Are iron daggers still the best way to level up smithing?

#1Soul_On_DisplayPosted 4/23/2013 7:57:16 PM
I haven't made a new character in a while up until now, so it's been a while since I've needed to worry about leveling up. Also, which ingredient would help me level up alchemy the fastest? I've been using giant toes and wheat for alchemy. Thanks in advance.
---
Xbox Live: Eighth Element || PSN: Echo_Resonance || 3DS FC: 4012-3485-5071
~TL;DR? Don't care.~ || ~ World's #1 Camper Hater ~
#2theonyxphoenixPosted 4/23/2013 7:59:48 PM
there is a section on how to quickly increase crafting skill in the useful info sticky
---
He doesn't row.
#3FredCat07Posted 4/23/2013 8:00:00 PM
Yes, you should continue using those two recipe to level up faster. Even with patch, they're still the useful recipes.
---
What'the matter? Disliked my grammar?
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5vz0vCbdS1r1g5kzo1_500.gif
#4sakatuyaPosted 4/23/2013 8:17:37 PM
Blue mountain flower add blue butterfly wing. BOOM.
Wheat add Giants Toe. BAM.
Profit. BLOP.

Plus the sticky.
#5AlabamaLovePosted 4/23/2013 8:30:06 PM
Transmute iron ore into gold
make gold rings

iron daggers are terrible now
---
http://i.imgur.com/bgevz.gif http://i.imgur.com/Gqlg3.gif
#6Semi-AutomaticPosted 4/23/2013 8:31:50 PM
IF you resto loop smithing potions I think you can get 100 smithing in a few potions. It would save you a considerable amount of time.
---
I put thought into every thing I say and type. I expect everyone else to do the same..
#7demonwyrmPosted 4/23/2013 9:00:12 PM
Semi-Automatic posted...
IF you resto loop smithing potions I think you can get 100 smithing in a few potions. It would save you a considerable amount of time.

Do you have to have all the appropriate perks in alchemy activated to get this to work? I've tried it relying strictly on enchanting (enchanting at 100 + all 5 enchanting perks as well as Insightful Enchanter and Corpus Enchanter. No perks in alchemy) and it doesn't work. I'll loop it one time and everything will be slightly more powerful. After that, nothing happens, no matter how many times I try and loop it. I'm pretty sure I'm following the procedure correctly: equip alchemy gear, create potion, drink potion, unequip and then re-equip gear, repeat...
#8BiggyDXPosted 4/23/2013 9:15:30 PM
No. They are mainly good for when you need to get your enchanting level up quickly when you don't have any other items available.

From my understanding, the patch made Smithing progression tied to the value of the item you produce. So technically, the fastest way would be to make Gold Diamond Necklaces and Rings. Obviously getting either of the two is difficult, so a common way to level up is by smithing Dwarven Bows.

Just keep all the iron daggers you made and use them for when you want to grind out enchanting. Enchanting a weapon gives a flat value of experience for all items, so it doesn't rely on the quality of the weapon. Its simply a matter of disenchanting certain equipment and how many times you've enchanted.
---
Gamertag: My user name
#9Stormvale12Posted 4/23/2013 9:30:07 PM
demonwyrm posted...
Semi-Automatic posted...

Do you have to have all the appropriate perks in alchemy activated to get this to work? I've tried it relying strictly on enchanting (enchanting at 100 + all 5 enchanting perks as well as Insightful Enchanter and Corpus Enchanter. No perks in alchemy) and it doesn't work. I'll loop it one time and everything will be slightly more powerful. After that, nothing happens, no matter how many times I try and loop it. I'm pretty sure I'm following the procedure correctly: equip alchemy gear, create potion, drink potion, unequip and then re-equip gear, repeat...

Not if your alchemy is high enough. I did was able to do it with a level 81 character with no perks in alchemy. Though, I should note that I did perk into enchanting some.
---
White 2 FC: 1679 3141 2693
#10Soul_On_Display(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 10:28:41 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys :)

Also, as hopefully my last question, is the restoration potion loop still available? The kind where you could have 10,000+ damage weapons and armor? I know it is frowned upon, but sometimes it's fun to just put on some OP items and ROFLstomp enemies.
---
Xbox Live: Eighth Element || PSN: Echo_Resonance || 3DS FC: 4012-3485-5071
~TL;DR? Don't care.~ || ~ World's #1 Camper Hater ~