Build: The Myrmidon

#1ArgentumVirPosted 4/2/2013 10:48:39 PM
The Myrmidon. (Final build) http://skyrimcalculator.com/#281045

Brief overview: A travelling warrior that often prefers a patchwork of comfortable and worn armor to a matching set (mix and match light and heavy armor). They are most comfortable using quick single handed weapons (Axes, and Swords), and are avid survivalists and magicians (following the tradition of adapting to wherever they are). While they don't use shields, they are experts in the art of parries and disarmament. They aren't at their best with ranged combat, but one always knows that the first strike is a major advantage (uses tactical archery).

How to play: Play these guys like a glass cannon. Get right up in there and beat a mofo, then get out. If you're caught in a tight spot, retreat and blast yourself with a restoration spell. Switch to ranged combat when necessary. Use shouts and impedeing magic with as much tact as you can. A well placed Ice Form can direct the odds in your favor with a single fell swoop.

Always build your light and heavy armor with equality. I always hated taking the advanced armor smith perk. I felt it was a waste, but the steel plate gauntlets look great with scaled armor. Block whenever you can. The time slow in the tree is your best friend. Get that ASAP. I prefer swords simply because they are the quickest. However, the War Axe's DOT perk is amazing in Master Difficulty. The scimitar "Windshear" is one of the most incredibly OP'd weapons verses groups of enemies in the game. A simple bash knocks most characters senseless, and allows for several free hits. This build can take maximum bonuses from this weapon.

A good rule of thumb is 2 STM, 2 HP, and 1 MAG. I would stop at 150 magic. By that point, anything you'll want to cast can be covered by MP boosting equips, or avoided completely. In the later levels, you'll want to build up Enchanting as well.

A good choice for Standing Stones are: Lord, Steed, and the Skill stones (Mage, Warrior, etc). I personally enjoy taking advantage of the various armor glitches and such for maximum bonuses (the Jagged Crown looks bad ass and benefits from the Diadem of the Savant or the Aetherial Crown).
---
Check my FictionPress: http://www.fictionpress.com/u/882728/
I love Rias Gremory.
#2JurazonPosted 4/3/2013 7:23:46 AM
Personally, I like my builds to use either Light or Heavy Armor. That way, maximum benefit can be gained from the perks. But hey, it's your build...you do it your way.

Also, I don't know if you know what Myrmidon means, but they were soldiers of Ancient Greeks that were commanded by Achilles and known for their fierce loyalty to their leaders...so much that the word Myrmidon became synonomous with "minion" or "loyal follower". That being said, I don't understand how your build is named after them.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: MUSTANGMAN82
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
#3thousandinonePosted 4/3/2013 7:39:07 AM
Jurazon posted...
Personally, I like my builds to use either Light or Heavy Armor. That way, maximum benefit can be gained from the perks. But hey, it's your build...you do it your way.

Also, I don't know if you know what Myrmidon means, but they were soldiers of Ancient Greeks that were commanded by Achilles and known for their fierce loyalty to their leaders...so much that the word Myrmidon became synonomous with "minion" or "loyal follower". That being said, I don't understand how your build is named after them.

It may not fit with the original usage of the term, but it's been used as a synonym for warrior/fighter/soldier for so long in so many different forms of media that that's no longer really a valid point.

Languages are organic structures, and this usage is in-line with the current accepted usage of Myrmidon. Languages change over time; people fight for the sanctity of 'The Queen's English,' but English does not belong to The Queen, but rather belongs to and is collectively worked on by everyone who speaks it.

You'll find many words in modern usage that aren't exactly identical in their definition and usage to their ancient greek equivalent. How about the word 'phalanx?' The original phalanx was a military formation meant to act as a force multiplier for the spears and shields used at the time. Nobody seriously uses spears and shields anymore, but the term phalanx is still used occasionally to describe a defensive line in general.
---
Worst thing about grammar police: They're cannibals. If one makes a single typo or error while 'critiquing' someone, they will be EVISCERATED by their fellows.
#4h3IIfir3pho3nixPosted 4/3/2013 8:40:43 AM
Jurazon posted...

In the Nintendo TBS RPG series "Fire Emblem", Myrmidons are basically Samurai, with an emphasis on speed and critical hit power, while using swords exclusively. I'm assuming that is where TC got the build idea from.
---
"At least Harbinger came up with his own catchphrase. Obama has to steal his from Bob the builder." -iamdanthaman
#5JurazonPosted 4/3/2013 9:48:29 AM
h3IIfir3pho3nix posted...
Jurazon posted...

In the Nintendo TBS RPG series "Fire Emblem", Myrmidons are basically Samurai, with an emphasis on speed and critical hit power, while using swords exclusively. I'm assuming that is where TC got the build idea from.

Oh, ok. I did not know that.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: MUSTANGMAN82
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
#6ArgentumVir(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 10:53:34 AM(edited)
h3IIfir3pho3nix posted...
Jurazon posted...

Correct. Though I adapted that definition to my own idea. In the novel I'm writing, a Myrmidon is someone who travels the world in search of anything interesting. They observe what styles are present and adapt them into their own.

EDIT: From what I remember, many perks in the Heavy tree are bugged and of no to very little use. Since stamina isn't too much a problem (can be recovered easily with respite/soup), then the light armor perks end up being redundant. The emphasis here is looks and comfort over effectiveness. Since I almost never use helmets (preferring circlets), the later armor perks would be useless anyway.
---
Check my FictionPress: http://www.fictionpress.com/u/882728/
I love Rias Gremory.
#7MrcTOtheJPosted 4/3/2013 12:57:45 PM
I may try this build out.

Sounds like it could be like an armored version of my Alik'r (based on the one on Skyrim blog but with a few more skills) just with blocking and archery.

I support the idea of more than one armor type when it boils down to it the base armor perk and maybe one or two others are all you really need the complete set stuff, isn't that nesisary. Without head gear, just the base five and a few others, my battlemage with full armor sans headgear reaches the cap. With smithing of course. (no looping)
---
Currently Playing: Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, NFS:MW 2012
Currently waiting for: GTAV, LR:FFXIII, Grid 2