Um ... What's happening with my conjure ability?

#11thekosmicfool part 2Posted 4/25/2013 12:41:56 AM
silverhunter16 posted...
jammymacster posted...
It only happens with spells you cast on yourself. Summon spells fall into that category. It can be exploited though. If you cast Guardian Circle and stand in it you will continuously absorb magicka from it. I think the same happens with Circle of Protection.

It doesn't, just to clarify.

The only reason guardian circle works is because of the secondary effect to restore health while in it is the effect that is being absorbed. This means that when you regenerate magic by absorbing the healing effect of guardian circle, you aren't regenerating health and visa-verse.

Circle of protection doesn't have this secondary healing effect so there is nothing to absorb.

Just an FYI.

You can definitely absorb Circle of Protection energy.
---
gfaqs9...Never forget. Never forget.
#12RikiazPosted 4/25/2013 2:01:04 AM(edited)
It only happens with spells you cast on yourself. Summon spells fall into that category. It can be exploited though. If you cast Guardian Circle and stand in it you will continuously absorb magicka from it. I think the same happens with Circle of Protection.

It only works on spells that cast on self that are flagged Dangerous. Only summons fit this.

The Circle spells are also absorbed but for a different reason. Those spells actually summon the circle only. The circle then casts the actual effects of the spells and that is why you absorb them.
---
In death lays ecstasy, in undeath lays immortality
#13silverhunter16Posted 4/25/2013 2:50:43 AM
thekosmicfool part 2 posted...
silverhunter16 posted...
jammymacster posted...

The only reason guardian circle works is because of the secondary effect to restore health while in it is the effect that is being absorbed. This means that when you regenerate magic by absorbing the healing effect of guardian circle, you aren't regenerating health and visa-verse.

Circle of protection doesn't have this secondary healing effect so there is nothing to absorb.

Just an FYI.

I've tried to absorb circle of protection with 100% spell absorb several time on several different characters between 2 different Skyrim disc and I have NEVER absorbed anything from circle of protection.
---
"Okay, look. We both said a lot of things your going to regret but I think we can put our differences behind use. For science. You monster.
#14lenmuttPosted 4/25/2013 3:01:54 AM
my mage walked all the way from the college for the antronach stone >_< i was quickly reminded about this VERY OLD issue *sigh*

whats kinda odd is i always vanish when i cast a summon even if i don't absorb it

anyways i'm wondering if it worth keeping :/
#15silverhunter16Posted 4/25/2013 4:06:17 AM
lenmutt posted...
my mage walked all the way from the college for the antronach stone >_< i was quickly reminded about this VERY OLD issue *sigh*

whats kinda odd is i always vanish when i cast a summon even if i don't absorb it

The atronach stone is more useful for melee build cause the downsides are nearly moot for them. Magic regeneration is not important to them and they can fully use spell absorb without worrying about a whole skill becoming useless.

It's total crap that spell absorb handicaps a mage by taking away more than half the useful spells in conjuration.
---
"Okay, look. We both said a lot of things your going to regret but I think we can put our differences behind use. For science. You monster.
#16lenmuttPosted 4/25/2013 4:17:31 AM
silverhunter16 posted...
lenmutt posted...

The atronach stone is more useful for melee build cause the downsides are nearly moot for them. Magic regeneration is not important to them and they can fully use spell absorb without worrying about a whole skill becoming useless.

It's total crap that spell absorb handicaps a mage by taking away more than half the useful spells in conjuration.

yeah i just forgot as my higher lvl orc who has high conjuration doesn't rely on magic

so it slipped my mind going to my breton and yeeah it kinda BS considering that Conjuration is key for pure mage lucky for me i only ran into a hag and some necromancers but if a strong melee enemy came at me i may have been screwed :/
#17silverhunter16Posted 4/25/2013 6:11:53 AM
lenmutt posted...
silverhunter16 posted...
lenmutt posted...

yeah i just forgot as my higher lvl orc who has high conjuration doesn't rely on magic

so it slipped my mind going to my breton and yeeah it kinda BS considering that Conjuration is key for pure mage lucky for me i only ran into a hag and some necromancers but if a strong melee enemy came at me i may have been screwed :/

They just screwed pure mages in this game at every turn and it's pitiful.

The variety in useful robes is next to none, spell absorption destroys conjuration, destruction has ridiculously high magic costs, master spells have a 3 sec animation that makes them impractial 90% of the time, and most gear tiered towards mages nullifies mage armor (I.E the DP masks)

It's all crap.
---
#18thekosmicfool part 2Posted 4/25/2013 10:12:26 AM
silverhunter16 posted...
thekosmicfool part 2 posted...
silverhunter16 posted...
jammymacster posted...

Just an FYI.

I've tried to absorb circle of protection with 100% spell absorb several time on several different characters between 2 different Skyrim disc and I have NEVER absorbed anything from circle of protection.

Keep trying. It doesn't always work. But it's not a situation where every time you cast it, there is a certain percent chance of you being able to absorb the energy. It literally won't work AT ALL for long stretches of time. You can cast it a hundred times and never absorb any. But then when it DOES start working, you can absorb it many times in a row, without fail.

Still haven't been able to figure out exactly what the deal is.
---
gfaqs9...Never forget. Never forget.