Can anyone explain patch 1.9 in basic terms?

#1MisterdizzPosted 4/8/2013 2:15:20 PM
Basically, I understand you can reset the skills of your choice to Level 15 by making them "Legendary". What I don't get is what would make doing so enjoyable? Would your character lose some vital abilities by doing so? If so, why would I want that?

My latest character build has 100's across the board, and is overall Lvl. 81. What process would make the game feel fresh again? Or, otherwise, what is the best way to look at the latest change in regard to this Legendary thing? Sorry, I'm just confused about how to approach my game. I don't want to start at the beginning again. Even though my character has played through al the DLC and built three homes, I still have a lot of Quests including the MQ to continue.
---
"Old, but still game!" GT: Zanarkand Wolf
#2EddMarioPosted 4/8/2013 2:21:55 PM
Misterdizz posted...
Basically, I understand you can reset the skills of your choice to Level 15 by making them "Legendary". What I don't get is what would make doing so enjoyable? Would your character lose some vital abilities by doing so? If so, why would I want that?

My latest character build has 100's across the board, and is overall Lvl. 81. What process would make the game feel fresh again? Or, otherwise, what is the best way to look at the latest change in regard to this Legendary thing? Sorry, I'm just confused about how to approach my game. I don't want to start at the beginning again. Even though my character has played through al the DLC and built three homes, I still have a lot of Quests including the MQ to continue.

Being able to reset your skills to 15 means no more level cap.
---
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
#3MrcTOtheJPosted 4/8/2013 2:23:05 PM
Well the main reason to do it, is leveling past 81, or not having to use skills that don't fit a build to get upto and past 81. I mean why should my Warrior have to become a master mage to get the most Health boosts he can?

You get the perk points back from the skills you clear to spend anywhere, then you can get more added to the pool while leveing up.
---
Currently Playing: Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, NFS:MW 2012
Currently waiting for: GTAV, LR:FFXIII, Grid 2
#4metroidman92Posted 4/8/2013 2:26:19 PM
As you said, you still have a lot of quests to do. If you feel like re-leveling your abilities along the way, going Legendary allows you to do that, while getting extra perks. Yes, you lose a few abilities, but I guess it's to make already-mastered build challenging again.

On my main file, I beat the MQ, DG, DrBo, CoW, and a lot of side quests. So going Legendary might not be great for that file, since I don't have as much left to do. I can't get the Companions line to continue (Servio Pelagia is MIA, and I have to intimidate him,) and doing stuff for the Thieve's Guild doesn't really fit my character.

It all depends on if you want to extend the life of your current builds, and get them uberstrong across many skills.
---
Tell me Chakas, if this was your choice, after all we have seen and survived... would you fire the rings?
[silence]
#5Misterdizz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 2:29:22 PM(edited)
I know I am a little dense and hope you all can forgive me. But, let's say I have a stealthy character who has all the perks in the related skills (sneak, etc). Would I want to leave all related skill alone and not Legendary them? I am probably complicating this, but am still confused as to how it works and the logical approach. Is it only wise to Legendary those skills you don't really care about? I still don't fully comprehend the whole thing. Will I be earning many more points to spend now that the Level Cap is gone? Like, by using 2-handed stuff, will I get a Level Up prompt again and again?
---
"Old, but still game!" GT: Zanarkand Wolf
#6MrcTOtheJPosted 4/8/2013 2:31:14 PM
What I'm going to do when I'm able to get the patch is Legendary things that I use frequently enough but I'm fine without, like One Handed on my main, I use it allot so I should level it back fast, and I still have magic to fall back onto, I may also do things like Speech and some magic schools that are easy to level, like Conjuration.
---
Currently Playing: Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, NFS:MW 2012
Currently waiting for: GTAV, LR:FFXIII, Grid 2
#7VasDeferensPosted 4/8/2013 2:34:13 PM
From my basic understanding, and I'm no expert. It's sort of like a new game+ . You reset all your skill trees in order to fill them up again any way you like, but you retain your lv. 81 health, magicka and stamina levels. You also still have all your high level items (definitely not like the CoD prestige system at all where you go back to earning all the guns you unlocked previously) . So it's not like you're starting from lv. 1 right after the dragon attack on Helgen
#8Evil_SandwichPosted 4/8/2013 2:43:16 PM
If you're already level 81 just prestige a skill you don't use/didn't spend any perks in and level that.

That way you can still gain tons of free levels without gimping your character.
#9SoulOfFaythPosted 4/8/2013 2:48:47 PM
One thing I assumed but have never seen confirmed, when you use two-handed mainly, and when you reach 100 you reset it, your weapons will only do their base damage, correct? This is the only concern I have, because at level 40 it would get pretty hard if you only do 20 damage.
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#10vega2505Posted 4/8/2013 6:03:46 PM
SoulOfFayth posted...
One thing I assumed but have never seen confirmed, when you use two-handed mainly, and when you reach 100 you reset it, your weapons will only do their base damage, correct? This is the only concern I have, because at level 40 it would get pretty hard if you only do 20 damage.

That's why I'm not even sure what skills to reset, because my entire build is built around stealth, so if I reset sneak, then I can't be stealthy, by sneak attacks don't do extra damage and I'll basically be screwed, since all the enemies I fight are high level and require effort to actually take down.

Maybe the best thing to do is just spam soul trap on Shadowmere to grind Conjuration to 100, then reset it and do that over and over, since I use that skill, but it's not needed for my build.
---
I used to be a Street Fighter like you...then I took a Spiral Arrow to the knee.