Your first trip to Markarth (small spoilers)

#1LordTrinenPosted 4/19/2013 11:34:13 AM
During your very first playthrough how did you first end up in Markarth? - Results (104 votes)
Walked there
32.69% (34 votes)
Took a carriage
22.12% (23 votes)
Met Sam, got drunk and woke up in the Temple of Dibella
45.19% (47 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Markarth is arguably the most isolated city in Skyrim on the far west of the map. Getting there on foot is no easy feat with all the hills, mountains and Forsworn running around. Two simpler ways of getting there are by carriage or having a drinking contest with Sam Guevenne.

My first time was by meeting Sam. I was playing a rogue/thief character so naturally I went to Riften early to join the Thieves Guild. I was focusing most of my exploration on the eastern side of Skyrim. I hadn't gone much further west than Whiterun and hadn't visited Solitude, Morthal, Falkreath or Markarth.

I met Sam in the Riften tavern. Without knowing what would happen I agreed to the drinking contest. Next thing I knew I had blacked out and woke up in a strange temple where a priestess was accusing me of fondling the statues... I'll never forget the feeling when I first emerged from the Temple. I thought I was still in Riften or someplace nearby. Instead I found myself in completely unfamiliar surroundings. I quickly consulted my map and realized I had jumped from one end of the world map to the other. I wasn't ready for this yet so I reloaded a previous save and later went to Markarth on foot.

I love how unpredictable this game can be.
#2VeezaraPosted 4/19/2013 12:16:52 PM(edited)
Walked, I didn't know about carriages back then. I wasn't going there for any quest purpose, just wondering the wilds and came across Markarth.
#3DeathByMusic68Posted 4/19/2013 12:21:47 PM
Pretty much exactly what you did TC, only I didn't reload a previous save, I completed the mission
---
http://i.imgur.com/WYOdyH5.jpg
#4silverhunter16Posted 4/19/2013 12:25:45 PM
My first time was because of Sam.

Until then, I stuck primarily to Whiterun and Winterhold just slowly exploring them and selling loot to buy more spells at the college. I went into the Frozen Hearth to continue Azura's mission and when Sam said something about a staff I thought It'd help my mage out and the rest is history.
---
"Okay, look. We both said a lot of things your going to regret but I think we can put our differences behind use. For science. You monster.
#5EddMarioPosted 4/19/2013 12:25:57 PM
Veezara posted...
Walked, I didn't know about carriages back then.

Same here.
---
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
#6DougymcPosted 4/19/2013 12:39:39 PM
EddMario posted...
Veezara posted...
Walked, I didn't know about carriages back then.

Same here.

Indeed. Me as well.
#7mudrunner777Posted 4/19/2013 12:41:10 PM
Same as TC but for me it got a bit stranger.

I was drunk in real life at the time so it took me a while to get my bearings. I kind of wandered around Markarth and ended up getting sucked into The Taste of Death quest. I got to the end without really thinking about the consequences of my actions and before I knew it well... most of you guys know how that quest ends. I finally realized what was going on and was pretty horrified.

Pretty messed up, my first trip to Markarth. <3 Skyrim.
#8jammymacsterPosted 4/19/2013 12:44:10 PM
Also Sam. I had mainly explored the area around Whiterun and then went to Ivarstead. That's where I came across Sam. When I left the Temple to find myself in completely unfamiliar surroundings I felt a bit over-whelmed. Not only did I not no any of the city but I didn't know where the entrance to the city was either.

I ended up finding my way out and taking a carriage back to Whiterun.
---
http://goo.gl/UEC2Y
#9Mick65Posted 4/19/2013 1:02:28 PM
I met Sam in the Winking Skeever. I had the main quest tagged, but was just wandering around Skyrim exploring and doing whatever quests I ran into. When I left the temple I knew I was nowhere I'd been before but it was night and I got that feeling when you are leaning back in a chair and catch yourself just before you fall as I abruptly came upon the edge of the tower.

I explored my first dwemer ruin, got my first daedric artifact and saw my first unprovoked murder. I knew I liked Markarth.
The architecture is pretty cool too.
---
JAFO