Help with fun and balanced mage build

#1Belgarion05Posted 8/20/2013 4:58:41 PM
So I'm looking to make a mage character (again). I'm trying to make it in such a way that keeps the game somewhat challenging while also allowing for character progressions. I was hoping I could get some thoughts/opinions.

Already decided on:
Dunmer
Vampire Lord
Destruction magic focus

I want a character that is more...dynamic/combative rather than support-oriented. Therefore, I'm thinking that I'll avoid leveling up conjuration and illusion. Conjuration leads to dremoras/wrathmen killing everything, and illusion gives a really easy way out with invisibility and calm.

Skills to level -
Destruction- duh.
Restoration - wards and healing. Should make me more vulnerable than using alchemy
Alteration - Paralyze, possibly armor spells, utility spells
Enchanting - Necessary, need to figure out how to avoid being OP
Vampire Lord perks.

Given that my only means of damage is going to be destruction, I need to figure out how to incorporate enchanting/cost reduction and maintaining balance.

Some ways to limit being OP (stun lock + 0 cost) I've considered -
- Perk into destruction cost reduction. Makes a perk sink, frees up other enchantments
- Don't perk into Impact.
- Incorporate staffs
- Find a good % of cost reduction under 100%

No armor for this build - unless perhaps it is mage oriented gear like the masks.

Looking forward to your ideas. Thanks.
---
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
#2theonyxphoenixPosted 8/20/2013 5:10:09 PM
If you are focusing on Destruction, Restoration, and Alteration I would probably suggest going with a magicka regen build instead of a cost reduction one. Of course as a vampire you can get 100% cost reduction in all three schools if you desired.

Sticking with Destruction as your main source of damage will keep you in a good position to not become too overpowered. Just remember that not much translates into Vampire Lord form except a generous magicka pool which would also support a good magicka regen build.
---
He doesn't row.
#3Belgarion05(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 5:21:39 PM
Thanks

Yea, I wasn't looking for something necessary to complement VL. VL is more along the lines of a "I can't kill these damn things...vampire pwn time."
---
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
#4NepharenPosted 8/20/2013 6:16:12 PM
If you do decide to use spell cost reduction through enchanting, a rule I've been following is to only have one active spell cost reduction enchant at a time. The percentage can be as high as I can get it legitimately then I focus the rest of my enchants on boosting my stats or stat regeneration (an important one if you are a vampire), or even elemental and magic defenses.

Another thought, since you don't have an unlimited supply of magicka using the impact perk shouldn't make you op as it will force you to either use the weaker destruction spells to keep staggering your foes or risk burning through your magicka using the more powerful spells. Fighting multiple enemies at once turns this into a juggling act and whatever bonus impact gives becomes somewhat less important

If your reason for using restoration instead of alchemy is to make the game more challenging then use alchemy instead but restrict your healing potions to fortify health/health regeneration. This makes it so you can't instantly pull yourself out of danger, at least not by much.