I really want to get into this game

#1JoofyPosted 6/20/2013 6:48:51 PM
I loved Oblivion, and Fallout 3 is up there with Bioshock as my all time favourite game. I even played Skyrim early at Eurogamer and it was amazing. But ever since I got the game I just couldn't get into it, for some reason small things kept breaking my immersion. Examples like stiff animations, strange AI behavior, small things like when a dragon attacked a village, a kids mom would die and then Id kill the dragon and life is normal, not even a reaction etc.

I know its a great game,and I havent played it for ages, but now its summer and I have some free time again and I feel like giving it another chance. My question is how do you guys get over these things (do they affect you) or any advice to get into it. I bought the game and I will finish it one day, but I want to enjoy the process a lot more. Maybe I hyped myself up too much
---
where did you learn how to spin, no-face?
#2platinumkiwiPosted 6/20/2013 6:56:32 PM
I've come to expect those sort of things from all of Bethesda's games. When I was playing, a dragon fell out of the sky and instantly died. Then another time there were two NPCs talking trash about each other while they were sitting next to each other on the same bench. I'm forgiving though, because little things like that are pretty amusing to me.

I would say, try not to get "immersed" into the game, just play it like your playing a video game. I'm not sure if you got "immersed" into games like Oblivion and Fallout, but if so, I don't know how you could seeing as those games are equally as glitchy and unintentionally hilarious as Skyrim.
---
"SMURFS DON'T LAY EGGS! PAPA SMURF HAS A F****** BEARD! THEY'RE MAMMALS!"
http://platinumplatypus.deviantart.com/
#3JohnRyan1228Posted 6/20/2013 7:00:05 PM
Oblivion was a worse offender in all those things, except the dragons obviously
---
Please, i need your help! www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563239-et-the-extra-terrestrial/66011625
#4Joofy(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2013 7:02:57 PM
I think with Skyrim it was the fact that everything looked so good, whereas Fallout 3 and Oblivion were less polished graphically, kinda balanced the whole thing out
---
where did you learn how to spin, no-face?
#5JohnRyan1228Posted 6/20/2013 7:14:20 PM
Joofy posted...
I think with Skyrim it was the fact that everything looked so good, whereas Fallout 3 and Oblivion were less polished graphically, kinda balanced the whole thing out

I guess, but there are simple things like crafting, hunting, wood cutting etc. That I think makes this the easiest game of the three to get immersed in. But hey different strokes for different folks. We cant all like the same things.
---
Please, i need your help! www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563239-et-the-extra-terrestrial/66011625
#6TheDLGPosted 6/20/2013 7:24:19 PM
This is why most of the fun I have in this game is just wandering around, not really worrying about money, just honing my skills and exploring dungeons, seeing what's going on in the wilderness. All cities bring is menu grinding. I'm tired of looking at menus...

The most fun I have in this game is going to an area I haven't really explored and just dungeon crawl, get in trouble (running for life is fun!!!).
#7ToadwarttPosted 6/20/2013 8:16:06 PM
I've been playing games since pong so I don't let petty issues like that example bother me. Only thing that gets me is a broken game.
---
We are ATLAS!
Both consoles: 69 Mordecai, 69 Lilith & 69 Roland
#8The_Milk_Man13Posted 6/20/2013 10:07:14 PM
I know the feeling. I was one of the few people around who started viewing Skyrim as bland, and kind of disappointing. I had beaten all the main quests, discovered all the locations, unlocked all the achievements. But at the end of the day, Skyrim was just a bundle of fetch quests and contract killings.

Wandering aimlessly was fun for a while, but even that got stale. Plus I couldn't see any replay value in the game. After spending so much time on one character, and having your opinion set on the game being repetition incarnate, you just don't have the drive to make a new character... Then Dawnguard came out and ho boy! Life was restored to my game! Only lasted a few weeks, though.

A while ago there was a topic that described Skyrim as being "Wide as the ocean but deep as a puddle" It's marvelous to look at, and you excitedly drive right in. But sooner or later you''re going to reach the other side, look back, and realize it wasn't as great as it seemed. This was said fairly early on, so most of the people playing Skyrim (Myself included at the time) were still suckling on it's teet.

Plus the characters are ugly as all hell, I mean dear god, what were Bethesda thinking when they made those abominations?! And the fact that every kid in Skyrim looks like they can only count to Potato... Ugh. If it weren't for the Khajiit I never would have gotten past the Character Creation screen.

Anyway, many people will still disagree with me, and good for them, but if you couldn't get into it the first time you played, then unless you're a good roleplayer you probably won't get much enjoyment out of it now. At least, that's my humble opinion.
---
It's as though I know every combo in the video game but they keep pressing the A button!
http://tiny.cc/utu2vw bit.ly/mQDTtB