Pure Mage Build

#11XydruPosted 4/28/2013 11:50:24 AM
VasDeferens posted...
Do Calm or Fury spells scale ( or any spell that has a level cap in their description) ? If you get a spell that says " affects uo to lv. 6 ", will it stay that way permanently or can you raise the level ?

You can raise the affect level by taking the Illusion perks, dual casting, or using Fortify Illusion Potions.
---
One bullet-proof sock goes a long way. Stay stocked.
#12LockeadonPosted 4/28/2013 12:23:29 PM
Billy-De-Kid posted...
silverhunter16 posted...
shino0regice posted...
i play a mage all the time. im a breton and i use all of the classes of magic. conjuring two dramora lords with the combo of ebony flesh, the stun duel cast destrution, rout, and frenzy illusion spells, ash shell and paralize work well too. and thats mainly just for combat. detect dead and living for scouting and getting the drops on the enemy. i honestly dont see how mages aren't over powered.

Argument isn't mage vs warrior/rouge

Argument is destruction vs weapons.

Mages are OPed in the many ways they have of dealing with enemies but in terms of direct combat damage mages fall behind.

But in terms of making a group of bandits go bat-nuts crazy on each other, warriors and rogues fall behind.

unless they are nightengale of subterfuge rogues. its only 1/day but seems to work on almost everything.

although imo calm spells/voice of the emperor are more effective than frenzy or fear spells as they allow for sneak attacks and pickpocketing midbattle as well as letting you gain all possible xp (and loot) rather than it all running away (fear) or stealing your kills/exp (frenzy)
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#13LockeadonPosted 4/28/2013 1:13:02 PM
- High Elf,
bretons orcs argonians and redguard are also good picks for mages for various reasons.

- Level Magicka/Health 3:1. No stamina
more like 5:1 no stamina will really hurt though because there isnt a spell to fortify carry weight in skyrim so you wont be able to carry much at all unless you enchant for it or make a bunch of potions
- Apprentice Stone
or mage stone

- Use wards against enemy mages, flesh spells against melee
wards also instantaneously increase physical defence while its up, that can be useful against opponents that use physical attacks, especially archers. also if you aren't good at dodging keep your flesh spells up when in enemy territory you never know when you might be ambushed and having it run out mid battle can be very inconvenient. so cast it beforehand and make sure to top it off every so often when you have time/magicka

- Use all 3 Elements of destruction, fire for undead, shock for mages and ice for melee (switch to fire if they're Nords)
aoe spells vs groups and shock spells shoot out much faster than frost or flame so they come in handy against fast or flying enemies but they have shorter range so don't be surprised if it doesn't quite reach a distant target.

- Have a Destruction Staff handy just in case.
staffs can really come in useful especially early on when you don't have alot of mana. but not only destruction other staves can be useful for healing and the conjuration ones seem to have unlimited range.

- Grab any Nightshade, Glowing Mushroom, Ectoplasm, Beehive Husk, Glow Dust, Ash Creeper Cluster, Wisp Wrappings you come across for destruction potions.
more than just destruction potions are useful from alchemy for a mage, alchemy is perhaps even more useful to a mage than it is to a rogue. there are a number of poisons useful to a mage but you need either poisoner or a weapon to use them

- Grab Blue Butterfly Wings and Blue Mountain Flowers for leveling Alchemy
- Grab Dwarven Oil, Fire Salts, Garlic, Moon Sugar, Jazbay Grapes, Salmon Roe, Salt Pile and Taproot for potions that boost your Magicka Regen.
- Use above potions before big fights (Dragons, bosses, 4/5+ enemies at once etc).
you can also use invisibility potions to disappear and allow your stats to regen or to re-position if you find yourself overpowered, flanked or surrounded

