Just took a trip back to Oblivion tonight.

#1LamboNemoPosted 10/28/2013 5:56:45 PM
I always talk about how I think Oblivion is better than this game, but I haven't played Oblivion in a few years, perhaps my nostalgia was blinding me?

Here's just some quick things I noticed.

1) Random NPC conversations - While patrolling the Imperial City, Citizens would make comments on the other provinces, rumors around the area, and even talking about local shops and their inventory. In my 100+ hours of Skyrim I have NEVER heard NPC's talk to each other, outside of scripted encounters. It really breathed life into the world.

2) The Imperial City is huge. Even Solitude would fit snug in the Imperial City with room to spare. Cities in Skyrim just feel so small. Whiterun is supposed to be the trading hub of Skyrim, but there's only a few houses and a keep on top of a hill, and a VERY cramped market square. The 7,000 steps is talked about like it's this huge challenge, but in reality it's barely more than a few hundred steps, hardly a challenge.

3) COLORS!!! Holy crap I missed these. Cyrodil is a much more beautiful piece of nature to look at then Skyrim. Skyrim is a pretty game with it's mountains and all, but the "Modern Game Color Palette" gets really old, consisting of Brown, Dark Brown, Dark Green, Grey, and Black. Cyrodil has lush green forest that just feel amazing.

4) Mystery. Once again, I get a feeling of wonder and mystery I never got with Skyrim. I want to just take off and explore my surroundings, wondering what that far off ruin is in the background. I never felt that with Skyrim. Ever.

As with anything, this is my opinion on things, and if you hate Oblivion or Love Oblivion, it doesn''t matter to me.
#2NemesisOgreKingPosted 10/28/2013 6:10:21 PM
LamboNemo posted...
I always talk about how I think

Stopped reading there, and someday I may tell you why.
---
[Your mind fails to grasp the true form of this sig]
#3VampyreFoxPosted 10/28/2013 6:13:52 PM
"I'm just here to buy food Nazeem.."
---
The official vampire eccentric of the Skyrim boards.
#4huerito323Posted 10/28/2013 6:19:24 PM
Reading this made the gummy bear in my mouth taste like crap.

Oblivion is awful and a disgrace to The Elder Scrolls series. I pretend it never existed, thanks for the reminder TC.

*throws up.
#5Sniping_TurtlePosted 10/28/2013 6:44:50 PM
Part of me fears for Fallout 4 after playing Skyrim....

Then again, New Vegas showed me how **** Fallout 3 was. Skyrim just makes me fear for it more now.
---
http://i.imgur.com/zHLma5j.jpg
You're next...
#6TeXaS_PiEPosted 10/28/2013 7:52:56 PM
I bought the GoTY just recently. Missed the game a hell of a lot. Being able to keep a weapon in your and and cast spells was a sweet little feature, too.
---
For every to there is a fro, and that's what makes the world go round. :3
GT-- JoEMaN604
#7darkportal785Posted 10/28/2013 8:15:03 PM
VampyreFox posted...
"I'm just here to buy food Nazeem.."

Lol this is why I stopped reading. The minute TC said no NPC interactions I thought of Nazeem.
---
GT: Kneel bfore Zod - Main Pawn: Luna
#8LamboNemo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 5:23:09 AM
TeXaS_PiE posted...
I bought the GoTY just recently. Missed the game a hell of a lot. Being able to keep a weapon in your and and cast spells was a sweet little feature, too.

It's little things like that.

It's such a pain in the ass to pull my weapon out and switch over to healing just so I can restore my health quicker.
#9SoulCagePosted 11/4/2013 3:04:15 PM
the "modern game color palette" is definitely pretty bad in skyrim, I want some COLOR in my games :/ there are some nice areas like around the rift and falkreath but most of the places where you spend the most time are terribly dull
#10White_Fang_Posted 11/4/2013 3:15:55 PM
I fully agree TC, I hope they have the next TES take place in Cyrodiil. It is my favourite country!

And using Nazeem as an example of Oblivion-Tier ambient banter is just silly. You hear the same freaking things hundreds of times in Skyrim! Oblivion's dialogue is randomized, if memory serves me correctly. Also, there are quite a few quests you can get just by walking down the road!
---
Xbox, on! Xbox, open tray! (walks over too xbox anyway to put a game disc in)
The Kinect is only good for these 2 things, and they are both useless.........