Is being a Vampire Lord worth...

#1EmoBanger69Posted 3/31/2013 8:11:05 PM
not being able to make crossbows or bolts?
#2Big_Brownie25Posted 3/31/2013 8:14:02 PM
You get the vampire lord powers if you join Dawnguard side, you just get the ability much later on in the questline.
#3HeavyJay901Posted 3/31/2013 8:18:54 PM
The choice is really between crossbow or the VL rings, after everything you can have her change you into a VL at any time.
#4LordTalynPosted 3/31/2013 8:35:40 PM
Vampire side you can obtain 2 rings, and 2 amulets that increase your powers, as well as an upgradable boost from the Bloodstone chalice.
Vampires can still sneak into Fort Dawnguard to find crossbows, bolts, and enchanted bolts.
Only thing you cannot obtain is the dwarven crossbow.
As for the Dawnguard spells, with Illusion you can calm the shopkeepers in a sidequest to buy all their spells/bolts.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Mass Effect 1-3. Waiting for: ESO, Pokemon Y Worst Game Played: Dead Space 3
-Nord, Stormcloak, Necromage, Hybrid, Slayer of Paarthy-
#5shino0regicePosted 3/31/2013 8:37:26 PM
if you go with the vampires, you can be WW and VL hybrid later
---
next time you rob a store make sure the person in there is not a 5 degree black belt.(my x-box live = megadeth9715) pokemon black FC: 1592 6406 7208 Chick
#6Big_Brownie25Posted 3/31/2013 8:52:07 PM
LordTalyn posted...
Vampire side you can obtain 2 rings, and 2 amulets that increase your powers, as well as an upgradable boost from the Bloodstone chalice.
Vampires can still sneak into Fort Dawnguard to find crossbows, bolts, and enchanted bolts.
As for the Dawnguard spells, with Illusion you can calm the shopkeepers in a sidequest to buy all their spells/bolts.

Wait when you say we can get crossbows at Fort Dawnguard are you talking about just the first one? Can you also get enhanced crossbow too?
#7CRtwentyPosted 3/31/2013 8:55:52 PM
Big_Brownie25 posted...
LordTalyn posted...

Wait when you say we can get crossbows at Fort Dawnguard are you talking about just the first one? Can you also get enhanced crossbow too?

No, just the basic one.
---
"I just came out of a PIE, you swooning harpy! That is totally bat-**** insane!" - Mehrunes Dagon
#8LordTalynPosted 3/31/2013 9:04:40 PM(edited)
Big_Brownie25 posted...
LordTalyn posted...

You can sometimes get Enhanced Regular crossbows as loot off of dawnguard random attacks.

Edit:
Also enchanted versions.
I have yet to get dwarven crossbows as loot though, but you can get dwarven bolts.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Mass Effect 1-3. Waiting for: ESO, Pokemon Y Worst Game Played: Dead Space 3
-Nord, Stormcloak, Necromage, Hybrid, Slayer of Paarthy-
#9silverhunter16Posted 3/31/2013 11:08:07 PM
The Ring of the Erudite is more than enough of a reason to join the Vampires.

Crossbows, while stronger than most bows, just don't cut it for me. They're more for warrior and combat archer builds.

That said, I'm mostly a mage or thief character so my response is heavily influenced by the fact vampirism boosts both the playing styles in a way.
---
"Okay, look. We both said a lot of things your going to regret but I think we can put our differences behind use. For science. You monster.
#10LockeadonPosted 3/31/2013 11:46:34 PM
silverhunter16 posted...
The Ring of the Erudite is more than enough of a reason to join the Vampires.

Crossbows, while stronger than most bows, just don't cut it for me. They're more for warrior and combat archer builds.

That said, I'm mostly a mage or thief character so my response is heavily influenced by the fact vampirism boosts both the playing styles in a way.

the increased damage per shot makes them ideal sniping weapons although they seem to make more noise then bows when fired and i have no idea if that actually matters when sneaking.

and the vl has alot of ranged attacks available so its not like you will have a hard time at range if you want the vl rings
the ring of the erudite and the ring of the beast are both VERY good items although the rotb is actually helps the ww even more then it does the vl, cause health and unarmed damage both suit the ww great.

and for combat archers/anyone who wants dps more than dph (as in you arent using it just to shoot something once or twice and switching to other attacks) the dragonbone bow is not as strong as the dwarven crossbow assuming both of them have their best ammo and the crossbows elemental isnt being resisted, but has significantly higher dps. iirc the auriels bow fires as fast as zyphyr/bound bow but i have no idea which one gives higher dps. so basically for most combat situations the dragonbone bow has better dps by alot than the crossbows and are still strong enough to make excellent sniping weapons in almost all situations. the crossbows real benefits as a combat weapon come from its elemental ammo and armor peircing traits which combine to make it a unique and viable choice. just be aware of two things. first, the aoe elemental damage will agro enemies who are caught in it. and second, without the elemental damage they dont outdamage the dragonbone bow on hit either. its a shame there arent stronger bolt types. judging from the bolts we have dragonbone bolts would have done 25 damage (same as the db arrows) + a large amount of elemental damage. if it fit the pattern for the other elemental bolts it would be at least 30 or 40 damage in a larger aoe than the dwarven bolts.
and dragonbone crossbows would have been cool too.

long story short the Dwarven crossbows are strong and the only missile weapons with aoe options available but the vls don't really need that they have drain life and other ranged attacks instead and get some great gear to support that style of play, and the dragonbone bow is often the better choice anyway and isn't specific to a side.
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider