DLC items dissapearing after hard saves were deleted

#1jimhalpert789Posted 5/5/2013 10:24:09 AM
I don't play Skyrim but my younger brother does. Yesterday he was complaining that he didn't have room for any more Skyrim saves (we don't have a hard drive, just flash drives) so I told him to delete some of his old hard saves, because I didn't think that he needed them and they took up like 10MB of space each. After he deleted all but the most recent save he said when he loaded up his game it said something along the lines of "Some save files have been deleted, so some parts of your game could be changed or altered." He said that some of his items (armor and weapons I think) from one of the DLC's had disappeared and that he could earn them again because he'd already completed the quests for them. He's been mad at me ever since, so I told him I'd try to figure out what had happened.

I apologize if any of my terminology is off, but like I said I don't really play Skyrim. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing before? Any suggestions/solutions?
---
"I hate so much about the things that you choose to be." Cookies are awarded to users who get the reference.
Cookies awarded so far -- 1
#2UozzorPosted 5/5/2013 10:26:30 AM
Are you sure he didn't accidentally delete one of the DLCs? If he didn't then it's probably an issue with the flash drive, as that shouldn't have happened.
#3AflockOfHippiesPosted 5/5/2013 10:30:23 AM
I have had to delete my dawnguard dlc a couple times back when there was the glitch that you could buy the alchemy lab for your Whiterun house but it never showed up. I would delete dlc, buy item, then once there, redownload the dlc. So, if he accidentally deleted the dlc he should still be able to simply redownload it for free as long as he is using the same profile he originally purchased it on.
---
Momma always said groovy is as groovy does.Or was it video games are the devil? Game long and prosper. Shop smart shop S-mart!
#4jimhalpert789(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 10:32:20 AM
Uozzor posted...
Are you sure he didn't accidentally delete one of the DLCs? If he didn't then it's probably an issue with the flash drive, as that shouldn't have happened.

He says that both of the DLC's we own are still there. The flash drive seems to be functioning fine otherwise....
---
"I hate so much about the things that you choose to be." Cookies are awarded to users who get the reference.
#5jimhalpert789(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 1:10:23 PM
Bump. Any other help?
---
#6BillyMaysThe3rdPosted 5/5/2013 1:19:22 PM
IDK that's weird

try deleting and re-downloading the dlcs like the guy above said
#7StucklnMyPantsPosted 5/5/2013 4:54:28 PM
If you load a saved game without the DLC installed, and then save it, any piece of DLC you had will be gone the next time you load up the game with or without the DLC installed. You guys have the DLC and saves on the same flash drive, or are they on separate flash drives? If you have saves and DLC on different flash drives, it's entirely possible that he loaded a game without the DLC installed and then saved it.
#8jimhalpert789(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 5:14:18 PM
StucklnMyPants posted...
If you load a saved game without the DLC installed, and then save it, any piece of DLC you had will be gone the next time you load up the game with or without the DLC installed. You guys have the DLC and saves on the same flash drive, or are they on separate flash drives? If you have saves and DLC on different flash drives, it's entirely possible that he loaded a game without the DLC installed and then saved it.

That's possible. I asked him if he saved after he loaded it up and he said he didn't, but it may have auto saved, so I suppose he may still be able to load the last hard save and get his stuff back. He's playing need for speed right now, though so I can't check if the DLC is on the same flash drive as the save.
---