Pure Mage Build

#1RawePosted 4/28/2013 10:05:52 AM
How is a pure mage build? I never play mages in games but am willing to give it a shot. I wouldn't need to increase any armor because of Alteration's Perks right? Any specific builds I should follow?
---
PS3 - Wii - 360 - PSP - PC Gamer
Intel i5-2500k - Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Rev - EVGA GTX 570 - 8GB G.SKILL RipJaws X DDR3 1600MHZ
#2pinky0926Posted 4/28/2013 10:27:18 AM
The general consensus is that mage is fun to play, it's awesome as hell in the beginning and you'll stomp over everything much easier than other builds.

The problem comes later on as magic doesn't level up. All that happens is you get stronger spells and more magic. You'll have to get really clever with how you approach battle as simply spamming your most powerful destruction spell won't do jack any more.

Builds are easy to follow in this game. Breton or High Elf, mage stone, destruction, alteration, restoration, illusion, etc.
---
CE's Resident Scotsman.
Recently sigwiped.
#3shino0regicePosted 4/28/2013 10:42:06 AM
i play a mage all the time. im a breton and i use all of the classes of magic. conjuring two dramora lords with the combo of ebony flesh, the stun duel cast destrution, rout, and frenzy illusion spells, ash shell and paralize work well too. and thats mainly just for combat. detect dead and living for scouting and getting the drops on the enemy. i honestly dont see how mages aren't over powered.
---
next time you rob a store make sure the person in there is not a 5 degree black belt.(my x-box live = megadeth9715) pokemon black FC: 1592 6406 7208 Chick
#4silverhunter16Posted 4/28/2013 10:53:15 AM
shino0regice posted...
i play a mage all the time. im a breton and i use all of the classes of magic. conjuring two dramora lords with the combo of ebony flesh, the stun duel cast destrution, rout, and frenzy illusion spells, ash shell and paralize work well too. and thats mainly just for combat. detect dead and living for scouting and getting the drops on the enemy. i honestly dont see how mages aren't over powered.

Argument isn't mage vs warrior/rouge

Argument is destruction vs weapons.

Mages are OPed in the many ways they have of dealing with enemies but in terms of direct combat damage mages fall behind.
---
"Okay, look. We both said a lot of things your going to regret but I think we can put our differences behind use. For science. You monster.
#5Billy-De-KidPosted 4/28/2013 10:59:55 AM
silverhunter16 posted...
shino0regice posted...

Argument isn't mage vs warrior/rouge

Argument is destruction vs weapons.

Mages are OPed in the many ways they have of dealing with enemies but in terms of direct combat damage mages fall behind.

But in terms of making a group of bandits go bat-nuts crazy on each other, warriors and rogues fall behind.
---
"There's no problem you can't solve with a reasonable amount of violence" -Erin Stout
"CHEESE!!! CHEESE FOR EVERYBODY!!!" -Sheograth
#6Orpheus_DemigodPosted 4/28/2013 11:09:46 AM
How I go about playing a pure mage:

- High Elf

- Level Magicka/Health 3:1. No stamina

- Apprentice Stone

- Use wards against enemy mages, flesh spells against melee

- Use all 3 Elements of destruction, fire for undead, shock for mages and ice for melee (switch to fire if they're Nords)

- Have a Destruction Staff handy just in case.

- Grab any Nightshade, Glowing Mushroom, Ectoplasm, Beehive Husk, Glow Dust, Ash Creeper Cluster, Wisp Wrappings you come across for destruction potions.

- Grab Blue Butterfly Wings and Blue Mountain Flowers for levelling Alchemy

- Grab Dwarven Oil, Fire Salts, Garlic, Moon Sugar, Jazbay Grapes, Salmon Roe, Salt Pile and Taproot for potions that boost your Magicka Regen.

- Use above potions before big fights (Dragons, bosses, 4/5+ enemies at once etc).

- Keep number of enemies attacking you as low as possible. Use fear spells for people and turn undead for Draugr/Vampires etc.

- Summon Deadra for most fights for extra firepower/tanking.

- Use Magicka Regen gear (Archmage's Robes are great, as is Morokei but I don't like hiding my face so feel free to enchant your own circlet)

- If you have Dawnguard and don't mind being a Vampire at least for a while, the Ring of Erudite is possibly the best thing a Mage can put on their finger.

- Beware of overusing dualcastimpact. It eats through magicka. For more variety/fun, use Fear/Turn Undead to keep things back.

- Scrolls are awesome, don't just sell them. Use Become Ethereal shout to cast the Master level scrolls if needed.

Sorry if this is too much detail!
#7shino0regicePosted 4/28/2013 11:17:44 AM
i dont see how mages fall behind at all. compared to the other games, magic has gotten crazy dumbed down yeah, but if your spell stuns the enemy long enough for you to charge another and then restun them, then i dont care how much damage there sword does because it doesn't matter.
---
next time you rob a store make sure the person in there is not a 5 degree black belt.(my x-box live = megadeth9715) pokemon black FC: 1592 6406 7208 Chick
#8VasDeferensPosted 4/28/2013 11:28:09 AM
Do Calm or Fury spells scale ( or any spell that has a level cap in their description) ? If you get a spell that says " affects uo to lv. 6 ", will it stay that way permanently or can you raise the level ?
#9shino0regicePosted 4/28/2013 11:28:59 AM
it raises in the disc of the spell. it goes up into the 40"s i think.
---
#10XydruPosted 4/28/2013 11:47:25 AM
Pretty much what Orpheus_Demigod said.
Except i go 5:1 magicka:health.

If you have Hearthfire, get a garden and greenhouse. Those things are amazingly useful for an alchemist.
And be sure to get Sinderion's Serendipity. It helps keep you stocked on potions - same goes for the Green Thumb perk.
---
One bullet-proof sock goes a long way. Stay stocked.