How should vampirism and lycanthropy be done in the next game?

#41CarbideTitanPosted 5/13/2013 7:46:50 AM
Chunhwa posted...
CarbideTitan posted...
Vampires in skyrim become more powerful by NOT feeding? That's just dumb.

Vampires attack me whether i'm one of them or not. No questions, just attack.

Also I can't make a real thrall.....

That's all very lore-friendly, though. It doesn't conform to real-world modern interpretations of vampires, but it all fits perfectly within elder scrolls lore.

IIRC the logic behind vampires becoming stronger by not feeding is that when a vampire foregoes feeding, they degenerate into feral undead beasts, consumed with hunting for blood, so their bodies essentially go into overdrive for the sake of finding food. Remember the grey prince quest in Oblivion?

When they consume blood, it brings them closer to humanity, allowing them to walk among the mortals without fear of the sun.

As for other vampires attacking you, why wouldn't they? You're not a part of the same clan, you're just competition.

As for thralls, that's simply a gameplay decision. You did make one thrall though, Dexion.

"Blood may not be needed to stay "alive", but doing without it can cause a vampire to become extremely weak and rabid"
---
Your powers of observation continue to serve you well.
#42ChunhwaPosted 5/13/2013 8:01:07 AM(edited)
CarbideTitan posted...
Chunhwa posted...
CarbideTitan posted...
Vampires in skyrim become more powerful by NOT feeding? That's just dumb.

Vampires attack me whether i'm one of them or not. No questions, just attack.

Also I can't make a real thrall.....

That's all very lore-friendly, though. It doesn't conform to real-world modern interpretations of vampires, but it all fits perfectly within elder scrolls lore.

IIRC the logic behind vampires becoming stronger by not feeding is that when a vampire foregoes feeding, they degenerate into feral undead beasts, consumed with hunting for blood, so their bodies essentially go into overdrive for the sake of finding food. Remember the grey prince quest in Oblivion?

When they consume blood, it brings them closer to humanity, allowing them to walk among the mortals without fear of the sun.

As for other vampires attacking you, why wouldn't they? You're not a part of the same clan, you're just competition.

As for thralls, that's simply a gameplay decision. You did make one thrall though, Dexion.

"Blood may not be needed to stay "alive", but doing without it can cause a vampire to become extremely weak and rabid"

That's an inference from the book "Vampires of the Iliac Bay". We're not in High Rock, and the regional strains of vampirism have been proven to be vastly different.
---
Captain Cabinets, trapped in cabinets. Can he get out? Will he get out? Course he will.
#43BillyMaysThe3rdPosted 5/13/2013 7:56:24 AM
Necro_Fear89 posted...
BillyMaysThe3rd posted...
you should be able to use all the powers that vampire lord can use without having to turn into one

Then there would be no point in turning into one if you could use all the powers with a base vampire. Having unique powers tied to the form itself gives it worth, outside of that it would be rendered useless if you could have access to it's spells without having to turn into one.

that's true. i just wish that the base vampire had more variety like vampire lord

maybe give base vampire the same powers but they're weaker when you're not a vampire lord? not to mention that you get stat boosts in vampire lord mode
#44DarthSchubertPosted 5/13/2013 9:38:51 AM
jrr18 posted...
DarthSchubert posted...
I'll take a VERY unpopular decision and say... I hope they do not play a factor in the next game. Whoa whoa whoa, put down the pitch forks and hear me out.

I started with Morrowind. Each game since then has placed a higher emphasis on these two 'factions', and it just feels forced to me. Like they were thrown in and because a vocal group of players liked them (and because supernatural stuff is real popular these days) Bethesda keeps spending more time on them. I'd rather they devoted that time to other areas of interest, rather than rehashing more of the same.

what do you mean every game since then oblivion had no werewolf’s and vampires had one quest which was to get a cure.

Correct on werewolves, I disagree on vampires. In Oblivion there wasn't like a vampire faction or anything like that, but vampires were much more present. You had one of the cities leaders as a vampire, even. In Morrowind they were more of an easter egg than anything else.

Regardless - I probably should have phrased that differently. I feel the series as a whole has been embracing them more and more, and I just don't like it. I think it's catering towards this current craze for supernatural tropes.

And yes, I get how dumb I'm being saying a business shouldn't cate to something because lots of customers want to do it :-) It's just my preference for the series as a whole to de-emphasize them.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#45CarbideTitanPosted 5/13/2013 9:50:44 AM
Elder Scrolls VI:Plants vs Zombies.
---
Your powers of observation continue to serve you well.