Why is this game still number 1?

#41simonbelmont2Posted 7/15/2013 1:00:37 PM
Skyrim is one of those games that players often come back to after they have completed other games. I always find myself going back it at some stage, it helps that I still have a bunch of quests I haven't completed in the game too.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#42JohnRyan1228Posted 7/15/2013 1:18:57 PM
MC2011 posted...
JohnRyan1228 posted...
oh wow, what was he saying that got him banned

What LolOkay said right after him.

Ah... that seems a tad excessive. Must've done something else
---
Please, i need your help! www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563239-et-the-extra-terrestrial/66011625
#43yediPosted 7/15/2013 1:55:37 PM
I can summarize why it's number 1 in one word.

Sheep.

That simple.

"But the game is deep!"

No it's not.

"It's diverse!"

No, not really.

"It has infinite stuff to do!"

Not even close.

It's a mediocre game with pretty environments that has just enough depth to keep the lowest common denominators entertained. It's polished(mostly) but pushes absolutely no boundaries as far as gameplay or interaction and is therefore nigh universally "accepted". It has the potential to be great, to do things no other game has done, but it lacks the gusto to actually tempt fate and risk offending people with deep mechanics or engaging combat, instead falling back on gameplay that expects nothing more of the player than holding the movements stick forward while mashing the triggers, and sometimes hitting X to open doors or talk to NPCs to get to the next exciting chapter of holding forward and mashing the triggers.

It's popular for the exact same reason Call of Duty and Halo sells millions every year. It's a big name game and it gets pushed like crack cocaine by magazines and websites who were paid a lot of money to like it. It doesn't actually do anything overly impressive, it's just really pretty to look at and doesn't do anything inherently wrong.

Take away its environment visuals and the always awesome work by Jeremy Soule on the OST and you'd have a generic viking hack and slash that, had it been released under any other name, it would've been thrown to the dogs for its stagnant gameplay.
---
XBL: rune yedi WII:7327 0713 1219 5379 PS3: yedi
yedi.deviantart.com
#44shorthandlePosted 7/15/2013 2:15:46 PM
How long did anyone play Dishonored or Bioshock:Infinite, or Halo4/BF/COD or Dragon's Dogma before picking this game back up?

I started playing Skyrim on release day. The only other game I've finished since then is Borderlands 2. I've started on Brink, Dishonored, Tomb Raider, and the last Metro. Didn't get more than a few hours into any of them. I've got Bioshock Infinite and the last Juarez game but haven't been motivated to install them yet. Skyrim really raised the bar for games, even with all its infernal bugs.
#45campersniperPosted 7/16/2013 2:41:03 AM
because elder scrolls online hasn't been released yet.
---
@ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @
If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat.
#46davden90925Posted 7/16/2013 3:07:05 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#47AnimeKid1089Posted 7/20/2013 1:22:15 PM
yedi posted...
I can summarize why it's number 1 in one word.

Sheep.

That simple.

"But the game is deep!"

No it's not.

"It's diverse!"

No, not really.

"It has infinite stuff to do!"

Not even close.

It's a mediocre game with pretty environments that has just enough depth to keep the lowest common denominators entertained. It's polished(mostly) but pushes absolutely no boundaries as far as gameplay or interaction and is therefore nigh universally "accepted". It has the potential to be great, to do things no other game has done, but it lacks the gusto to actually tempt fate and risk offending people with deep mechanics or engaging combat, instead falling back on gameplay that expects nothing more of the player than holding the movements stick forward while mashing the triggers, and sometimes hitting X to open doors or talk to NPCs to get to the next exciting chapter of holding forward and mashing the triggers.

It's popular for the exact same reason Call of Duty and Halo sells millions every year. It's a big name game and it gets pushed like crack cocaine by magazines and websites who were paid a lot of money to like it. It doesn't actually do anything overly impressive, it's just really pretty to look at and doesn't do anything inherently wrong.

Take away its environment visuals and the always awesome work by Jeremy Soule on the OST and you'd have a generic viking hack and slash that, had it been released under any other name, it would've been thrown to the dogs for its stagnant gameplay.

Very true, except that the Call of Duty series never made drastic changes to help make it more playable or enjoyable every sequel, like in the Elder Scrolls. Another reason for Skyrim being so popular and well-liked is because it does not deliever fustration like most games, you are not restrained to play certain ways to be effective, and... well, there simply is plenty to do on it.
---
I am not a kid, nor a huge fan of anime, so don't ask.
#48kentuckybobPosted 7/20/2013 3:13:23 PM
Im still playing Oblivion, rolled a new hunter two days ago.
---
"You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?"