Why are vampires by default evil.

#11Foxx_youPosted 10/28/2013 5:32:05 PM
Your mother was bite before giving birth to you and died. Making you a vampire that is good that hates other vampires
#12LordTrinenPosted 10/28/2013 5:32:31 PM
VampyreFox posted...
Good post, but I'm not in need of explanation ;(

Just sharing my thoughts. Read or ignore.
#13VampyreFox(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 5:34:42 PM
LordTrinen posted...
VampyreFox posted...
Good post, but I'm not in need of explanation ;(

Just sharing my thoughts. Read or ignore.

Why would anybody ignore the post? It was AHH-MAZING
---
The official vampire eccentric of the Skyrim boards.
#14NicodaemosPosted 10/28/2013 6:24:45 PM
LordTrinen posted...
By becoming lord of Castle Volkihar the Dragonborn can keep a tight grip on the most powerful vampires in Skyrim and keep them from running amok.

While I agree with all the other points expressed in your post, this sequence of logic does not work. I've seen it brought up before by people who want to rp a "good" character while joining the Volkihar, but it simply does not work. A "good" character has no business taking Harkon's offer.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#15LordTrinenPosted 10/28/2013 6:49:23 PM
Nicodaemos posted...
LordTrinen posted...
By becoming lord of Castle Volkihar the Dragonborn can keep a tight grip on the most powerful vampires in Skyrim and keep them from running amok.

While I agree with all the other points expressed in your post, this sequence of logic does not work. I've seen it brought up before by people who want to rp a "good" character while joining the Volkihar, but it simply does not work. A "good" character has no business taking Harkon's offer.

I agree it is a stretch. That's just the best explanation I could come up with at the time.

By any chance, are you familiar with the TV series Angel? It is a spin-off series to Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer. There is one part of the series I think somewhat parallels this situation.

Angel's primary recurring nemesis in this series is a law firm called Wolfram & Hart. It is founded and run by the Senior Partners the Wolf, Ram and Hart, a trio of very old and powerful demons, and their clientele consists primarily of other demons and the worst of humanity. Angel and co. clash with them often.

At the conclusion of the sixth season Angel dispatches a common enemy between him and Wolfram & Hart. The Senior Partners then decide to "reward" Angel and co. with control of their Los Angeles branch. Their first impulse is to refuse of course but in the end they all accept with the ultimate goal of either turning the firm and its resources into an instrument of good or destroying it from within.

That's more or less the mindset I have with joining Castle Volkihar. The Dragonborn may no longer be part of the Dawnguard in the official sense but they are still working towards the same goal of ending the vampire threat to Skyrim. He may do some evil deeds to earn the respect and loyalty of the court but ultimately he aims to do good by keeping the vampires in line.

Again, it's a stretch but it's something to think about.

You know, I've been on a break but I've been pondering my next Skyrim playthrough. All this talk is making my desire to play bubble up a bit more. I may be starting a new playthrough sooner than anticipated.
#16RampagingwalrusPosted 10/28/2013 8:21:45 PM
LordTrinen posted...
I agree it is a stretch. That's just the best explanation I could come up with at the time.

By any chance, are you familiar with the TV series Angel? It is a spin-off series to Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer. There is one part of the series I think somewhat parallels this situation.

Angel's primary recurring nemesis in this series is a law firm called Wolfram & Hart. It is founded and run by the Senior Partners the Wolf, Ram and Hart, a trio of very old and powerful demons, and their clientele consists primarily of other demons and the worst of humanity. Angel and co. clash with them often.

At the conclusion of the sixth season Angel dispatches a common enemy between him and Wolfram & Hart. The Senior Partners then decide to "reward" Angel and co. with control of their Los Angeles branch. Their first impulse is to refuse of course but in the end they all accept with the ultimate goal of either turning the firm and its resources into an instrument of good or destroying it from within.

That's more or less the mindset I have with joining Castle Volkihar. The Dragonborn may no longer be part of the Dawnguard in the official sense but they are still working towards the same goal of ending the vampire threat to Skyrim. He may do some evil deeds to earn the respect and loyalty of the court but ultimately he aims to do good by keeping the vampires in line.

Again, it's a stretch but it's something to think about.

You know, I've been on a break but I've been pondering my next Skyrim playthrough. All this talk is making my desire to play bubble up a bit more. I may be starting a new playthrough sooner than anticipated.

Does not exactly line up the same. Especially since joining the Volikihar involves a whole lot of butchering the "innocent" who are attempting to actually remove a threat, and not babysit it.

Also, joining the Volikihar does nothing to keep the vampires in line, or remove the threat. They still go out kidnapping civilians to keep themselves fed. They still continue to infect people in places of power, to remove opposition. They still kill anybody who would dare try to reveal them or stop them.

There is no way to justify a good and moral person joining the vampires. One cannot stop monsters, by becoming one of them.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
#17konokonohamaruPosted 10/28/2013 8:33:08 PM
TC you probably also think that Vampire skin sparkles like diamonds in the sunlight
#18DrJawlessPosted 10/28/2013 9:35:04 PM
Become a vampire and feed off bandits, animals and various neer-do-wells (or however it is written).
Or perhaps finding an adoring fan who is happy to lend you their neck every 3 days.

An eternity to devote to the betterment of skyrim while slowly thinning out the bad guys by draining their blood can be a good thing.

Also, is drinking someone's blood a bad thing if you only take a bit? It's just like being an oversized mosquito.
---
I'd imagine some quack telling you that you have "multiple personalities" and "psychotic tendencies" would be pretty annoying. - Fishystick
#19VampyreFox(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 9:40:19 PM
konokonohamaru posted...
TC you probably also think that Vampire skin sparkles like diamonds in the sunlight

Duhhhh.
---
The official vampire eccentric of the Skyrim boards.
#20chughes724Posted 10/28/2013 10:28:01 PM
I always have this problem. I really want to join the Volkihar and live in the castle and do all that fun stuff, but I only play good guys most of the time. That's why I am racking my brain trying to either find a reason for my good guy to join the vamps, or for him to turn evil and join them. Examples:

1. Becomes Vamp for immortality so he can protect Skyrim for all eternity and keep it safe.

2. Accidentally contracts Vampirisim and later joins Harkon cus he's already a Vamp and its logical.

3. Takes up Ebony Blade to defeat Alduin, ends up corrupting him and driving him mad, joins Vamps for power. Basically Arthas from Warcraft.

4. Wife killed by bandits, swears revenge on the world and the gods for not protecting her, despite everything he has done as Dragonborn to keep the world safe. Basically Dracula/Mathias from Castlevania.

That's all I've got so far.