Is a mage build viable without destruction?

#1amenbrotherPosted 5/16/2013 8:19:51 AM
Can this work on say expert difficulty level? With no destruction where would be my main damage come from, summons? Is there any other damaging spells that arent destruction, maybe poison rune is restoration right?
#2sunbro1Posted 5/16/2013 8:21:31 AM
Force push is alteration right?
---
Ours is the fury
#3amenbrother(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 8:22:14 AM
sunbro1 posted...

What is that, does it do decent damage?
#4sunbro1Posted 5/16/2013 8:25:44 AM
amenbrother posted...
sunbro1 posted...

What is that, does it do decent damage?

Sorry my mistake :/ had midas magic mod so long forgot what spells are from what. dawnguard spells can be used on undead and are restoration.
---
Ours is the fury
#5Spooky-MittensPosted 5/16/2013 8:26:04 AM
Conjuration and Illusion are quite powerful on their own. Illusion doesn't do damage, but it can cause enemies to attack and kill each other, or to just leave you alone entirely.
#6Talon5967Posted 5/16/2013 8:30:47 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7TaigaWilliamPosted 5/16/2013 8:39:10 AM
Fully perked illusion and fully unperked sneak alone can get your through most of the game. >_>

Illusion and Conjuration are plenty of offense, but Dragons would be slow going. Though, if you made a point of getting 2-3 words of Marked for Death and some elemental protection, you could stay out of bite range, tank/ward breath attacks, and hit dragons with MfD until they are follower training dummies. `-`
---
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m994301r511qeogr5o1_250.gif
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m994301r511qeogr5o4_250.gif
#8SoulOfFaythPosted 5/16/2013 8:40:30 AM
Definitely, Illusion and Conjuration are the best magic schools anyway.
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#9Talon5967Posted 5/16/2013 8:44:28 AM
Poison rune would work. But it doesn't affect undead, summoned or raised creatures, dwarven machines, or daedra. The only other Restoration spells that do damage is Bane of the Undead, and the Dawnguard spells, all of which only affect undead.

Aside from that, you'd have to depend on summoning, or using Illusion's Frenzy spells to make enemies kill each other.

Unless you count Alchemy, which you can create poisons, and reverse pickpocket them into enemy's pockets. The poison triggers as soon as it's in their inventory.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary, and those that don't.
GT:Talon Omega. If you send an FR please tell me where you got my GT.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary, and those that don't.
GT:Talon Omega. If you send an FR please tell me where you got my GT.
#10amenbrother(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 8:47:32 AM(edited)
Thanks for all the comments guys this is exactly what I was hoping to hear! I will go with illusion and conjuration as my main schools and do some other stuff instead of destruction. Should I go light armor, enchanting, and smithing to help off set no destruction? Oh also what shout would be best for damage dealing, maybe fire breath?