Skyrim would have reviewed a lot higher if it didn't have a difficulty slider

#91orypinkPosted 4/10/2013 6:26:58 PM
I don't get this topic. Is he trying to say the people who reviewed this game played on easy, and that made them not give a higher score?
#92OsteoporozisPosted 4/10/2013 6:38:37 PM(edited)
Ever since Oblivion, everything in an Elder Scrolls game is leveled, and you can be the archmage or master of the fighter's guild or savior of the land without ever replacing your starting gear. The difficulty slider just makes it easier. If you want a hardcore Elder Scrolls experience go play Daggerfall or Morrowind, because it's just another console RPG now.
The truth is that most of the game's players ARE casuals and give Bethesda most of their money. They're not artists, they're game developers; much like a musician "selling out", the idea is not to please the few more but to please the many less. The "hardcore" RPG players such as us would immensely enjoy an older-styled Skyrim, but instead the "casual" players buy it and throw it on the stack with the rest of the mediocre RPGs.
---
Never heard a man speak like this man before.
#93SudiekenPosted 4/10/2013 7:00:01 PM
Osteoporozis posted...
Ever since Oblivion, everything in an Elder Scrolls game is leveled, and you can be the archmage or master of the fighter's guild or savior of the land without ever replacing your starting gear. The difficulty slider just makes it easier. If you want a hardcore Elder Scrolls experience go play Daggerfall or Morrowind, because it's just another console RPG now.
The truth is that most of the game's players ARE casuals and give Bethesda most of their money. They're not artists, they're game developers; much like a musician "selling out", the idea is not to please the few more but to please the many less. The "hardcore" RPG players such as us would immensely enjoy an older-styled Skyrim, but instead the "casual" players buy it and throw it on the stack with the rest of the mediocre RPGs.

Pretty much this. If you want to experience the golden age of TES buy one of the two. If your PC can handle it grab Morrowind GOTY Edition on Steam for $20 along with some graphical overhaul mods for added awesomeness.
#94BlackWizardMagusPosted 4/10/2013 7:08:51 PM
Flamechamp2333 posted...
screw casuals. Let them play casual games like Call of Duty or Lego Indiana Jones while we hardcore gamers get games like SKyrim and Fable.

I agree, screw casuals; let them play casual games like, well, Skyrim and Fable, because...really? Real RPGs would be like Planescape, or Morrowind, or Dark Souls. Skyrim is pretty casual, with several different ways to completely break it. BUT, you kinda need a difficulty slider, since, yet again, Bethesda made it really easy to completely screw yourself if you don't research how leveling works.

And scored higher? Higher than GOTY, perfect 10, etc?
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#95CyhortI82Posted 4/10/2013 7:39:32 PM
I like that you said in your opinion, but in my opinion, games should never force you to play at a certain difficulty. Just because you don't want easy games, doesn't mean other people don't either. That's the whole reason why difficulty options exist.
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I believe in the Straight Edge Savior and the Mizziah I love DLC :)
#96TrialZero654Posted 4/10/2013 7:51:43 PM(edited)
Flamechamp2333 posted...
....when you can just lower the difficulty and blow the monster with a few hits. It sets a bad precedent in rpg's and players should never being given the option.

giggity
---
"Our glory and our downfall. Embrace the terrible risks of war; drive home the spear." - A Talent For War
GT: Trialzero
#97TKDBoy1889Posted 4/10/2013 8:16:47 PM
Flamechamp2333 posted...
screw casuals. Let them play casual games like Call of Duty or Lego Indiana Jones while we hardcore gamers get games like SKyrim and Fable.

Two things made me not support you per this statement. One, saying screw casuals is, well.... how the heck are casuals even defined aynmore. I dislike the term. Is a casual somebody is not skilled or someone who does gaming only as a hobby? The term is stupid.

Second, you called Fable a game for hardcore gamers. The first one was pretty good but 2 and 3 are so simplified it's unreal. Not to mention that in them, YOU CAN'T DIE. Completely contradicts the whole point of this topic.
#98JohnRyan1228Posted 4/10/2013 8:18:55 PM
its less a matter of difficulty levels as it is a matter of level scaling. i think that hurts the rpg aspect more than anything else
---
Keep this topic alive!!!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/583794-pong/65854220
#99gullgullgullPosted 4/10/2013 8:19:34 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#100IamI3rianPosted 4/10/2013 8:32:41 PM
I'm not reading through all of this nonsense, but it's a moot point. You simply won't see (many) monsters above your level. Everything scales.

It's not like you head too far west, and come across difficult enemies. Everything you fight is designed to be something you've got a reasonable chance (at least) of winning.

There's a few exceptions (like Krosis)... but that's a pretty broad statement which holds true.

So yeah. Flamechamp would know this had he actually played the game. Wasn't even aware that there isn't a difficulty slider.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya.
OSG-> Best corp in Dust.