future games. Seriously, wtf Bethesda, this stuff was awesome!

You sir/ma'am...Are my new best friend.
---
"A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." Majoras Mask, Majoras Mask
#84SynysterSityPosted 3/30/2013 4:48:40 PM
Taurus910 posted...
Wait hold up

You could join the Morag Tong?

Yes sir, and IMO, it is an awesome guild. One of my favorites!
---
"A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." Majoras Mask, Majoras Mask
#85sunbro1Posted 3/30/2013 4:49:55 PM
Morag Tong > Dark brotherhood
---
Ours is the fury
#86AnimalXingNerdsPosted 3/30/2013 5:16:34 PM
No, no, no. Morrowind had pillows.
#87Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 3/30/2013 5:23:09 PM
AnimalXingNerds posted...
No, no, no. Morrowind had pillows.

What about the little lanterns/candles you could place down to provide light?
---
You do good, people will hate. You do bad, people will hate. You just sit there, people will hate. Welcome to the COD community.
#88villanut32Posted 3/30/2013 5:35:36 PM
OK people ask morrowwind is such a fan favorite, first at the time it was the first freedom sandbox on consels.
Second anyone who has actually played it and daggerfell know they are different games. Daggerfell was great when it came out and was game breaking in what it did. But let's be honest after a few hours that game became all samey and boring, morrowind tells a story.
Even if you hate the epic bad coding there was a story and epic epic gameplay. Anyone who's actually played morrowind will attest it is hands down the best RPG ever created.
#89Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 3/30/2013 5:41:18 PM
villanut32 posted...
OK people ask morrowwind is such a fan favorite, first at the time it was the first freedom sandbox on consels.
Second anyone who has actually played it and daggerfell know they are different games. Daggerfell was great when it came out and was game breaking in what it did. But let's be honest after a few hours that game became all samey and boring, morrowind tells a story.
Even if you hate the epic bad coding there was a story and epic epic gameplay. Anyone who's actually played morrowind will attest it is hands down the best RPG ever created.

Morrowinds story puts Skyrim's to shame.
---
#90CRtwentyPosted 3/30/2013 5:54:39 PM
villanut32 posted...
Anyone who's actually played morrowind will attest it is hands down the best RPG ever created.

Morrowinds story puts Skyrim's to shame.

Planescape Torment would like a word with you.
---
"I just came out of a PIE, you swooning harpy! That is totally bat-**** insane!" - Mehrunes Dagon