Have I somehow gimped my stealth build?

#1pinky0926Posted 4/19/2013 1:50:26 AM
I made a pure stealth build. Light Armour, Sneak, Archery, daggers, etc. Perfect for Thieves and assassination. Nothing weird or unusual, the typical ranger/rogue build. I finished most of the thieves guild quests and got the Nightingale Armour and Bow. I don't use illusion or alchemy, and I haven't smithed or enchanted any gear. I've invested all my points in sneak, archery,

I'm now level 30 and things are still difficult. I'll go into a cave and a Bandit Plunderer will take 2-3 sneak shots to drop, in the meantime unless I drop him quickly the rest of them discover me and I have hell to pay. Don't get me started on Blood Dragons. Can't even scratch their health without getting blasted 2-3 times and dying horribly.

I read topics about other people going through an entire "difficult" cave one-shotting everything without being seen. This hasn't been the case. My character is stealthy - rarely spotted unless I attack directly - and his pickpocketing is excellent. It's just that I struggle to actually...kill anything except mid-level bandits.

What are the cardinal rules of stealth builds? A lot of people say stealth characters are easy, but my very first character who was an old-fashioned sword/shield tank curb-stomped everything.

I'm thinking I should make my own gear, enchant them and get azura's star. Makes the Nightingale stuff redundant though :(
---
CE's Resident Scotsman.
Recently sigwiped.
#2lunarswordPosted 4/19/2013 1:59:19 AM(edited)
Plunderers will need 398 points of damage to kill in one hit. so unless your bow + arrow = 133, then you won't be doing it that way. daggers are only overpowered when you combine Assassin's Blade perk and a double backstab effect from one of the Shrouded hand pieces (wraps or gauntlets) for a x30 sneak hit (you could one hit that Plunderer with a 13-14 damage dagger)

also keep in mind these values are only for Adept difficulty. Master would make you need twice as much damage for example
---
"This is all me. This is ALL ME!"
Video play throughs at - http://www.youtube.com/user/DreadArkive
#3pinky0926(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 2:08:38 AM
lunarsword posted...
Plunderers will need 398 points of damage to kill in one hit. so unless your bow + arrow = 133, then you won't be doing it that way. daggers are only overpowered when you combine Assassin's Blade perk and a double backstab effect from one of the Shrouded hand pieces (wraps or gauntlets) for a x30 sneak hit (you could one hit that Plunderer with a 13-14 damage dagger)

also keep in mind these values are only for Adept difficulty. Master would make you need twice as much damage for example

Good to know. I think I need to start investing in smithing and enchanting, I've avoided it altogether so far to make the game challenging but I think I'm getting to the point where it's required to be an effective stealth build.
---
CE's Resident Scotsman.
Recently sigwiped.
#4TaigaWilliamPosted 4/19/2013 2:15:50 AM
Yeah, shrouded gloves are stealth staples. If you want a good stealth compatible crafting skill, consider pumping alchemy. You can use whatever gear you want, and pop a multiple effect poison and a marksman potion to silently boost your damage. It also gives access to regular invisibility potions for silly antics.
#5TrialZero654Posted 4/19/2013 2:21:29 AM
pinky0926 posted...
lunarsword posted...

Good to know. I think I need to start investing in smithing and enchanting, I've avoided it altogether so far to make the game challenging but I think I'm getting to the point where it's required to be an effective stealth build.

this is really the most obvious answer, because without ANY smithing or enchanting (but mostly smithing), you're going to reach a point where .... well, the point you're at right now, where enemies are too hard to kill, impossible to 1-shot, and thus make stealth-oriented gameplay completely useless unless your goal is to not kill anyone (also challenging)

because unless you pull out some tricky maneuvers involving potions and/or spells, that first attack is going to give away your position if it doesn't kill the dude, effectively removing all point of sneaking
---
"Our glory and our downfall. Embrace the terrible risks of war; drive home the spear." - A Talent For War
GT: Trialzero
#6pinky0926(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 2:30:21 AM
TrialZero654 posted...
pinky0926 posted...
lunarsword posted...

this is really the most obvious answer, because without ANY smithing or enchanting (but mostly smithing), you're going to reach a point where .... well, the point you're at right now, where enemies are too hard to kill, impossible to 1-shot, and thus make stealth-oriented gameplay completely useless unless your goal is to not kill anyone (also challenging)

because unless you pull out some tricky maneuvers involving potions and/or spells, that first attack is going to give away your position if it doesn't kill the dude, effectively removing all point of sneaking

Lol, it's funny. I overpowered my first builds because I enchanted/smithed a lot, I tried this time around not using it at all and it's become too hard :/
---
CE's Resident Scotsman.
Recently sigwiped.
#7TaigaWilliamPosted 4/19/2013 2:42:46 AM
Using favorited potions is hardly tricky. Also, popping an invisibility potion after a shot that doesn't kill is an easy way to reposition and regain stealth. I was an alchemy only bound bow stealth archer for ages moving steadily up from adept to master. As long as you have good potions, you can handle anything.
#8LockeadonPosted 4/19/2013 3:42:17 AM
out of curiousity what race are you? maybe you will have an easier time if you take advantage of your racial abilities more? i know that my orc's berserk more or less guarantees one hit kills from stealth once i got the sneak attack perks so maybe you have something useful that your overlooking?
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#9AgainstTheEchoPosted 4/19/2013 3:48:51 AM
100 Stealth
100 Archery
High Level Heavy Armour.

Never had a problem with sneaking or fighting off the rabble after I've been seen.
#10LockeadonPosted 4/19/2013 3:56:01 AM
also alchemy can make a stealth character absolutely deadly. those poisons especially will help your damage alot and so with fortifying your damage skills. and with the poisoner perk if you reverse pickpocket poison onto someone they will suffer the effects immediately. useful for weakening or even killing enemies without drawing much attention.
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider