The Civil War and Season Unending (spoilers)

#1LordTrinenPosted 4/23/2013 9:09:53 PM
When completing the main story how do you resolve the peace conference? - Results (49 votes)
I complete the Civil War first and bypass the peace conference.
34.69% (17 votes)
I hold the peace conference and favor the Imperials.
26.53% (13 votes)
I hold the peace conference and favor the Stormcloaks.
12.24% (6 votes)
I hold the peace conference but don't favor either side.
26.53% (13 votes)
This poll is now closed.
There is so much to do in Skyrim that you can ignore the Civil War and the main story for as long as you want with little consequence. However both questlines are intertwined and come together during Season Unending. You need the Jarl of Whiterun's help to defeat Alduin but he won't budge until he is certain neither the Stormcloaks or the Imperials will attack while he is helping you.

To secure his cooperation you need to either end the Civil War or get both sides to agree to a temporary truce. If the latter option is chosen a peace conference is held at High Hrothgar, during which you can heavily support one side or try to arrange an even agreement.

When you reach this point in the story which route do you prefer to take?
#2SuperFlikPosted 4/23/2013 9:13:36 PM
Unfortunately, it's impossible to be unbiased in Season Unending, one side will always act like they got the raw end of the deal no matter what.
---
Zelos Wilder: "Demon Fang! Demon Fang! Demon Fang!
Damn, I must be a genius! Double Demon Fang!"
#3Jstretch19Posted 4/23/2013 9:19:50 PM
SuperFlik posted...
Unfortunately, it's impossible to be unbiased in Season Unending, one side will always act like they got the raw end of the deal no matter what.

Just because one side gets buttmad doesn't mean they actually got screwed.
#4clone11Posted 4/23/2013 9:35:45 PM
Honestly, when you do things that are "pro-Imperial" you're honestly not even being that unfair and Ulfric still gets buttmad.

"What? Riften for Markarth? But that's a fair trade... HOW COULD YOU DO THIS DRAGONBORN? DON'T LOVE YOU LOVE SKYRIM."

"I want Falkreath and I don't want to give anything in return. And if you don't give it to me, you're obviously a biased Imperial lover."

I thought I was being completely fair too. Made the Thalmor leave. Fair trade for Markarth. And didn't let Ulfric get something for nothing.

Nope, apparently that makes me a filthy Imperial lover.
---
"Let the God-forsaken bastards sing."
"Zin krif horvut se suleyk"
#5Jstretch19Posted 4/23/2013 9:43:30 PM(edited)
clone11 posted...
Honestly, when you do things that are "pro-Imperial" you're honestly not even being that unfair and Ulfric still gets buttmad.

"What? Riften for Markarth? But that's a fair trade... HOW COULD YOU DO THIS DRAGONBORN? DON'T LOVE YOU LOVE SKYRIM."

"I want Falkreath and I don't want to give anything in return. And if you don't give it to me, you're obviously a biased Imperial lover."

I thought I was being completely fair too. Made the Thalmor leave. Fair trade for Markarth. And didn't let Ulfric get something for nothing.

Protip: the Empire and the Cloaks behave in almost the exact same manner during that quest. The sides just reverse depending on your "score" during the negotiation.
#6VasDeferensPosted 4/23/2013 10:08:01 PM
This quest is now the reason I start the Civil War quests last . I put them off until I get to this part of the MQ at least .

The Civil War affects so much more than the MQ . Some house targets for the Thieves Guild radiant quests might be blocked due to the Battle of Whiterun for example .
#7clone11Posted 4/23/2013 10:16:33 PM
Jstretch19 posted...
clone11 posted...

Protip: the Empire and the Cloaks behave in almost the exact same manner during that quest. The sides just reverse depending on your "score" during the negotiation.

Not sure what you mean. If you mean, Tullius gets upset too when I support the Stormcloaks over him, then yeah, but he has good reason for it. He's not demanding anything and expecting to give nothing in return. If I do the pro-Stormcloak thing and give him Winterhold for Markarth, I think he has pretty good reason to be upset. Same goes with having him just give up Falkreath for nothing in return.

More importantly, I was on my first playthrough when this happened and was pro-Stormcloak at the time. I was only trying to be fair, since I was essentially the moderator of the negotiations, and yet somehow I end up being pro-Imperial by looking at the situation in a reasonable manner. And by the end of it, in my opinion, Ulfric was being nothing but an unreasonable baby.
---
#8Jstretch19Posted 4/23/2013 10:22:47 PM
clone11 posted...
Not sure what you mean. If you mean, Tullius gets upset too when I support the Stormcloaks over him, then yeah, but he has good reason for it. He's not demanding anything and expecting to give nothing in return. If I do the pro-Stormcloak thing and give him Winterhold for Markarth, I think he has pretty good reason to be upset. Same goes with having him just give up Falkreath for nothing in return.

More importantly, I was on my first playthrough when this happened and was pro-Stormcloak at the time. I was only trying to be fair, since I was essentially the moderator of the negotiations, and yet somehow I end up being pro-Imperial by looking at the situation in a reasonable manner. And by the end of it, in my opinion, Ulfric was being nothing but an unreasonable baby.

The UESP article gives more info: http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Season_Unending

But basically both sides get buttmad at a neutral treaty if you're on their side.
#9clone11Posted 4/23/2013 10:26:19 PM
Odd. I literally have never had it happen differently, no matter what side I take. :\
---
#10Jstretch19Posted 4/23/2013 10:32:31 PM
clone11 posted...
Odd. I literally have never had it happen differently, no matter what side I take. :\

I'm pretty sure you have to get an exactly zero score to get a neutral treaty.