Dawnguard is better than Dragonborn

#1AmmonitidaPosted 3/31/2013 9:06:27 PM(edited)
If you can only choose one, go with Dawnguard. It offers more to the MAIN GAME whereas the content from Dragonborn is mostly confined to its special Island.

The ability to roleplay as a powerful vampire is worth the 10 dollars alone IMO. Plus, the werewolf mode is now useful after level 50 thanks to the new perk tree. Dragonborn doesn't offer a new beast mode nor does it improve upon an existing one.

You also get new and fun randoms. If you side with Dawnguard, you will get fairly frequent vampire attacks on towns and cities. If you side with the Vampire Lords, you'll get hunted down by Dawnguard vampire hunters in frequent randoms across Skyrim. In contrast, the only random from Dragonborn is annoying as hell, where your dragon souls are stolen by the DLC's main Nemesis. There's no way to stop it. It's just stupid.

As for armor -- while it's true that Dragonborn offers more content in this area, none look as good as the sets in Dawnguard. Full heavy Dawnguard armor is one of the best looking melee armors in the whole series. Ditto for heavy Falmer armor (looks like Sauron from LOTR) And full royal vampire armor is perhaps the best looking mage armor in the game and good looking mage armor is something that Skyrim sorely needs. The new Dragonborn armor is, for the most part, pitiful in appearance.

You also get a longer main quest and better radiant quests that have you killing vampire masters or vampire hunters (never gets old).

The new summons are also better in Dawnguard. You get a summonable mount which means goodbye to dead horses and keeping track of where they are. It's such a relief. Further, you get to summon a GARGOYLE when in vampire mode!! How badass is that? And if you choose the Dawnguard side, you can hire armored TROLLS!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! Compare all that to the lame ash Atronach (reskinned storm Atronach) and ash spawn from Dragonborn.
#2Big_Brownie25Posted 3/31/2013 9:09:18 PM
Yes
#3Purple_CheetahPosted 3/31/2013 9:09:53 PM
Huskies > whateverthenormaldogsare

That alone was worth it, not really, but I'll lie as say it was.
#4HoonDingPosted 3/31/2013 9:46:22 PM
Dawnguard has better summons, and I really love the Sun spells it adds, but I have to give it to Dragonborn for spells. Poison/Ash Runes, the incredibly awesome Whirlwind Cloak, and the surprisingly powerful Ignite. Plus a ton of new goodies for battlemages.
---
Don't let the dragon drag on!
#5silverhunter16Posted 3/31/2013 10:14:04 PM
HoonDing posted...
Plus a ton of new goodies for battlemages.

That part pisses me off to no end. The best gear is tiered in there favor while my pure mages becomes noticeably weaker because of it.

Bethesda wants battlemages but says to hell with pure ones.
---
"Okay, look. We both said a lot of things your going to regret but I think we can put our differences behind use. For science. You monster.
#6IamI3rianPosted 3/31/2013 10:37:47 PM
Ammonitida posted...
Plus, the werewolf mode is now useful after level 50 thanks to the new perk tree.

I'm sorry... what? Werewolf (without Dawnguard) stopped being useful around level 12. My sorcerer did better bare handed (as a person) than my werewolf did. At level 25.

That said, Dragonborn is still well above Dawnguard in my opinion. Both are great (and worth $10 easy) but I wouldn't say Dawnguard is worth $20. I'd pay that for Dragonborn. In a heartbeat.

$22.50 for all three? Yes please.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya.
A plethora of real life problems. =' (
#7AddictedToXboxPosted 4/1/2013 12:42:50 AM(edited)
I'm gonna list a few reasons on why I feel Dragonborn isn't great. Feel free to comment...

1. Lack of improvement to existing game mechanics

Unlike Dawnguard, Dragonborn didn't really improve upon any existing mechanics. Sure, it added new spells and shouts, as well as some new gear, but so did Dawnguard. On top of that, Dawnguard greatly improved vampirism and lycanthropy. Why couldn't Bethesda do the same with shouting in Dragonborn? That was the entire theme, being Dragonborn.

2. Miraak was a wasted opportunity

Let's face it: Miraak was a horrible character. This guy had lots of potential, but at the end of the day, he was little more than your stereotypical, arrogant piece-of-****. This guy could have opened up a LOT more about the Dragon Cult, the Dragon War, and being Dragonborn, but what we got was insubstantial. To me, at least.

3. Apocrypha

Seriously, this was the biggest let-down to me. The realm certainly had the perfect look, but where were all the juicy, new texts? More than half the books found on Seekers were recycled texts from Morrowind and Oblivion. The Black Books were incomplete, too. Bethesda missed a great opportunity to introduce players to some profound lore. I dunno. Also, couldn't they have added a few NPC sages?

4. Artifacts

Dawnguard did a much better job with artifacts, though the Bloodskal Blade was very nice.

5. Half-assed content

I'm mainly referring to werebears and spears. Fans complained and complained about the lack of werebears in Skyrim, despite their supposed prominence in the province. Bethesda even added a text, explaining that the legends of werebears were more than likely just tales. Rather than stay true to that text, Bethesda decided to add them, but they weren't playable. There is absolutely no reason they couldn't have added a ring/amulet, which re-skinned your Beast Form to that of a werebear. This was a slap in the face to the fans, who cried and cried for werebears. The same goes for the pseudo-spears they added. Don't even get me started on the dragon riding.

6. Thirsk

My absolute favorite part about Bloodmoon was Thirsk. How they handled Thirsk in Dragonborn paled in comparison.

These are my biggest gripes with Dragonborn. I may add a few more later. Keep in mind that these are my OPINIONS, so...
---
False God! This is the end... the final turn of your Wheel!
#8X ProwLPosted 4/1/2013 1:42:49 PM
Dawnguard is really packed with content.

Since both DLCs give new spells, Shouts, Armor, Weapons etc. etc.

You should be comparing the locations, Stories and quests.

Dawnguard has incredibly unique locations with a very interesting story.
The quests are good but the locations are usually a one-time deal.

Dragonborn has a unique island with a decent story.
The quests are pretty interesting but the location does get stale after awhile.

I enjoy both DLCs, Dawnguard gets the shaft from the fanbase since "OMG it's no morrowindz, I'm so hardcore 2002".
---
Gamefaqs, The only place where a Single post can get moderated, Overturned and then RE-Moderated. Pathetic.
#9youngval312Posted 4/1/2013 1:55:05 PM(edited)
There's a lost of misc. spoilers in this post. You've been warned. If you like surprises, don't read it.

From what I posted in the last one of these topics, I liked Dawnguard more, because:

Serana

Soul Cairn (though Apocrypha was cool)

Forgotten Vale

Crossbows

That double dragon battle on the ice lake

The battle against the really powerful guy before you leave the Forgotten Vale

The accents of the people in the Dawnguard Fort and the radiant quests to kill vampires

Yes, the Soul Cairn was big and empty, but when you went there it was such a dark, forboding place, and large and empty. It was so mysterious, and I really liked that.

Apocrypha, by comparison, is just the realm of a Daedric Lord and you can't explore it.

I do have to say that a TON of the random dungeons in Dragonborn have been pretty freaking cool.
---
-Val Young-
#10Jstretch19Posted 4/1/2013 1:58:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4