Best build for a beginner?

#1RitalinfiendPosted 7/3/2013 3:11:08 PM
I was thinking of starting off with a stealth build but I'm pretty sure this game has dragons and I doubt I'd be able to stealth kill dragons. I want to be prepared for any combat situation this game has. Also I don't want a build that relies on specific items that I'd only find if I followed a walkthrough. I will be doing my first playthrough without consulting a walkthrough. Any tips for race/build? Thanks!
---
Candy: Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
#2LooksForSkoomaPosted 7/3/2013 3:13:16 PM
Orc with sword and shield would be the easiest given their racial ability. Just sneak attacks with the bow as long as you can then pull out your sword and shield when they detect you.
---
It amazes me that people can figure out how to make a GameFAQs account and post topics but not utilize google. *no faith in humanity*
#3theonyxphoenixPosted 7/3/2013 3:15:07 PM
1H
Archery
Restoration
Light or Heavy Armor
---
He doesn't row.
#4Ritalinfiend(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 3:18:24 PM
theonyxphoenix posted...
1H
Archery
Restoration
Light or Heavy Armor

Race?
---
#5Ritalinfiend(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 3:23:46 PM
Actually I think I want to play as a sneaky assassin archer type. Any tips for race/build there?
---
#6LordTrinenPosted 7/3/2013 3:27:50 PM
Ritalinfiend posted...
Actually I think I want to play as a sneaky assassin archer type. Any tips for race/build there?

Argonian, Khajiit and Bosmer have good starting stats for this build.

My personal favorite is Argonian. they may not have a starting boost in archery but their other skills and racial abilities are very useful.
#7MaDHatPosted 7/3/2013 3:33:46 PM
http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group/character-building

Scroll down to where it says "Build Ranks" and browse through there. There are a ton of builds that you can look through and see what you think you will enjoy the most.
#8Evil_SandwichPosted 7/3/2013 4:29:01 PM(edited)
Best Build for a beginner is a stealth archer.

Pick Breton as your race since they are the only race that can achieve passive 85% resistance without using any enchantment slots and saving a extra perk (Bretons only need 2/3 Magic Resistace to hit the cap with the Lord Stone + Agent of Mara, other races need 3/3 just to hit 70% Magic Resistace...)

Bretons can also temporarily achieve 100% Spell Absorption by stacking the Atronach Stone with their Racial power (this can be done even with a lvl 1 Breton)

Best beginner race by far.

EDIT: Example of Breton Stealth Archer Build (link below)

http://skyrimcalculator.com/#307571
#9Lord_Shadow_19Posted 7/3/2013 4:10:57 PM
1h weapon:
more options than 2h weapon, wearing a shield in your other hand will increase defense, wearing a weapon in your other hand will improve damage beyond 2h damage though dual wield doesn't let you block.
The only perks you really need to get are 5/5 armsman, fighting stance (helps a lot early on), dual flurry and dual savagery if you plan to dual wield at some point (dual wielding is very rewarding), critical charge is nice, but not a must have.

heavy armor:
makes the beginning easier since you'll be taking less damage before your character gets so beefed up that it doesn't matter what you're wearing.
Perks you'll want include Juggernaut (since you're a beginner, I recommend 3/5 minimum, you can hit the armor cap with less, but the early game is where you'll have the most trouble, and you don't have a limited amount of perks so there's no worry about wastes so to speak), well fitted. the path up to conditioning requires you to spend 2 perk points in perks that are basically worthless, but it conditioning itself is really good if you'd rather use standing stones that help you level faster or something else. If you don't want to go for conditioning, just go for the steed stone, does the same thing and gives you an additional 100 carry capacity.

Smithing:
Smithing is ludicrously overpowered, you'll eventually end up so overpowered. If you go for heavy armor, follow the smithing path to the right all the way to daedric or dragon (your choice), improving your weapons through smithing is crazy op when combined with the armor/weapon skill/perks and enchants. In fact, any character you make that uses any kind of weapon or armor should invest in smithing period.

Archery:
While a heavy armor/1h playstyle typically will have you running up to whatever enemy and smashing their face in till they die, archery is not only extremely powerful itself (though it takes some time for it to really get going), you'll find it almost necessary for dealing with dragons or the occasional snipe on a distant enemy. With the playstyle I have in mind, you probably won't be doing too much archery, but you should probably drop a few perk points into overdraw as you level it up, perhaps eagle eye, 2/2 steady hand, and quick shot as well if you find yourself really liking it.

Enchanting:
5/5 Enchanter, Insightful Enchanter, Corpus Enchanter, Extra Effect, no matter what character you make, always get these perks, they're universally useful for any kind of character. On a more specific note, Enchanting allows you to further enhance your smithing, alchemy, weapon, and armor skills through permanent gear enchantments.

Alchemy:
5/5 Alchemist, physician, benefactor, just like with Enchanting, these are talents are universally useful for any character. Physician kind of sucks, but it's required to get to benefactor which is a very good talent and worth having to spend an extra perk to get to. Making better health/stamina/magic potions are nice and all, but the real treasure here are the smithing and enchanting potions that you can make which can then be used to even further overpower your character.
---
Playing UMvC3, Far Cry 3, Black Ops 2. PSN: Entropy19
#10SoulOfFaythPosted 7/3/2013 4:18:39 PM
Race doesn't really matter although I'd pick Nord or Breton for their resistances. Or Argonian for Histskin. Sword and shield combined with light or heavy armor is always a good starting build imo. If you also take the dual wielding perks you will be capable of doing massive amounts of damage when you need to (like quickly taking down a dragon when it's finally landed), and heavy armor with a shield gives you the best defense you can get. I mostly prefer light armor myself, but if you wanna stay on the safer side you can go heavy.
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open