Why do so many people make topics about destruction being weak if it's not?

#1rx54Posted 4/25/2013 6:09:57 PM
Seems like a pretty big coincidence that 99% of topics complaining about combat in any way, shape, or form would be focused specifically on destruction.

Why aren't there as many topics complaining about archery or melee?

Am I really supposed to believe there is no truth to any degree that there is anything wrong with destruction when there is an overwhelming amount of topics about it?
There wouldn't be all these topics if there wasn't some degree of truth about it.

So many people say it's not that destruction is underpowered, it is that everything else can easily be made overpowered (apparently without even exploits or glitches).
Here is how logic works:
If everything but destruction is overpowered, that is the same as only destruction being underpowered.

I'll agree destruction is a viable method of combat up until level 40-50.
Then it's dps is dramatically lower than all other methods of combat at their highest stages, without exploits.
Hell, magic is still weaker than the other non-exploitative methods of combat even when it is exploited.

Somebody prove once and for all that the strongest combinations of perks/abilities/equipment/stones/everything that is not an exploit, for both magic and melee are completely or very close to equal, and I will give you a nobel peace prize.

Go ahead.
2nd post, prove it, in a way that can not be argued mathematically.
Find every single thing that effects the most powerful melee weapon and most powerful spell in the game that can be used at the same once.
Look on uesp or something.

All I know is that i've worked to make both my melee and magic character as powerful as they can be, and my melee character drops foes significantly faster.
That's how it was when I last played Skyrim, been a while.

Clearly if all methods of combat were equal, you would have equally as many people making topics about how the other methods of combat are weak.
I fail to see how all these strangers are in a conspiracy to lie about destruction for no reason since the day the game was released.
---
Save trees and become an atheist today!
#2FredCat07Posted 4/25/2013 6:13:00 PM
Fire is just weaker than Spark, to be honest. I started to using Spark since the day one when I was preparing to escaping the Helgen after freed my hand from bound.
---
What'the matter? Disliked my grammar?
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5vz0vCbdS1r1g5kzo1_500.gif
#3jammymacsterPosted 4/25/2013 6:14:16 PM(edited)
rx54 posted...
Why aren't there as many topics complaining about archery or melee?

Because you can make archery and melee as powerful as you want them to be. That's the real issue. It's not that Destruction is weak. It's that you can't increase it's strength to whatever values you want. In my opinion Destruction is quite balanced but there are many people that want it to be stronger. With melee and archery you have that option. With Destruction you don't.

If Bethesda would just throw in a Fortify Destruction enchant that increased the magnitude of Destruction spells rather than lower their spell cost we'd have that option and people would stop complaining.

P.S. and yay, another destruction topic.
---
http://goo.gl/UEC2Y
#4rx54(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 6:20:41 PM(edited)
FredCat07 posted...
Fire is just weaker than Spark, to be honest. I started to using Spark since the day one when I was preparing to escaping the Helgen after freed my hand from bound.

You failed my request of providing outstanding indisputable evidence.
No peace prize for you.

So many people believe that people who say destruction is weak are saying 1+1=3.
That's easily proved wrong, so I am waiting.
If we're easily wrong, then obviously that means those who think that think they are easily right.

Which means it should be easily explained in a way that can't be argued.
1+1=2.
Can't argue that.
---
#5RikiazPosted 4/25/2013 6:20:16 PM
The difference between Destruction being underpowered and everything else being overpowered is that Destruction is perfectly fine if you don't factor in how broken weapons and stealth can be. If Destruction was underpowered it would be difficult to kill things with it, but it isn't. Take an average cost redux of ~50% with Ahizidal's mask, master destruction robes, and a ring of regeneration. You will not have a hard time killing anything but the hardest enemies in the game. Therefore destruction is not underpowered. On the other side of the coin you have one-hit sneak attacks and the fact that you will almost never bee seen. Also weapons smithed to one or two shot Draugr Deathlords. Those are ever easier, therefore the logical conclusion is that weapons and stealth can easily become overpowered. Play a Warrior with no enchanting, no fortify smithing potions, and no fortify smithing enchantments. The difficulty will be around that of the mage with the set-up I mentioned before. Stealth is always broken, but it is still fun so I'm not going to talk about stealth.

Could destruction be more powerful? Yes, I'm not refuting this, nor would I be opposed to it if they would buff it a bit. Is it underpowered? No. Is it viable? Most definitely.
---
In death lays ecstasy, in undeath lays immortality
#6TheRavenKCPosted 4/25/2013 6:22:13 PM
You can do all the math you want, but compared to Oblivion destruction does seem really weak.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/TheRavenKC Play Like A Raven
http://www.xboxgamertag.com/search/TheRavenKC/
#7rx54(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 6:24:12 PM
@Rikiaz

Yes destruction merely "works" but everything else destroys.

Nobody said "I can't kill anything with this", it's "I can't kill anything with this nearly as fast as I can with any other method of combat"

In comparison to everything else, destruction is weak, aka underpowered.
Nobody says it's broken, just weak.
I never use sneak criticals when I used my melee character, I still killed things significantly faster.
---
#8RikiazPosted 4/25/2013 6:24:37 PM
You can do all the math you want, but compared to Oblivion destruction does seem really weak.

In Oblivion Destruction magic was laughable overpowered. Weakness to Magicka is the primary offender.

That said, I love using magic in Oblivion.
---
#9RikiazPosted 4/25/2013 6:28:05 PM(edited)
@Rikiaz

Yes destruction merely "works" but everything else destroys.

Nobody said "I can't kill anything with this", it's "I can't kill anything with this nearly as fast as I can with any other method of combat"

In comparison to everything else, destruction is weak, aka underpowered.
Nobody says it's broken, just weak.
I never use sneak criticals when I used my melee character, I still killed things significantly faster.

You aren't getting my point. In a single player game to decide if something is underpowered you compare it to the enemies, not to other forms of combat the player could use. Destruction is perfectly viable and powerful compared to the enemies you face. Other forms of combat, when used by the player only, are much much more powerful than it, but you have to make them more powerful. By itself, Destruction is on par with standard weapons.
---
#10MixorzPosted 4/25/2013 6:27:58 PM
Don't really know why people get all butt mad about Destruction being fine. In basically every other TES magic destroys everything. Why can't for one game Melee be better? Stop being a spoiled brat Destruction is fine with impact and potions. Stop being a whiny baby.
---
They'll always need men like us. Those who are willing to do what others cannot.
XBox Live GT: Mixorz