One thing that made me upset in Dawnguard(Obvious Spoilers)

#1Necro_Fear89Posted 5/15/2013 8:01:58 AM
Is how Harkon's gift is able to destroy Lycanthropy if one is a werewolf, vampirism is a disease, and lycanthropes are immune to disease and don't give me this "It's because Harkon's gift is of pure vampirism"!!

NO.

There is no reason for him to offer his gift a mangy mutt with a disease he considers weak and disgusting, everything he, Serana and Valerica went through to obtain this power should not be offered to someone who is a werewolf who vampires have a deep hatred for to begin with. I was playing through Dawnguard earlier and I was a werewolf, it bothered me that the option to even be cured of it to become a vampire lord was even present, Harkon should have kicked me out the moment he smelled lycanthropy on me like he mentioned.

Thoughts?
---
The Maiden in Black's blessing- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vByX90Ezn0s
"Go forth Garl Vinland! May you be unharmed.."- Saint Astraea
#2Pennywise380Posted 5/15/2013 8:06:59 AM
You're probably right, but from a gameplay perspective I can see why they did it. It would lock out the Vampire side of the Dawnguard quest for anyone who hadn't yet finished the Companions.

Plus, we have to work off the assumption that most players don't know in advance when the offer to become a Vampire Lord will be made, or that Vampires dislike Werewolves to begin with. A lot of people would lose the opportunity to use Dawnguard's single most complex new game mechanic. It's not Harkon would make the offer again if the player went out of their way to cure their Lycanthropy, it's a one-time-only thing.
---
''Snake from Metal Gear 2 owns everybody. Because he used an owl. To make a guard think it was night time. In the middle of the day. That's just hardcore''
#3FredCat07Posted 5/15/2013 8:10:15 AM
Not anymore, Penny - Aela can reward you the werewolf form for second time if you got cured from that.
---
What'the matter? Disliked my grammar?
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5vz0vCbdS1r1g5kzo1_500.gif
#4thor23Posted 5/15/2013 8:24:05 AM(edited)
Necro_Fear89 posted...
Is how Harkon's gift is able to destroy Lycanthropy if one is a werewolf, vampirism is a disease, and lycanthropes are immune to disease and don't give me this "It's because Harkon's gift is of pure vampirism"!!

It's not a disease, it's magic. He got his power directly from a god. If you arrive at Castle Volkihar as a basic vampire he will even have some dialogue about how you contracted a disease and you aren't a pure vampire like him.
#5Necro_Fear89(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2013 8:17:05 AM
Pennywise380 posted...
You're probably right, but from a gameplay perspective I can see why they did it. It would lock out the Vampire side of the Dawnguard quest for anyone who hadn't yet finished the Companions.

Plus, we have to work off the assumption that most players don't know in advance when the offer to become a Vampire Lord will be made, or that Vampires dislike Werewolves to begin with. A lot of people would lose the opportunity to use Dawnguard's single most complex new game mechanic. It's not Harkon would make the offer again if the player went out of their way to cure their Lycanthropy, it's a one-time-only thing.

Actually, if you cured yourself of vampirism or became a werewolf again Harkon merely mentions how shameful it is you have done this and offers the gift again. There is making sure one doesn't miss out on a feature and then there is outright pandering to players.
---
#6Necro_Fear89(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2013 8:22:55 AM
thor23 posted...
Necro_Fear89 posted...

It's not a disease, it's magic. He got his power directly from a god. If you arrive at Castle Volkihar as a basic vampire he will even have some dialogue about how *that* is a disease and you aren't a pure vampire like him.

That's if you are a base vampire when meeting him, no excuse why it "magically" cures lycanthropy like it's no big deal. Lycanthropy is also a gift from Hircine, a Daedric Prince, and is also rumored to be a strong enough affliction to cure Corprus Disease.
---
#7NicodaemosPosted 5/15/2013 8:23:05 AM
this power should not be offered to someone who is a werewolf who vampires have a deep hatred for to begin with.

Do they?
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#8thor23Posted 5/15/2013 8:24:13 AM
One more thing, "vampirism" isn't a disease, Sanguinare Vampiris is a disease that leads to vampirism. And Harkon never gives you Sanguinare Vampiris, he instantly turns you into a vampire.
#9Necro_Fear89(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2013 8:29:57 AM
Nicodaemos posted...
this power should not be offered to someone who is a werewolf who vampires have a deep hatred for to begin with.

Do they?

Yes. I believe there is actually a loading screen which says this, as well as Harkon's dialogue of being disgusted by the disease.
---
#101Denton28Posted 5/15/2013 8:53:12 AM
Readies Runic Axe and Sunfire spells....

Eh, they're all monsters who prey on the innocent.
Wipe 'em all out :)

Still wish I could join the silverhands. I don't buy companion propaganda that they're bad people who don't like werewolves.