Breton build help

#1StrayTreePosted 5/12/2013 12:44:31 PM
Okay, so here's what my build consists of. I tried to keep it to Level 50: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#293080

Combat with him opens up with an Alteration spell like Oakflesh, and a conjured (ally or two - Atronach, Familiar, etc. - depending on current stage in the game). Next, he will switch to Fast Healing and a sword, then get into the fray. My character needs to constantly be on the move since he's usually vulnerable to attacks while setting up the battlefield, so that's why I chose Light over Heavy Armor. It may seem like Conjuration is a minor skill, but that's because I plan on using Enchanting to reduce Conjuration spell costs down to nearly nothing, if not nothing at all.

Archery is obviously for the long-range engagements. Yes, yes I know. "Why pick Archery over Destruction?" Well, for one, I need the Magicka for healing/"flesh" spells. Second, the Fire and Storm Atronachs have their own Destruction magic, so I'm killing two birds with one stone here. No, this character does not use Sneak. Anything associated with the Thief outside of Light Armor is either neglected or a utility (Lockpicking).

=Gear: Up to Dragonscale Armor, Dragonbone Sword, and Dragonbone Bow and Arrows. For Dawnguard Roleplay, Dawnguard Light Armor (without the ugly helmet), and an Enhanced Steel Crossbow
=Standing Stone: Mage/Warrior/Lover Stone (when found) for leveling up, then the Lord Stone for magic resistance.
=Primary Shouts: Unrelenting Force, Durnehviir, Call Of Valor

Not sure if this sort of build classifies as Nightblade or Battlemage (could be a bit of both), but anyway...

If there's anything you'd like to comments, questions, or suggestions you'd like to make, please do so. I'd like as much constructive feedback as possible. I'm already having fun with this character at Level 22, so I'd like to make him the best he can be.

P.S. I'm new here, so hello everyone.
#2HoonDingPosted 5/12/2013 12:54:48 PM
You don't need the Bladesman perks. The critical damage is negligible, not worth any perks. I'd put those perks instead into Archery, for a rank of Steady Hand and some other things. Ranger and Quick Shot are both awesome Archery perks, but they do require a bit more of an investment in prerequisite perks.

Restoration also has a lot of perks you're neglecting. Unless you plan on reducing Restoration cost via enchanting, or you plan on using Fast Healing till the end of time, the Adept/Expert Restoration perks are somewhat important. Respite is awesome, too, and Wards are underrated (awesome anti-dragon tools, and with Ward Absorb they'll help you out with magicka a lot). Usually I'd recommend Necromage even for non-vampires, since it means all spells are more effective against undead, but, well, you won't be using Destruction or many damaging spells anyway. The Sun Fire spells from Dawnguard are worth checking out, though, especially if you don't intend to use Destruction.

You're budgeting perks, which is smart, but this is just food for thought.
---
"Waiter, there's a hair in my anus!"
"I'm terribly sorry sir, we'll get you another one right away."
#3StrayTree(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2013 1:06:57 PM
HoonDing posted...
You don't need the Bladesman perks. The critical damage is negligible, not worth any perks. I'd put those perks instead into Archery, for a rank of Steady Hand and some other things. Ranger and Quick Shot are both awesome Archery perks, but they do require a bit more of an investment in prerequisite perks.

Restoration also has a lot of perks you're neglecting. Unless you plan on reducing Restoration cost via enchanting, or you plan on using Fast Healing till the end of time, the Adept/Expert Restoration perks are somewhat important. Respite is awesome, too, and Wards are underrated (awesome anti-dragon tools, and with Ward Absorb they'll help you out with magicka a lot). Usually I'd recommend Necromage even for non-vampires, since it means all spells are more effective against undead, but, well, you won't be using Destruction or many damaging spells anyway. The Sun Fire spells from Dawnguard are worth checking out, though, especially if you don't intend to use Destruction.

How's the critical damage negligible? If it really isn't worth using, then I'll put the points elsewhere Then again, once I have all I need after using the Enchanting and Smithing, I can transfer the points after turning both of them Legendary into what you've suggested.

Unfortunately, though, I've already put a point into Bladesman (Ah well, can't hurt to have a little extra damage, right?), but I'll definitely put these suggestions into consideration. Thanks!
#4HoonDingPosted 5/12/2013 1:09:26 PM
I'd recommend using Dragonborn to reset perks for Enchanting and Smithing, just because it's a pain to level them from 15 to 100 again next time you feel like making a new Dragonbone Sword of Burninating.

As for Bladesman, the critical damage goes off of the base damage, not the improved damage from smithing, so when it happens, it only adds a few extra points of damage. Nothing noticeable.
---
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11413047/Photos/Crash%20Bandicoot%20100.jpg
#5XydruPosted 5/12/2013 1:19:10 PM
StrayTree posted...
HoonDing posted...

How's the critical damage negligible? If it really isn't worth using, then I'll put the points elsewhere Then again, once I have all I need after using the Enchanting and Smithing, I can transfer the points after turning both of them Legendary into what you've suggested.

Unfortunately, though, I've already put a point into Bladesman (Ah well, can't hurt to have a little extra damage, right?), but I'll definitely put these suggestions into consideration. Thanks!

Critical damage goes off of base damage, which is never enough to warrant a perk.
3 perks for up to 8 damage, sometimes? No.
---
Sunny D - Not even bacon can make it better.
#6Pennywise380Posted 5/12/2013 4:34:50 PM
Don't take all 5 Agile Defender perks in Light Armour. With Enchanting and Smithing your armour is going to end up ridiculously strong anyway, on top of your Flesh spells.

Consider Steady Hand, Powershot and Quickshot in Archery. They're useful for combat archery (rather than stealth archery, where they're somewhat pointless). You could use the three points you won't be putting into Bladesman (or two of the points, rather).
---
''Snake from Metal Gear 2 owns everybody. Because he used an owl. To make a guard think it was night time. In the middle of the day. That's just hardcore''