Would you take a better engine, story choice and combat for a smaller world?

#31roadkill888Posted 4/11/2013 9:22:10 AM
Replace all those with a cooler loot system(hand placed) and yep.
---
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain. It's time to toss the dice.
GT:yan templer
#32Erroneous_SnakePosted 4/11/2013 9:47:35 AM
Eric_Prescott posted...
The engine is fine, as is the combat. So no, I wouldn't.

I never understand this line of thinking. Something can always be improved because nothing is perfect. How many patches have we had already that added to this game? That's the kind of stupid attitude that would have cost us building our own homes, mounted combat, crossbows, magic kill cams, and dragon mounts/new dragons.

Change is the key to development and development will bring us an even more incredible game. If you want to be overly complacent then go play arena and never ask for any improvement ever.
---
This message has been brought to you from my Galaxy Nexus
#33BarneyMcbiggle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 11:52:21 AM
Ajd_King posted...
Good writing is superficial now.

Some people treat it that way, it ridiculous! Do you know how many people whine and say that games use good writing as a gimmick to cover up crappy game play? (mostly Mass Effect haters)
---
You want a piece of me, boy?
#34Bane766Posted 4/12/2013 3:53:21 AM
sunbro1 posted...
Bane766 posted...
No.

I'm fine with the game the way it was made. I know what the TES games are. I like the HUGE world. It's one of the biggest draws for me. To sacrifice that for a 'bettter' story. HELL NO!

Morrowind wasn't that big and had a great story and Daggerfall was randomly generated.

Morrowind is my fav TES game-it's in my top 3 games of all time, actually. I know all about it. As others pointed out the story isn't in your face, it's subte. And the story is only ok-not great. What made that game great was the exploration, the non leveled items you could find, non-leveled enemies, some of the factions, flying, etc. I do like the leveling system better in Skyrim-and the improved combat system.

I'm sorry, but I read books. What people in VG's consider a 'great story' is pretty pathetic compared to a book. And Skyrim's combat isn't bad. It's not fantastic...but I'm not in it for a combat game. I'm in it for the exploration and the other stuff.
---
Douleur Peur Mort
#35PathlessBulletPosted 4/12/2013 4:04:00 AM
Brenz0r posted...
Absolutely.

---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#36silverhunter16Posted 4/12/2013 4:35:28 AM
Just give me better faction stories. I could care less about story but I would kill for better faction quests that didn't end up with you as the leader after 5 quests (I'm looking at you CoW).

The faction quests in Oblivion were infinitely superior to any factions in Skyrim in both length and story, plus they had memorable missions like whodunit and the great heist.

I just want better faction quests to be in the next ES game more than anything.
---
"Okay, look. We both said a lot of things your going to regret but I think we can put our differences behind use. For science. You monster.
#37Bane766Posted 4/12/2013 4:38:47 AM(edited)
BarneyMcbiggle posted...
Ajd_King posted...
Good writing is superficial now.

Some people treat it that way, it ridiculous! Do you know how many people whine and say that games use good writing as a gimmick to cover up crappy game play? (mostly Mass Effect haters)

Ya know, ME had a decent story going for it...until the end. It was pretty good. But they just couldn't close. Even with the revised crap they did.

Again, as I said, VG's are NOT there with books as far as story goes. They just aren't.

Also opinions about stories are subjective. I thought Skyrim's MQ storyline was decent. It wasn't awesome...but it wasn't bad either.

So would I sacrifice a THIRD of the game for a slightly improved story? Again, a resounding HELL NO! That would be stupid, IMO.
---
Douleur Peur Mort
#38heartherevengePosted 4/12/2013 6:02:40 AM
Scorex_VII posted...
Yes...Any day of the year. Fallout 3 had a very small world, compared to Skyrim and especially Oblivion, and still managed to have a awesome world with intresting locations, minus the obvious repetition of layouts and textures....There is so much you can do...

uh, you remember the subways right?
---
psn::heartherevenge
GT: heretherevenge
#39bcoulter1994Posted 4/12/2013 6:18:28 AM
definitely, especially if that 66% remaining was well designed and unique.
---
The first game i remember playing is OOT so Im the best kind of biased
#40XXXFLUFFPosted 4/12/2013 6:27:35 AM
Bane766 posted...
No.

I'm fine with the game the way it was made. I know what the TES games are. I like the HUGE world. It's one of the biggest draws for me. To sacrifice that for a 'bettter' story. HELL NO!

This. I have to say I got fed up with all the "critical" conversation in Mass Effect. Having to listen to every little detail just to make the right choice got irritating.

If I want to speak to people, I will go and have a chat with someone. Like, a real person.
---
If you try to fail and succeed, what happened?
If a turtle has no shell is it naked or homeless?