Can you screw up a character like you could in Oblivion?

#1Ice_ShieldPosted 5/4/2013 5:05:05 AM
I remember in Oblivion you had to level specific skills each level in order to get the most out of your level ups, and that if you didn't you could end up with a player that had half the stats that another could. I know that the leveling system in Skyrim is infinitely better than Oblivion since skills have replaced stats and the points can be distributed however you want (assuming you save the points until you can use them). But even so, with only a specific amount of levels and the plethora of skills there are, is it possible to screw up a character?

I made a Redguard because I always think "I should make a mage" and then end up meleeing more than casting. But now that I'm pure melee I'm starting to miss spells. I don't know if I should dump some points into any of the spells or just work on my melee skills until I've maxed them out and then switch to the spells if I have points left over. I just wish we had the ability to reset our points however we please whenever.
---
SNES FAQ Completion Project
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000094-faq-contributors-general/60384415
#2Evil_SandwichPosted 5/4/2013 5:13:20 AM
Nope.

Unless you try REALLY hard to do so (like put all points into stamina, all perks into lockpick/speech/pickpocket and play on Legendary).
#3jammymacsterPosted 5/4/2013 5:17:03 AM
Ice_Shield posted...
But even so, with only a specific amount of levels and the plethora of skills there are, is it possible to screw up a character?

With the ability to "Legendary" skills that came with patch 1.9 you can now level up as much as you want. This means you can potentially get every perk.

And as Sandwich says, it's difficult to mess up your character badly unless you're intending to do so.
---
http://goo.gl/UEC2Y
#4Billy-De-KidPosted 5/4/2013 5:30:19 AM
Become level 231 and Legendary all of your skills at once and then save.
---
"There's no problem you can't solve with a reasonable amount of violence" -Erin Stout
"CHEESE!!! CHEESE FOR EVERYBODY!!!" -Sheograth
#5LockeadonPosted 5/4/2013 5:47:20 AM
Billy-De-Kid posted...

lol ya that would do it
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#6LockeadonPosted 5/4/2013 5:49:40 AM
also the dragonborn expansion lets you resets the perks in a skill for a dragonsoul (rather than resetting the skill to 15 to get them back like making it legendary would so)
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#7Ice_Shield(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 5:50:50 AM
Ah, guess I gotta get Dragonborn :/
---
SNES FAQ Completion Project
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000094-faq-contributors-general/60384415
#8CarbideTitanPosted 5/4/2013 7:46:49 AM
Billy-De-Kid posted...

Did it at level 271. It's not that bad with good equipment. Had to lower difficulty back to expert though. you die alot.
---
Everything's better with thrusters.
#9Ilikemyname420Posted 5/4/2013 8:11:13 AM
Pretty much the only way to screw up is if you somehow don't use offensive skills for a good chunk of the beginnng ie leveling up nothing but pickpocket, sneak, lockpicking and speechcraft for 20 levels or something along those lines...and even then you could probably still get by, just by turning the difficulty down till you leveled an offensive skill up.
#10RikiazPosted 5/4/2013 8:13:13 AM
Why do people over exaggerate Oblivion's leveling system? It's really hard to screw up a character in Oblivion unless you do stupid things.
---
In death lays ecstasy, in undeath lays immortality