so we got "a game of thrones" series and "lord of the rings" movies.

#31sunbro1Posted 4/8/2013 2:19:30 AM
RebelElite791 posted...
sunbro1 posted...
Also those two examples are bad enough as it is. The films and series do no justice to their books.

Is this a joke

Haven't you seen the 2nd season and the first episode of the 3rd? It misses about half the book and strong Belwas, also where is Ramsey? LOTR 3rd movie is pretty different too.
---
Ours is the fury
#32xGenocidestPosted 4/8/2013 2:33:25 AM
To be fair, George RR Martin pulled stuff from the book's and switched them around all the time.

Ramsey will obviously be shown fairly soon, and I doubt they wanted to throw Strong Belwa's in there for all of 1 minute. He'll get his own scene when they do an episode devoted to Daenerys.

Oh, and I'm glad they left Tom Bombadil out. Nobody wants to listen to him sing and skip around for an hour on end. Was a stupid character to begin with.
---
All Hell can't stop us now.
#33gren-aidPosted 4/8/2013 2:43:03 AM
I think a direct adaptation would be awful, but a series based on the ES series could work.
#34sunbro1Posted 4/8/2013 2:44:57 AM
xGenocidest posted...
To be fair, George RR Martin pulled stuff from the book's and switched them around all the time.

Ramsey will obviously be shown fairly soon, and I doubt they wanted to throw Strong Belwa's in there for all of 1 minute. He'll get his own scene when they do an episode devoted to Daenerys.

Oh, and I'm glad they left Tom Bombadil out. Nobody wants to listen to him sing and skip around for an hour on end. Was a stupid character to begin with.

They skipped all his parts. They've jumped right over her parts in the book. Ramsey should have appeared in the second season, and its messed up his role due to what happened to Rodrik Cassel.
And opinion I would have loved to see Tom Bombadil.
---
Ours is the fury
#35RebelElite791Posted 4/8/2013 2:48:27 AM(edited)
CarmineAnthony posted...
sunbro1 posted...
Also those two examples are bad enough as it is. The films and series do no justice to their books.

I agree that the GoT adaptation is severely lacking (why do this without having near enough time or money to do it right?), but I feel that the LoTR movies came fairly close to doing justice to the source. Well... as long as I pretend that the third movie didn't happen.

Severely lacking? George himself disagrees.

And do you not know what "ADAPTATION" means? It's not supposed to be (and shouldn't be) a direct translation to the screen.

sunbro1 posted...

They skipped all his parts. They've jumped right over her parts in the book. Ramsey should have appeared in the second season, and its messed up his role due to what happened to Rodrik Cassel.
And opinion I would have loved to see Tom Bombadil.

Ramsay didn't need to appear until now any more than the Reeds did

By the way, Spoilers for tonight's ep He shows up in tonight's episode

Also Strong Belwas is like, completely nonessential at this point (granted I haven't read all of Dance yet, but by this point in the show, he has no use)
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws
http://i.imgur.com/NvRUjep.jpg http://i.imgur.com/xqJhbJ3.jpg
#36TearsfoUniversePosted 4/8/2013 2:50:53 AM
IamI3rian posted...
Friday the 13th for NES was great though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1raUvGNbZFg
---
The war has begun, but there is still so much cake and other things to burn
#37SoulOfFaythPosted 4/8/2013 2:58:31 AM
of course series or movies or games or anything never live up to the books, in the same way that sex with Scarlett Johansson will never live up to how it is in your mind.
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#38xGenocidestPosted 4/8/2013 3:01:54 AM
Because you can't make a single season all about one character. Then people would be complaining about not seeing Jon Snow or Arya.

Primary Characters > Secondaries.

They are limited by the amount of episodes they can have in a season, just as Martin was limited by how many pages he can have in a book.

And IMO Tom Bombadil was the worst thing in the entire LoTR trilogy. They left him out for a reason.
---
All Hell can't stop us now.
#39sunbro1Posted 4/8/2013 3:13:00 AM
xGenocidest posted...
Because you can't make a single season all about one character. Then people would be complaining about not seeing Jon Snow or Arya.

They are limited by the amount of episodes they can have in a season, just as Martin was limited by how many pages he can have in a book.

And IMO Tom Bombadil was the worst thing in the entire LoTR trilogy. They left him out for a reason.

Ramsey is an absolutely massive part of ASOIAF.
---
Ours is the fury
#40RebelElite791Posted 4/8/2013 3:15:34 AM
sunbro1 posted...
xGenocidest posted...

Ramsey is an absolutely massive part of ASOIAF.

Not until recently in the show, and again He showed up tonight
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws
http://i.imgur.com/NvRUjep.jpg http://i.imgur.com/xqJhbJ3.jpg