Any point to guild side quests?

#1sirspankyjncoPosted 5/8/2013 12:37:11 PM
I have fetched about 10+ books for the mage's guild, i have hunted down shards, I have delivered enchanting items etc etc...

Is there no end? Do they just keep giving them to you over and over? If so what is the point? The scrolls/gold?

Is this the same for all the guilds/factions in Skyrim? I'm just trying to figure it out. I am currently at 110 hours and I am only like 4 missions into the main quest, but I have done TONS AND TONS of miscellaneous quests...

Should I just avoid majority of the misc quests?
---
Ive had both an Xbox 360 and PS3 break, there are no superior consoles, except N64, that was pretty sweet.
#2FMLGPosted 5/8/2013 12:38:41 PM
Some are random. Some are 'real' and lengthy. Not sure what you want...
---
Remember FMLG told ya!
Grand Jester of the Fourth Empire
#3A_Hairy_WafflePosted 5/8/2013 12:40:10 PM
Pretty much all guild side quests are useless fetch quests that only serve as time killers. The exception being the Thieves guild side quests because they actually let you restore the guild.
#4Mistere ManPosted 5/8/2013 12:53:56 PM
In the companions you have to do some side quests to move the main story along, but after the main story only the totem quests matter.

Dark Brotherhood I think you have to do at least one side contract to get the story moving.

Thives Guild you have to do 4 jobs in each city (other than riften) to help rebuild the guild.

Mages college, not really but they give you new followers and so other nice rewards like a special summon.

Bards collage no
---
Water+Fall=Radiation.
#5LockeadonPosted 5/8/2013 1:10:28 PM
A_Hairy_Waffle posted...
Pretty much all guild side quests are useless fetch quests that only serve as time killers. The exception being the Thieves guild side quests because they actually let you restore the guild.

the scrolls from shalidars insights can be fairly useful, as can the other possible rewards
and certain other side quests from the mages guild have useful rewards, especially the master spell ones and the ones for that researcher dude.

and the db side missions are actually well done and tactically intrigueing, although once you do them all it becomes a go talk to random npc to kill other random npc

there are a wide variety of side missions you can do for the thieves guild, and if you enjoy stealing and using your wits rather than your blade they are rather enjoyable.
they all have the same reward of money and that's it other than improving the guilds standing in the city you take it in

and the companions side quests are usually go here kill this or sometimes beat up random npc but you can get some otherwise rare stuff like silver gear and occasionally totems that expand the ww abilities

dawnguards are usually to kill a specific vampire either in a dungeon or pretending to be human, the kill the pretend human ones are more tactically interesting than the others because the guards don't know they are vampires, you can also do missions to unlock better and better crossbows and bolts, most of which involve hunting through dwemer ruins looking for the blueprints. oh and most of them give a random leveled enchanted item when you complete them in addition to the usual cash bounty

the volkihar vampires side missions are somewhat similar to dawnguards but i haven't done nearly as many so i don't have a good understanding of them. but i know you can get similar rewards from them as from the dawnguard ones and some nice jewelry for your vampire.
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider