Why are vampires by default evil.

#1VampyreFoxPosted 10/28/2013 4:31:35 PM
Yuh know, the topics titled "RP reason why a good guy would be a vamp?"

Oh, I don't know, be a bit creative and bend the rules of the norm because YOLO
---
The official vampire eccentric of the Skyrim boards.
#2Gaming_EsquirePosted 10/28/2013 4:37:31 PM
Because of the whole biting/killing/zombifying thing.

That's why they're default evil.
---
Dragon Ninja Dinosaur Wizard
#3VampyreFox(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 4:42:40 PM
Serana would like to testify.
---
#4NicodaemosPosted 10/28/2013 4:48:15 PM
Evil isn't necessarily the right word (unless you're talking about NPCs), they just exist in a manner that is detrimental to non-vampires.

And don't try to tell me Serana doesn't have to feed.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#5Sniping_TurtlePosted 10/28/2013 5:01:50 PM
Wasn't it about joining the Volkihar vampire clan though? Last time I checked, the majority of them were pretty ****ing evil.

Vampires on their own aren't necessarily evil. It's their actions afterwards which decide their alignment.
---
http://i.imgur.com/sRS1ncX.gif
#6Crash3WarpedPosted 10/28/2013 5:08:35 PM
VampyreFox posted...

Serana and her mommy are literally the only 2 "good" Vampires in the whole game.

Vampires are considered "evil" by default cuz 99% of them actually are...
---
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw595rK4FP1qclj94o1_500.jpg
#7VampyreFox(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 5:10:05 PM
I know, I know... It just irks me that people would need justification.

Like in my amazing poll sometime ago:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/66704598
---
#8VampyreFox(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 5:11:30 PM
Crash3Warped posted...
VampyreFox posted...

Serana and her mommy are literally the only 2 "good" Vampires in the whole game.

Vampires are considered "evil" by default cuz 99% of them actually are...

... But but, what about Ronthil?!
---
#9LordTrinenPosted 10/28/2013 5:17:27 PM
Paarthurnax claims that the desire to dominate is part of a dragon's very nature. Perhaps it is the same with vampires. Becoming a vampire gives a person the compulsion to feed, maim and be generally nasty. That may be why vampires are generally considered evil.

Though like Paarthurnax a vampire could overcome their evil nature. Serana may be one of them. She is reluctant to give up her powers after everything she went through to get them but at the same time she doesn't seem to embrace them as much as other vampires. I'm sure she still does feed. We just don't know how and under what circumstances.

She may simply drink those Blood Potions we find in Castle Volkihar (though we don't know how exactly they are made). She may feed on the thralls in the castle basement or she may go out from time to time to hunt. Though in the latter case I really don't see Serana viciously attacking/killing someone. Very likely she'll find a sleeping individual and quietly feed on them without anyone aware.

I suppose you could roleplay a "good" character becoming a vampire is so they can become a "necessary evil". By becoming lord of Castle Volkihar the Dragonborn can keep a tight grip on the most powerful vampires in Skyrim and keep them from running amok. For those familiar with the Mass Effect games a comparable example would be Aria T'Loak, the self-proclaimed Queen of Omega. She may be a ruthless leader but her organization keeps other merc and criminal groups in check. While you may not always like her she is effective at keeping the lawless areas of space relatively peaceful. Without her, open war between the different merc groups could become a much more common danger.

Right now that's the best reason I can come up with for a "good" vampire. Take it for what it's worth.
#10VampyreFox(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 5:28:34 PM
LordTrinen posted...
Paarthurnax claims that the desire to dominate is part of a dragon's very nature. Perhaps it is the same with vampires. Becoming a vampire gives a person the compulsion to feed, maim and be generally nasty. That may be why vampires are generally considered evil.

Though like Paarthurnax a vampire could overcome their evil nature. Serana may be one of them. She is reluctant to give up her powers after everything she went through to get them but at the same time she doesn't seem to embrace them as much as other vampires. I'm sure she still does feed. We just don't know how and under what circumstances.

She may simply drink those Blood Potions we find in Castle Volkihar (though we don't know how exactly they are made). She may feed on the thralls in the castle basement or she may go out from time to time to hunt. Though in the latter case I really don't see Serana viciously attacking/killing someone. Very likely she'll find a sleeping individual and quietly feed on them without anyone aware.

I suppose you could roleplay a "good" character becoming a vampire is so they can become a "necessary evil". By becoming lord of Castle Volkihar the Dragonborn can keep a tight grip on the most powerful vampires in Skyrim and keep them from running amok. For those familiar with the Mass Effect games a comparable example would be Aria T'Loak, the self-proclaimed Queen of Omega. She may be a ruthless leader but her organization keeps other merc and criminal groups in check. While you may not always like her she is effective at keeping the lawless areas of space relatively peaceful. Without her, open war between the different merc groups could become a much more common danger.

Right now that's the best reason I can come up with for a "good" vampire. Take it for what it's worth.

Good post, but I'm not in need of explanation ;(
---