Which "Skyrim alternative" is your favorite?

#1Justin2KrelianPosted 4/15/2013 2:20:44 PM
Of the following... - Results (191 votes)
Dragon Age Origins
37.17% (71 votes)
Dark Souls
23.04% (44 votes)
Dragon's Dogma
28.27% (54 votes)
Fable
11.52% (22 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Hopefully this isn't off-topic, but I was curious which of these Skyrim fans preferred. Not sure if I should've included Fable.
#2SoulOfFaythPosted 4/15/2013 2:24:08 PM
What about Kingdoms of Amalur? I don't think I heard much about it since it was released, was it a big flop?
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#3MrcTOtheJPosted 4/15/2013 2:25:03 PM
SoulOfFayth posted...
What about Kingdoms of Amalur? I don't think I heard much about it since it was released, was it a big flop?

It wasn't bad it was just too cartoony for my tastes, and was just wasn't anything that wowed me.
---
Currently Playing: Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, NFS:MW 2012
Currently waiting for: GTAV, LR:FFXIII, Grid 2
#4TrialZero654Posted 4/15/2013 2:29:19 PM
SoulOfFayth posted...

i absolutely loved the game, but the only real draw was the combat system, which wasn't especially deep but very fun and satisfying no matter what "class" you played as

other than that, the settings were very fantastic and well done, its one of the best fantasy worlds i've played in, in the last few years

however, the story was pretty generic, and there was too much loot (if such a thing exists)

the MAIN complaint about the game that almost everyone expressed, was the game's lack of difficulty, even on the hardest setting the game was very easy, partly because it was too easy to become overpowered even with easily obtained gear, and partly because potions dropped like candy, and there was no cooldown on them so you could just spam drink potions to survive any battle

before i quit playing there was talk from the devs of a free DLC which would adjust the difficulty (or add a new, actually hard[er] difficulty), but i don't know what came of this
---
"Our glory and our downfall. Embrace the terrible risks of war; drive home the spear." - A Talent For War
GT: Trialzero
#5HatchetHoundPosted 4/15/2013 2:30:42 PM
As of now, DA:O.

This may change once I play Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen in like, a week.
---
"Mistakes are just a part of learning. You donít become an Expert At Bandit Extermination without accidentally offing a few farmers, for instance."
#6sakatuyaPosted 4/15/2013 2:45:09 PM
I would have voted for Dark Souls..but Dogmas got me hooked. That combat yo.
#7TaigaWilliamPosted 4/15/2013 2:49:20 PM
Dragon's Dogma, but I don't consider it a Skyrim alternative. It is an incredible ARPG with the makings for a great story. The great story might have been butchered and thrown unceremoniously into a heap near the end of the game, but it was mostly there. Also, pawns are incredible. I haven't felt more connected to random made characters since my Final Fantasy Tactics generics.
---
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8ztd9wKYf1r2zzpyo1_r1_250.gif
#8TrialZero654Posted 4/15/2013 2:50:09 PM
Dragon's Dogma definitely has my vote, that was just a fantastic game all around, the combat against gigantic monsters really reminded me of the Monster Hunter games, another classic series

the thing is, there really isn't one thing about Dragon's Dogma that i can pinpoint and say :"this is the best part of the game", it was just an all around enjoyable experience, i always have fond memories of Capcom's "killing huge monters" games like Lost Planet, Monster hunter, and now Dragon's Dogma

if i had one complaint, it would be that it wasn't really an online game, like Monster Hunter, you had to take down these huge monsters just by yourself and with an AI companion, it felt much more fulfilling to work together with several other human players to take down a huge monster
---
"Our glory and our downfall. Embrace the terrible risks of war; drive home the spear." - A Talent For War
GT: Trialzero
#9SoulOfFaythPosted 4/15/2013 2:51:25 PM
i absolutely loved the game, but the only real draw was the combat system, which wasn't especially deep but very fun and satisfying no matter what "class" you played as

Is the combat 'not deep' like in Skyrim, where it's just basic hack and slash and point and cast? Because I actually like the simplicity of it.
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#10shorthandlePosted 4/15/2013 3:00:23 PM
but the only real draw was the combat system, which wasn't especially deep but very fun and satisfying no matter what "class" you played as

I agree that auto-targeting isn't especially deep, and I don't find it satisfying at all.