Technically couldn't Bethesda make destruction better if...

#21Darg727Posted 10/28/2013 7:42:25 PM
Perma-n00b posted...
Spinder1 posted...
Destruction is bad on higher levels. Or rather, it's not actually weak -- because Impact and Ignite are extremely powerful -- but it's poorly constructed because you shouldn't have to rely on endless stagger and a single spell to do well. It works fine for a while but the problem is that eventually, the enemy stat scaling starts to overtake the cost-damage ratio of the spells. When you're forced to keep using the Apprentice level spell because the Expert spells are stupidly overpriced there's clearly something wrong with the balancing. It doesn't give the sense of progression that it should.

The Expert spells need to be made cheaper, simple as that, they are way too expensive. One shouldn't have to be reliant on heavy cost-reducing gear to get by. The Master spells further ruin the sense of progression because they are so few and weak. Attaining these elite spells only available to the most powerful users of Destruction magic should be a great power-up and accomplishment and feel awesome. Instead you realize after a few attacks how ineffective they are and have to go back to Firebolt spam, unless you grind enchanted cost-reducing items, which should never be a necessity just to make a skill function well. It's a passable skill up until Adept but then it falls apart.

Dude nice! This is the most logical and well thought out opinion on destruction I have ever seen on this board. A refreshing changing from the "huuuuuuuur destruction is either awful or there's nothing wrong with it cuz u can't say bad bout game duuuuuuuur," opinions usually present on this board. Couldn't have said it better myself.

The game is obviously more balanced than people realize. Destruction spells start out with higher damage, range, and have a very fast attack speed. To balance that out they made things cost magicka. So as other forms of damage equalize efficiency goes up for spells. So to be totally fair as you invest in perks and gear (which can be found or bought) the cost of your spells should be reasonable to nonexistent with potions.

Potions are a staple = use them. Without potions the life of anyone would get really tough. So if you complain about them I'm sorry but the game is balanced around their use.
#22FreeMan5407Posted 10/28/2013 9:29:17 PM(edited)
oh i forgot both archery and melee can do more magical damage than any other spells

-the destruction master spells are kinda garbage
-the fastest way to level up destruction is using a melee weapon

yes destruction is balanced *sarcasm* -_-
#23niko-mp3Posted 10/28/2013 10:16:48 PM
FreeMan5407 posted...
* melee and archery can perform badass killcams, destro don't

One of my favorite killcams of all time came from ice spear night fishing. Cam followed the spear half way (from quite a distance away) then switched to an underwater reverse shot of an unsuspecting slaughterfish with camera low enough to still see stars of the lakeside aurora through the surface. And then bam after piercing switched back to me and you could see and an angry ice spike serpentining above the surface. One more shot to finish but I loved it.
#24FreeMan5407Posted 10/28/2013 11:21:30 PM
niko-mp3 posted...
FreeMan5407 posted...
* melee and archery can perform badass killcams, destro don't

One of my favorite killcams of all time came from ice spear night fishing. Cam followed the spear half way (from quite a distance away) then switched to an underwater reverse shot of an unsuspecting slaughterfish with camera low enough to still see stars of the lakeside aurora through the surface. And then bam after piercing switched back to me and you could see and an angry ice spike serpentining above the surface. One more shot to finish but I loved it.

that sound COOL xD- yes it can be awesome, but is nothing compare to melee, archery and unarmed- decapitation, exploding bolt to the forehead or eye, skullcrushing, stabbing, slicing, suplex, bodyslam, chokehold and chokeslam FTW
#25KC_CheeseKingPosted 10/29/2013 1:22:21 AM
DEV1ANTGAMER posted...
Ye olde wall of text

I love me some no-crafting runs. Set the difficulty on medium and go to town.
---
"I'm the conductor of the poop train!"
#26Darg727Posted 10/29/2013 6:56:05 AM
FreeMan5407 posted...
oh i forgot both archery and melee can do more magical damage than any other spells

woo 150 damage. Incenerate does 143 with an item and 3 perks; then you dualcast and make it 317. Then you add a fortify destro: 792. Then you use a fortify resto potion and use your fortify alchemy gear.

I'm glad destruction levels slowly enough for me to acquire gear and potions as it can outpace melee and archery quite quickly.

You should really use firestorm with necromage on undead, it is seriously broken.
#27LostoutPosted 10/29/2013 10:10:15 AM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet magic is fine even on Master/legendary. Fully perked incinerate dual casted with the DB mask hits for like 250 considering it staggers them, you can fire them faster than a bow and move around at full speed while doing it you shouldn't have much trouble.

If you want to go crazy you can pretty easily make fortify destruction potions for over 300% for a minute but this is really not necessary.
---
I am as awesome as a bear high fiving a shark in space during an explosion.
#28FreeMan5407Posted 10/29/2013 10:29:36 AM
Darg727 posted...
FreeMan5407 posted...

woo 150 damage. Incenerate does 143 with an item and 3 perks; then you dualcast and make it 317. Then you add a fortify destro: 792. Then you use a fortify resto potion and use your fortify alchemy gear.

I'm glad destruction levels slowly enough for me to acquire gear and potions as it can outpace melee and archery quite quickly.

You should really use firestorm with necromage on undead, it is seriously broken.

Chaos say hi, besides melee and archery have ton of damage booster including racials, powers, blessing, power attack, potions etc..

Did you know that for applying poisons require melee and archery?, did you know that the ugly mask and fortify destructio affect weapon enchantment, did you know fortify marksman and one handed potion stack? Did you know about elemental fury and dual wielding?

Im sorry but melee and archery damage and dps is far superior than destruction, also im not talking about damage , see my other reasons which are facts.
#29Spinder1Posted 10/29/2013 10:46:02 AM
Fully perked incinerate dual casted with the DB mask hits for like 250

Yeah. It does good damage. It does it two or three times before its absurdly high cost has sapped all your magicka. It's barely passable on Adept. No way in hell that it's functional on Legendary without requiring heavy crafting or at worst all cost reduction items. Which is the problem: a skill should not require such conditions just to have a functional progression.
---
Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat. Let him be the king of ashes
#30FreeMan5407Posted 10/29/2013 11:46:24 AM
2 more reasons why destruction is not balanced

Melee and archery scale destruction don't
Destruction on legendary have problem with killcams, it leave the enemy alive and your character is a sitting duck for a moment

While this reason can be nitpicking, why melee require 1 stamina to perform a power attack which deal more dam than dual casting and yet dual casting require x2.8 of your magicka for that spell

I give 20+ real reason why destruction is not balanced and yet some players ignore it