- Keep number of enemies attacking you as low as possible. Use fear spells for people and turn undead for Draugr/Vampires etc.
if you play smart and plan ahead and use the terrain to your advantage this will never happen. unless you do something wrong you should always be able to fight 1-3 at a time. especially since mages can make use of muffle and invisibility and detect life/dead to make sure they get the drop on enemies and also plan a strategy for how exactly to win. and if it looks like it will fail you can use an invisibility potion to retreat and think of a new plan as well, just keep in mind if you retreat too far enemies that are alive will regenerate.
- Summon Daedra for most fights for extra firepower/tanking.
totally unnecessary for most fights and imo atronachs are better anyway. summon the ones the enemies are weak to for max offence or summon the ones that resist their attacks for max defence. also be aware that summons can and usually will agro enemies in a surprisingly large vicinity
- If you have Dawnguard and don't mind being a Vampire at least for a while, the Ring of Erudite is possibly the best thing a Mage can put on their finger.
necromage vampires are the best mages by far, so why not?

- Beware of overusing dualcastimpact. It eats through magicka. For more variety/fun, use Fear/Turn Undead to keep things back.
impact ruins most of the fun and calm>fear/frenzy because it leaves them putty in your hands.
enchant for magicka/magicka regen unless you run into trouble and need better defences.
---
#14LockeadonPosted 4/28/2013 1:29:16 PM
oh and don't forget to actually USE your powers
---
#15Orpheus_DemigodPosted 4/28/2013 1:31:26 PM
In response to Lockeadon:

I'm not suggesting High Elf are the only good mage at all, just that they are what I prefer.

The M/H/S ratio is again, personal preference. I don't pick up much when I play purposefully as I find I get too rich too quickly when I loot up to capacity. So I never find I need more stamina. Plus when I'm a pure mage, I find adept difficulty more fun than expert, master or legendary so I don't need quite so much magicka to take stuff down, hence grabbing a little more health.

When I said summon Deadra, I didn't mean Dremora, I did mean atronachs as you said.

As for preferring Calm spells, the only reason I like fear better is because you can attack them continuously, with Calm you only get one shot before they're hostile again I believe?

A lot of your tips seem to lean towards a mage that utilises stealth to some extent. I tend to not do things stealthily but obviously these are excellent tactics if the TC is happy to be a bit sneaky!
#16xGenocidestPosted 4/28/2013 1:47:19 PM
You can also get a decent follower to help you out.

Essential followers can't be killed by you, so they're nice to have. (But if you hit them directly they'll sometimes leave your service anyway. The Initiate won't leave you no matter what, but they're at the end of the DB quest line)

Or give a follower a lot of elemental resistance, and they won't take damage from you. (Followers can get 100%. A Nord only needs like 50% ice)

Or you could use Atronachs of the corresponding element. (Although the spells are kind of expensive in the middle of a battle, you can craft Staffs of Whatever Atronach at the Atronach forge at the Mages College right from the start.)

Don't forget Flaming Familiar if your using Conjuration. It think it does the same amount as Fireball, but costs half as much Magicka. (Its also got a lot further cast range than other Conjuration spells) You also get the Vokun Mask in this quest that has Conjuration/Illusion/Alteration.
---
Oh, I know I lived this life before. Somehow, I know now Truths I must be sure.
#17LockeadonPosted 4/28/2013 1:57:41 PM
xGenocidest posted...
You can also get a decent follower to help you out.

Essential followers can't be killed by you, so they're nice to have. (But if you hit them directly they'll sometimes leave your service anyway. The Initiate won't leave you no matter what, but they're at the end of the DB quest line)

Or give a follower a lot of elemental resistance, and they won't take damage from you. (Followers can get 100%. A Nord only needs like 50% ice)

Or you could use Atronachs of the corresponding element. (Although the spells are kind of expensive in the middle of a battle, you can craft Staffs of Whatever Atronach at the Atronach forge at the Mages College right from the start.)

Don't forget Flaming Familiar if your using Conjuration. It think it does the same amount as Fireball, but costs half as much Magicka. (Its also got a lot further cast range than other Conjuration spells) You also get the Vokun Mask in this quest that has Conjuration/Illusion/Alteration.

one of the black book rewards from dragonborn will eliminate damage done to followers from aoe attacks (not sure about direct attacks) but sometimes they will still get mad at you or go hostile for whatever reason.
---