Question about Sneak

#1OrangePoetPosted 5/8/2013 3:12:55 PM
Ok so there are 2 perks: Stealth and Silence. Stealth decreases your chances of being detected, while Silence allows you not to be detected at all while walking or sprinting.

My question is... do I even need to invest perk points in Stealth if I have Silence?
---
XBL Gamertag: oPUNCHDRUNKo
It's not a matter of luck,It's just a matter of time
#2LordTrinenPosted 5/8/2013 3:16:00 PM
The general consensus that more than one perk point in Stealth is generally useless. The combination of Silence and Muffled Movement is the equivalent of having the Muffle enchantment or spell active.
#3theonyxphoenixPosted 5/8/2013 3:39:52 PM
They way that I understand it is that the enemies have a detection rating which varies from enemy to enemy. If you can overcome their detection then you are hidden. Sound, Movement, etc. all can be reduced but none influence the other. If you have no sound while moving, you can still be detected by line of sight, etc. Now your sneak skill reduces your detection across the board. In this way if you have a glitched stealth enchantment of +100000 but no muffled boots you will still not be detected since sneak is more of a blanketed bonus. Unfortunately the sneak perks don't give you much of a benefit beyond the first perk, for the investment at least.

Long story short: Silence, 1 perk in sneak is usually enough to suffice. If you are really adamant about sneaking you can invest in the perks, but you will probably want to enchant some custom gear as well at that point.
---
He doesn't row.
#4NekoSlavePosted 5/8/2013 4:01:07 PM
For clarification, you have to be in Sneak mode for those. The "running vs. walking" is meant for how fast you're going while crouched. Neither that nor any Muffle ability is effective when you aren't crouched. Casting Muffle doesn't make your regular walking/running sounds silent, only when you Sneak.
---
Also I stood on a rib cage and it killed me, the Dragonborn..killed by a rib cage..sad way to go. -Necro_Fear89