Why do so many people make topics about destruction being weak if it's not?

#51rx54(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 10:38:57 PM(edited)
MrGreeneJeans posted...
The only destruction spell I use is lightning storm, and that's only against dragons. It is is far more efficient at anti-air than a bow since it sprays out one steady stream of lightning. Although initially it can be somewhat weak as well, choosing the two or three damage boost perks for shock spells makes it do something like 112 dps. Not bad at all IMO.

You feel very powerful with it in close combat as well, when a kid can come up and punch you, and that overpowers you to the point you cannot cast it.

Magic is easily the coolest type of combat, it's awesome, shooting electricity or fire out of your hands.

Archery? Here's a stick, you can fire it with this stick with a string attached. Amazing.

Melee? Here swing objects.

I don't know why it feels like they spent such little time focusing on magic when it is the most appealing.
They even built an entire college and questline based on magic, yet augment perks still do nothing to wall spells to this day I believe.

They released a patch to fix the infinium and so many other things, but they still do nothing about something as big as a perk not working with what it is supposed to work with.

smh
---
Save trees and become an atheist today!
#52youshallbeasgodPosted 4/26/2013 10:56:01 PM
The main problem with destruction is your finite magicka. 3 or 4 power blows drain all your stamina but no one cares because you can still use your sword to kill stuff. And no, thanks, I'm spending my entire afternoon making stupid amulets and hoods to decrease the cost.
---
I've covered wars, you know.
#53MrGreeneJeansPosted 4/26/2013 11:01:18 PM
rx54 posted...
MrGreeneJeans posted...
The only destruction spell I use is lightning storm, and that's only against dragons. It is is far more efficient at anti-air than a bow since it sprays out one steady stream of lightning. Although initially it can be somewhat weak as well, choosing the two or three damage boost perks for shock spells makes it do something like 112 dps. Not bad at all IMO.

You feel very powerful with it in close combat as well, when a kid can come up and punch you, and that overpowers you to the point you cannot cast it.

Magic is easily the coolest type of combat, it's awesome, shooting electricity or fire out of your hands.

Archery? Here's a stick, you can fire it with this stick with a string attached. Amazing.

I don't know why it feels like they spent such little time focusing on magic when it is the most appealing.
They even built an entire college and questline based on magic, yet augment perks still do nothing to wall spells to this day I believe.

They released a patch to fix the infinium and so many other things, but they still do nothing about something as big as a perk not working with what it is supposed to work with.

smh

That's why I only use it when the dragon is flying. Once they hit half-health and land permanently on the ground, lightning storm goes back in the holster. Though I will sometimes keep using it if they land a good distance from me.
#54silverhunter16Posted 4/26/2013 11:15:07 PM
rx54 posted...
MrGreeneJeans posted...

smh

It's not just wall spells. Runes and cloak spells don't receive bonuses from the augmented perks either and only runes gain a boost from fortify destruction potions. It's just all kinds of screwy.
---
"Okay, look. We both said a lot of things your going to regret but I think we can put our differences behind use. For science. You monster.
#55rx54(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 11:18:41 PM
silverhunter16 posted...
rx54 posted...
MrGreeneJeans posted...

smh

It's not just wall spells. Runes and cloak spells don't receive bonuses from the augmented perks either and only runes gain a boost from fortify destruction potions. It's just all kinds of screwy.

That seems kinda important, like something worthy of being fixed.
Naked couriers were more of a problem though apparently.
At least the couriers will still functional, even if they enjoyed being nude, they delivered their package to your hands.
---
Save trees and become an atheist today!
#56RikiazPosted 4/26/2013 11:33:23 PM
rx54 posted...
MrGreeneJeans posted...

smh

They do benefit from perks and potions (At least the Runes and Walls do), the description is screwy though because the spells place hazards that cast the actual spell on your enemies. I believe Cloaks gain range, not magnitude, however they have the same problem. The spell only puts the cloak around you, then the cloak casts the damage spell on everything in it's range.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense.
---
In death lays ecstasy, in undeath lays immortality
#57LockeadonPosted 4/26/2013 11:53:52 PM
Xydru posted...
silverhunter16 posted...
Xydru posted...
I always thought it was funny that everyone dismisses fortify destruction potions because they're too lazy to select a potion.

I have fun with 500+ damage incinerates and 300+ chain lightning/ice storms. Dunno why no one else can.

I always thought it funny that you could do that amount of damage with melee skills without a potion.

I can do 1000+ damage with any melee skill easy without constant maintenance.

It's not a matter of laziness, it's a matter of convenience. It's more convenient to simply increase damage once and focus on combat than it is to constantly boost damage to make it on par with other combat skills. Not to mention all the other boost that combat skill have that magic is oh so conveniently missing.

That same potion that boosts destruction also boost magical damage on weapons to the same amount as your incinerate. So other than range and speed, what does destruction have that makes it so special, cause it sure as s*** ain't damage.

Why bother with destruction when other combat skills handle the same job better?

