So I'm playing Skyrim for the first time. I want to be a pure mage. Tips?

#1Dynasty3Posted 4/29/2013 10:30:30 PM
I'm hearing this is actually rather difficult and complicated, and that's turning me off. I'm currently only level 3. So should I start leveling about the enchanting skill (how? With perks?) and any other tips would be great.
---
Engulf means obliterate
#2Dynasty3(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 10:35:34 PM
Or would it be wiser to do a 1-handed mage, 1-handed melee character?
---
Engulf means obliterate
#3King_of_NowPosted 4/29/2013 10:41:41 PM
The problem with Destruction is that it is the only damaging skill that does not scale with your level. Early on it's really good, but falls off as you start to level.

As for a 1-hand spells and 1-hand melee, I personally had a ton of fun doing this. I also invested heavily into Conjuration. The creatures you can summon later are insanely powerful, even more so with perks added on later.

Either way, it's your call man. Have fun, and whatever you want to do, do it. Skyrim is about what YOU want. Magic would be a difficult way to play through the first time, but I imagine you'll have a ball with a pure mage.

Hopefully this helps.
#4XydruPosted 4/29/2013 10:47:08 PM
Use enchanting if you want to cast more spells, or use alchemy if you want to cast stronger spells. Or do both.
Make use of summons to soak up damage.
Use Illusion for crowd control.
Make use of staffs early on to save on magicka, but don't rely on them or you'll never level the skill.
---
One bullet-proof sock goes a long way. Stay stocked.
#5JumpstyIePosted 4/29/2013 10:48:37 PM
go for a pure mage, sure. it's tons of fun. just don't expect to nuke everything with pure destruction for your whole life. destro gets pretty useless at high levels (around 50 or so it becomes next to worthless), so you have to look into alternate methods of defeating enemies.

you can summon guys to rip people to death, paralyze them an run away, use illusion to make them kill each other or make them friendly, and more. pure mage is super awesome if you're going in with the mindset of a mage and not just a pyro/cryo/electromancer.
---
Mikulekee - even if you are, though, you can just keep the difficulty on Novice.
Bulma is my waifu. http://i.imgur.com/9Ntvzf0.jpg
#6LockeadonPosted 4/30/2013 3:34:20 AM(edited)
most enemies dont scale past 50, and alot of them top off way lower than that (bandits for example top out at around 25). the only enemy i can think of that scales higher is dragons.
i would advise for your first playthough to try it on novice. the way this game does difficulty is stupid. it only increases enemy health and damage, not ai or enemy numbers or more tactically challenging types or anything that would actually make it more challenging. so theres really no point in playing on higher difficulties unless you for some reason want battles to be long and drawn out. and unless you go out of your way to make yourself op novice is just as 'challenging' as legendary, except fights will go alot faster and the combat wont get dull as fast. i actually dozed off numerous times during so called master difficulty fights in this game, and legendary is even more dull and boring.

i guess the point of this is destruction is perfectly viable unless your goal is to be op and one shot everything with enemies barely hurting you at all. in which case you can do that easily on ANY difficulty, just not so much with destruction.

enchantments to fortify magic schools don't increase their effectiveness but rather decrease the cost to cast, to make them more effective you will have to rely on alchemy. which is the main reason magic cant really be made op like every other form of combat. everything has potions to improve it but magic ONLY has potions to improve it beyond the perks in the skills themselves. meanwhile, everything else has literally dozens of ways (especially melee). that along with no magic on horseback or spellmaking is why people complain about destruction being weak. its most obvious for destruction because you have to spam it, but its the same for the other magic skills as well.

edit: it also doesn't help that half (more than half?) of the destruction spells are bugged in some way.
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#7StiikzPosted 4/30/2013 3:35:35 AM
Illusion is so freaking OP it ain't even true bro.

Alteration is way cool for armour and paralysis.

As others guys have said destruction does become a bit weaksauce as you level but you know your are looking at a pure magi not just a destro mage.
---
You will never amount to anything and end up in prison - my father
#8tizimin9Posted 4/30/2013 3:47:41 AM
Lockeadon posted...
most enemies dont scale past 50, and alot of them top off way lower than that (bandits for example top out at around 25). the only enemy i can think of that scales higher is dragons.
i would advise for your first playthough to try it on novice. the way this game does difficulty is stupid. it only increases enemy health and damage, not ai or enemy numbers or more tactically challenging types or anything that would actually make it more challenging. so theres really no point in playing on higher difficulties unless you for some reason want battles to be long and drawn out. and unless you go out of your way to make yourself op novice is just as 'challenging' as legendary, except fights will go alot faster and the combat wont get dull as fast. i actually dozed off numerous times during so called master difficulty fights in this game, and legendary is even more dull and boring.

i guess the point of this is destruction is perfectly viable unless your goal is to be op and one shot everything with enemies barely hurting you at all. in which case you can do that easily on ANY difficulty, just not so much with destruction.

enchantments to fortify magic schools don't increase their effectiveness but rather decrease the cost to cast, to make them more effective you will have to rely on alchemy. which is the main reason magic cant really be made op like every other form of combat. everything has potions to improve it but magic ONLY has potions to improve it beyond the perks in the skills themselves. meanwhile, everything else has literally dozens of ways (especially melee). that along with no magic on horseback or spellmaking is why people complain about destruction being weak. its most obvious for destruction because you have to spam it, but its the same for the other magic skills as well.

edit: it also doesn't help that half (more than half?) of the destruction spells are bugged in some way.

^ Writes indepth, detailed report on why Destruction is not as powerful in the end-game

^TC only wanted a few tips on starting out a mage.

Don't neglect your ALTERATION!

If you want to level sneak and illusion (goes well with vampirism, Khajit, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, High Elves, Argonians,), always remember to use muffle before you sneak.

If you're going sneak-mage, silent casting is a much, which is found in the Illusion tree.

Don't Neglect your ALTERATION! Level that before anything else, always use it before every single fight against melee enemies or archers, which is most of the fights. Unless every single enemy you're fighting is a spellcaster, mage armor spells are pretty much mandatory.

Level Alteration and Enchanting before anything else, start collecting as many soul gems as you can, go exploring, find Dwarven ruins, soul trap every single creature (Falmer) you come across.

If you use muffle before every sneaking sequence, use mage armor before every combat sequence, and soul trap every creature you fight, you'll be leveling three skills with very little effort.
---
PSN: Itzimna
#9FredCat07Posted 4/30/2013 4:11:12 AM
Put in more points on Magicka, with little bit on Health and nothing on Stamina while you're at it.

Do not using Armors, cloth is your best bet to help fighting back in the Mage Walkthrough.

Fire on Undead, Shock on Mage enemies and Frost on other, to making it more fairly fights.

Pick up foods and recipes for potions, so you can recover in the battles as well as level up faster.

Benefit? Smith Dagger then sell them, or even better; smith the dagger (Iron) then enchanted it with strongest magic you had disenchanting, it will get you more money that way.

Enemy on your back? Cloak! Just get Frost Cloak and watch them rolling down the mountain!

If you want a weapon to fighting, just using Conjuration version - though there are no Shield to casting out.

Trouble with foods? Hearthfire installed! You will get free foods and stuffs when you put a side house on the house you purchased (outside City border only) this way.
---
What'the matter? Disliked my grammar?
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5vz0vCbdS1r1g5kzo1_500.gif
#10nytecrawlaPosted 4/30/2013 4:24:55 AM
Bear in mind that there is no spell failure chance in Skyrim, so if you wanted to, you could very easily wear armor. Not advocating for or against it, but just letting you know that it is an option in this game.
---
Well don't that just beat all?