Trying to debug a quest with modio (won't work).

#1Neo Chameleon XPosted 4/4/2013 6:05:22 PM
I have the Xbox 360 version of Skyrim and my brother has the PC version. I'm experiencing a glitch where the Mage's Guild quest "Containment" won't start. Savos is dead, but no one will talk about it, and everyone just walks around, occasionally kneeling next to his body, but otherwise acting like nothing odd has happened.

Anyway, I used modio (5.0) to transfer the save and sent it to my brother, who loaded it up on his PC and tried to debug it. He couldn't get the quest to start, so I had him give me the Torc of Labyrinthian and the Archmage's Robes and call it a day. Problem is, when I transfered the file back to the XBox it won't load. The game starts loading the file and then freezes.

I don't know what's going on. I followed a walkthrough and discovered I was using a different version of modio (they used 3.0), so I downloaded that instead, and did everything they did. The only thing I noticed was when the guy on the video hit "open from device" he noted a file at the end of the list called "Save.exs", but this file doesn't appear when I do it. It just lists my save. Why is this?

Also, does the fact that I used Modio 5.0 to transfer the file from XBox to PC and Modio 3.0 to transfer it back present a problem?

Just looking for some input for people who have done this.
---
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly,
is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer
#2jammymacsterPosted 4/4/2013 6:08:14 PM
Is your brother on patch 1.9 on his pc?
---
http://goo.gl/UEC2Y
#3FMLGPosted 4/4/2013 6:41:44 PM
The modio version shouldn't matter.

You changed your save to .ess right? And when your bro gave it back did he change it to .dat? Then you replaced the sacegame.dat right?

Maybe one of his mods or patches interfered with it?
---
Remember FMLG told ya!
Sometimes I miss drugs.Then I read gamefaqs. - Beery <3
#4Neo Chameleon X(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2013 7:01:41 PM
Yeah, I did everything he said on the video, but it still crashes when i try to load. I don't know if my brother has any mods installed, or anything, but I don't think he put anything from a DLC into my file.
---
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly,
is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer
#5jodiebigballsPosted 4/5/2013 1:03:30 AM
Neo Chameleon X posted...
Yeah, I did everything he said on the video, but it still crashes when i try to load. I don't know if my brother has any mods installed, or anything, but I don't think he put anything from a DLC into my file.

He doesn't have to actively put anything in your file.
He just has to have the dlc installed and checked.
But that in itself shouldn't cause a nameless crash?

Silly question but does modio have a Rehash/Resign button? (I use horizon) all files need to be Rehashed and Resigned by either an editor or a modding tool.
---
Live Fast, Die Young.....Leave A Good Looking Corpse
#6FMLGPosted 4/5/2013 2:08:27 AM
jodiebigballs posted...

Silly question but does modio have a Rehash/Resign button? (I use horizon) all files need to be Rehashed and Resigned by either an editor or a modding tool.

I think that would be in the video though?
And if he didbhave a mod/ DLC did it say something like this save relies on items that aren't here?
---
Remember FMLG told ya!
Sometimes I miss drugs.Then I read gamefaqs. - Beery <3
#7BeerMusclesV2Posted 4/5/2013 2:20:07 AM
You must use the TechnoMaster Shout.
---
I am the Emperor Incarnate
-That's when you'll realize your arms are just to short to go a round with god.
#8jodiebigballsPosted 4/5/2013 3:25:11 AM
FMLG posted...
jodiebigballs posted...

I think that would be in the video though?
And if he didbhave a mod/ DLC did it say something like this save relies on items that aren't here?

As silly as it sounds when I was first learning to mod/hex edit savegames there was more than a few video tutorials that completely forgot the rehashing and resigning lol
---
Live Fast, Die Young.....Leave A Good Looking Corpse