I would like a video demonstrating a weapons ability to hit several enemies simultaneously at range rapidly.

with quickshot and a strong fast bow its not exactly hard, especially from stealth becuase after you kill the first one the other enemies in the near vicinity come running over to see what happened making it easier to clear them all. im hardly a perfect shot but clearing most rooms from first enemy to last enemy takes less than a minute. you dont even need to sneak or slow down. in most cases you can just run by and one-shot everything as you go with even a partially upgraded good fast bow and good aim. hell my barely upgraded enhanced dwarven crossbow does damage in the 700s (at work so i cant check for the exact number) with only decent smithing and like 93 archery with most of the perks (everything but bullseye). a fully upgraded bow would do a hell of a lot more, especially with archery boosting gear a fortify marksman potion and all the myriad other things that add to bow damage). i cant tell if dragon aspect affects archery because my bow already one-shots most things.
and as far as melee goes we have blazing fast dps combined with massive damage (dragon aspect + elemental fury= main reason most of my weapons aren't enchanted. and two-handers have both sweep which hits everything in a small arc and the master sword which damages multiple enemies with (weak) ribbons of light.
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#58RikiazPosted 4/27/2013 12:06:17 AM
Xydru posted...
silverhunter16 posted...
Xydru posted...
I always thought it was funny that everyone dismisses fortify destruction potions because they're too lazy to select a potion.

I have fun with 500+ damage incinerates and 300+ chain lightning/ice storms. Dunno why no one else can.

I always thought it funny that you could do that amount of damage with melee skills without a potion.

It's not a matter of laziness, it's a matter of convenience. It's more convenient to simply increase damage once and focus on combat than it is to constantly boost damage to make it on par with other combat skills. Not to mention all the other boost that combat skill have that magic is oh so conveniently missing.

That same potion that boosts destruction also boost magical damage on weapons to the same amount as your incinerate. So other than range and speed, what does destruction have that makes it so special, cause it sure as s*** ain't damage.

Why bother with destruction when other combat skills handle the same job better?

I would like a video demonstrating a weapons ability to hit several enemies simultaneously at range rapidly.

with quickshot and a strong fast bow its not exactly hard, especially from stealth becuase after you kill the first one the other enemies in the near vicinity come running over to see what happened making it easier to clear them all. im hardly a perfect shot but clearing most rooms from first enemy to last enemy takes less than a minute. you dont even need to sneak or slow down. in most cases you can just run by and one-shot everything as you go with even a partially upgraded good fast bow and good aim. hell my barely upgraded enhanced dwarven crossbow does damage in the 700s (at work so i cant check for the exact number) with only decent smithing and like 93 archery with most of the perks (everything but bullseye). a fully upgraded bow would do a hell of a lot more, especially with archery boosting gear a fortify marksman potion and all the myriad other things that add to bow damage). i cant tell if dragon aspect affects archery because my bow already one-shots most things.
and as far as melee goes we have blazing fast dps combined with massive damage (dragon aspect + elemental fury= main reason most of my weapons aren't enchanted. and two-handers have both sweep which hits everything in a small arc and the master sword which damages multiple enemies with (weak) ribbons of light.

Still won't clear out an entire room as fast as Chain Lightning.
---
In death lays ecstasy, in undeath lays immortality
#59LockeadonPosted 4/27/2013 1:07:59 AM
Rikiaz posted...
Xydru posted...
silverhunter16 posted...
Xydru posted...

deleted for space.

Still won't clear out an entire room as fast as Chain Lightning.

given i can just one hit everything with my barely upgraded bow while running by and also given that most rooms have less than 5 enemies, it clearly can. chain lightning takes repeated casts to clear everything and has much shorter range than archery, so while you are wearing down the room with your aoe spells ive already killed them all and gone, especially since large groups of enemies just don't happen so if we were talking about huge masses of enemies sure chain lightning would be more efficient but that never actually happens in practice. destruction is better if your aim isn't very good and you need the aoe to take down your targets or you somehow agroed a whole dungeon. and there are exploding elemental bolts as well.
for that matter you can do a similar thing with dual wielding. you can just ohko enemies as they get close to you and only have to deviate from the quickest route through the dungeon to take out occasional archers or mages (or to loot). especially with dragon aspect + elemental fury.
the main problem with magic in general and destruction in particular is perks in the skill and alchemy are the only ways to make them more effective, while all the other skills have a myriad of ways to do so, including making your own custom stuff which can be as strong or weak as you want it to be. the lack of spellcrafting is also a huge problem, as is the inability to use magic on horseback.
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#60IamI3rianPosted 4/27/2013 1:44:45 AM(edited)
J'zargo posted...

Fire is just weaker than Sparks, to be honest. I started to using Sparks since the day one when I was preparing to escaping the Helgen after freed my hand from bound.

= )

Yeah... fixed that right up. Too easy.

EDIT: Hope no one beat me to that.

---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya.
OSG-> Best corp in Dust.