New to game, need help creating a build

#1ShadowHunterHQPosted 8/17/2013 6:47:51 AM
I am new to the elder scroll series and this is my first time playing Skyrim. I did a little research and know that there is a a limit to how many perks you can use and I don't want to waste them.

My character is a Breton who will be mostly using spells for long range attack and two swords for close range encounters. Not sure about armor. Any advice would be helpful, thanks
---
You know its been a good party if there's an open container of butter lying around
Gamer Tag: Penguin Justice
#2riceboyee12Posted 8/17/2013 7:16:00 AM
I've played a Breton mage before And I don't really think that 2 swords are necessary. I carried 1 dagger and never used it. Get bound weapons if you can and get summon flame atronach asap
---
Official Shadow of the Shadow Triad
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/b/b6/Shadow_Triad_B2W2_Trailer.png
#3PootbirdPosted 8/17/2013 7:16:24 AM
This claim is false, you have unlimited perks when you "prestige" a skill.
---
The official POOTIS of the Elder Scrolls RP.
"Windows are a structural weakness, Geth do not use them"- Legion
#4IamI3rianPosted 8/17/2013 7:18:04 AM
There is no longer a limit. If you have the dragonborn DLC (or legendary edition) you can respec your skills too, eventually. Don't worry about builds. Play. Have fun. Improve what you like and works well for you.

You really can't screw up your character if you've ever played a video game before. Even Mario Bros. = )
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya
Wish I could play Skyrim again for the first time. -AflockOfHippies
#5IamI3rianPosted 8/17/2013 7:18:54 AM
Ninja'd. Sorta.
---
#6riceboyee12Posted 8/17/2013 7:22:01 AM
Pootbird posted...
This claim is false, you have unlimited perks when you "prestige" a skill.

COD players...
---
Official Shadow of the Shadow Triad
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/b/b6/Shadow_Triad_B2W2_Trailer.png
#7jammymacsterPosted 8/17/2013 7:26:37 AM
Just play however you want, don't play someone elses build. Don't be afraid to try your own. It's one of the fun things with Skyrim. And don't worry about screwing yourself over, you pretty much have to intentionally try to make things difficult on yourself to do that.
---
http://goo.gl/UEC2Y
#8Evil_SandwichPosted 8/17/2013 7:47:43 AM
Standing Stone: Lord Stone
http://images.wikia.com/elderscrolls/images/5/5e/Lordstone.png

Skills:

One-handed
Heavy/Light Armor (pick one)
Destruction
Smithing
Enchanting
Alteration (for the magic resistance perks)

Random tips:

- Put ALL level ups into health
- Magicka is worthless (with 100 Enchanting you can enchant spells to cost 0 magicka.)
- Stamina is worthless (You can cook Vegetable Soup, ingredients = Cabbage + Leek + Potato + Tomato that gives unlimited power attacks for 12 mins)
- Breton resistance + Lord Stone + Agent of Mara + Magic Resistance (2/3) = 85% passive magic resistance without using enchantment slots
- You can sprint forever by double tapping the sprint button with a touch equipped (make sure you weapon is sheathed)
- You can cook Elsweyr Fondue (ingrendients = Ale + Moon Sugar + Eidar Cheese Wheel) that gives +100 Magicka and 25% regen for 12 mins
#9IamI3rianPosted 8/17/2013 6:13:16 PM
GJ ES, now he'll play for five minutes and get bored.
---
#10NyxsinPosted 8/17/2013 7:54:46 PM
Evil_Sandwich posted...
Standing Stone: Lord Stone
http://images.wikia.com/elderscrolls/images/5/5e/Lordstone.png

Skills:

One-handed
Heavy/Light Armor (pick one)
Destruction
Smithing
Enchanting
Alteration (for the magic resistance perks)

Random tips:

- Put ALL level ups into health
- Magicka is worthless (with 100 Enchanting you can enchant spells to cost 0 magicka.)
- Stamina is worthless (You can cook Vegetable Soup, ingredients = Cabbage + Leek + Potato + Tomato that gives unlimited power attacks for 12 mins)
- Breton resistance + Lord Stone + Agent of Mara + Magic Resistance (2/3) = 85% passive magic resistance without using enchantment slots
- You can sprint forever by double tapping the sprint button with a touch equipped (make sure you weapon is sheathed)
- You can cook Elsweyr Fondue (ingrendients = Ale + Moon Sugar + Eidar Cheese Wheel) that gives +100 Magicka and 25% regen for 12 mins

This is fine for YOU, but it really does make the game boring... same with Resto looping, and the Alchemy > Enchanting > Smithing abuse. Pick 6-7 skills youd like to focus your perks into, grinding all skills to 81 for max perks gets kind of boring and tedious. If you find you don't like your current build, or get bored of it, complete Dragonborn and you can get all invested perks back, to basically build a new character. My suggestion would be to NOT put everything into HP, you'll barely be able to carry anything, and the enchanting armor so you use no Mana, is again, pretty boring. Build your character how YOU want, if youd like to use ranged magick attacks, then switch to dual wield swords, by all means do it up.
---
Main Pawn: Raven Lv. 200 Ranger - Challenger/Mitigator/Utilitarian
Alt Pawn: Ayia Lv. 200 Mage - Utilitarian/Medicant/Challenger