Skyrim would have reviewed a lot higher if it didn't have a difficulty slider

#1Flamechamp2333Posted 4/10/2013 12:49:17 PM
Or different difficulty modes.

In my opinion, RPG's should absolutely never give you the option of different difficulties, especially allowing you to change the difficulty at any point in the game. This is a "no no" and should never happen.

In rpg's, sometimes the entire experience is realized when you come across an extremely powerful monster or boss and overcoming that powerful enemy is part of the experience. It gets completely ruined for all players when you can just lower the difficulty to "novice" or "casual" and basically one-shot the monster in a couple hits. You absolutely should never be given this option because it hurts the challenge you get from enemies, not to mention it hurts the exploration aspect.

If you're an early level and see a dragon or frost troll? Who cares about being "scared" away when you can just lower the difficulty and blow the monster with a few hits. It sets a bad precedent in rpg's and players should never being given the option.
---
this screenshot is for warcraft 3 players: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5835/masscritters.jpg
#2sunbro1Posted 4/10/2013 12:51:42 PM
I can foresee a ****-storm heading your way, but guess what?

In some cases I agree with you.
---
Ours is the fury
#3VampyreFoxPosted 4/10/2013 12:52:33 PM
One shot monsters in a couple hits? whooaa
---
Lithium
#4JobClassPosted 4/10/2013 12:53:12 PM
You are speaking from a hardcore standpoint. i understand this, but remember we also have casual players playing this game, just for fun and break from life. By having different difficulties Beth can market the game to everyone. If you want to play on hard, jsut never turn it down, simple as that.
---
"I bestow upon you the gift of life! Rejuvenate!"
#5Van_Of_The_DawnPosted 4/10/2013 12:53:48 PM
"Flamechamp, catch!"

I throw him a glorious shield with the emblem of the Phoenix on the front, designed to resist all flame. He'd surely need it less he wanted to die.
---
"My phone blew up in my pocket, and my nuts are gone."
#6Flamechamp2333(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 12:56:23 PM
screw casuals. Let them play casual games like Call of Duty or Lego Indiana Jones while we hardcore gamers get games like SKyrim and Fable.
---
this screenshot is for warcraft 3 players: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5835/masscritters.jpg
#7sunbro1Posted 4/10/2013 12:57:46 PM
Flamechamp2333 posted...
screw casuals. Let them play casual games like Call of Duty or Lego Indiana Jones while we hardcore gamers get games like SKyrim and Fable.

God damn you TC if you hadn't done that more people might have agreed with you. As your first bannerman I withdraw my support.
---
Ours is the fury
#8NovaLevossidaPosted 4/10/2013 12:59:54 PM(edited)
Just as a real point on this, trolling and flaming in the topic aside,

Most games just stick with one difficulty setting for the entire playthrough. Skyrim runs into issues where if a player gets stuck, instead of changing tactics, he can just lower the difficulty level. This is akin to people not thinking smarter and just grinding out levels to overcome a boss in other RPGs.

That said, it's up to players to have that restraint to not abuse difficulty options. It's there if someone genuinely needs to lower the difficulty and also because Skyrim has such a wide array of playstyle options (including completely non-combat characters) that it would more or less be impossible to make sure all characters can handle all situations without the option to adjust difficulty. And then again players could in effect "ruin" their characters by advancing non-combat skills first and then be completely unprepared for actual combat.

Yes, it gets abused. But it's more or less necessary as a safeguard.
---
Invading world of the guilty as spirit of vengeance. The guilty pay the price.
"I cast Dia, then I strike." - A Final Fantasy XI Warrior / White Mage
#9DeimirPosted 4/10/2013 1:01:33 PM(edited)
I've played Skyrim for over 300 hours, and never touched the difficulty slider one way or the other. Most of the time I forget it's even there, but I can see why others would want it. I have a friend whose wife loves to play video games but is terribad at them, and turning the difficulty down so she can explore and have fun is a much better option than having her get flummoxed when a Deathlord FusRoDah's her into the afterlife. At the same time, there's always the hardcore crowd out there who will always want the difficulty to be one of those curves that's always approaching 'impossible' but never quite reaches it, and for whom the default hardest difficulty isn't enough.

In light of that, having a difficulty slider seems to me like it makes the game appeal to a broader audience without having to detract anything from anyone's experience, making it absolute gold from a game developer's standpoint.

EDIT: See also the never-ending debate on Fast-Travel.
---
"Everybody, please get on the plane."
"**** you, I'm getting in the plane!" -George Carlin
#10sunbro1Posted 4/10/2013 1:00:37 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
Just as a real point on this, trolling and flaming in the topic aside,

Most games just stick with one difficulty setting for the entire playthrough. Skyrim runs into issues where if a player gets stuck, instead of changing tactics, he can just lower the difficulty level. This is akin to people not thinking smarter and just grinding out levels to overcome a boss in other RPGs.

That said, it's up to players to have that restraint to not abuse difficulty options. It's there if someone genuinely needs to lower the difficulty and also because Skyrim has such a wide array of playstyle options (including completely non-combat characters) that it would more or less be impossible to make sure all characters can handle all situations without the option to adjust difficulty. And then again players could in effect "ruin" their characters by advancing non-combat skills first and then be completely unprepared for actual combat.

Yes, it gets abused. But it's more or less necessary as a safeguard.

Maybe they should build a better character. This is meant to be an RPG.
---
Ours is the fury