Love Fallout 3 and NV; will I like this?

#1BgSoAPosted 12/25/2013 2:03:06 PM
Got this as a Christmas gift from a friend who claims its the "greatest game yet from Bethesda" which has me skeptical. I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before, but I've heard that this game is basically Fallout with swords and axes and such.

One thing I disliked about Fallout is how melee combat was so boring; you only had like three swing options, which was lame. Is this game gonna offer me a wider range of sword combat? I really hope so since that's one of your only combat options...
#2darkdawneePosted 12/25/2013 2:18:29 PM
you will like this.
---
i like frogs
#3RainbowstarRSPosted 12/25/2013 2:38:01 PM
You will love this game. It has the same nonlinear very open world experience. Really, the world is HUGE.
---
"No! Not into the pit! It BURNS!"
#4Spinder1Posted 12/25/2013 3:19:32 PM
There's more to melee combat than it is in NV (let's not even talk about 3) in terms of moves and techniques you can use, definitely, but it's still fairly shallow. It's actually nowhere near NV on the stat side of things, like different weapons having significantly different strengths and weaknesses and being better against different enemies -- there's nearly none of that. The upside is that fights are generally more melee-based and enemies take longer to kill, so you'll be doing more actual combat. Though that might end up being a downside if you dislike the combat.

If you liked FO3 for its open-world wandering, Skyrim has more of it in spades.
---
Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat. Let him be the king of ashes
#5JimmyFraskaPosted 12/25/2013 3:20:35 PM
Yes, it is by far Bethesda's best looking open world, and it has great melee combat.
#6FredCat07Posted 12/25/2013 4:19:41 PM
TES don't have "Combat Option" in same way as FallOut does - the only little "annoyish" is "Kill Cam", it's very common as of Legendary Edition released, or regular game with Patch 1.9.
---
American Sign Language is my primary language - deal with it!
"ESL" is standing for "English Sign Language", period.
#7Link_2666Posted 12/27/2013 4:42:34 AM
FredCat07 posted...
TES don't have "Combat Option" in same way as FallOut does - the only little "annoyish" is "Kill Cam", it's very common as of Legendary Edition released, or regular game with Patch 1.9.

Really? I loved the kill cam. They only did it for the last kill for any multiple-enemy attack so it didn't interrupt combat and some of those animations were oh-so-satisfying ways to destroy a strong enemy :P
---
PSN: ShadowShockX. XBL: Ace0fSpades52
Currently playing: Mass Effect (PS3), Fallout 3 (PS3)
#8robirminghamPosted 12/27/2013 7:16:56 AM
I loved F3 and NV. This was my first Elder Scrolls game.

From the previews, I was really hyped for this game, but still had a sliver of doubt. I enjoyed the guns in Fallout. But after 500+ hours in Skyrim, I can definitively say I like it more than Fallout.

It's like A+++ vs A++
---
www.flydrs.com Video game reviews, previews, and info.
https://www.facebook.com/theflydrs
#9MagicLarpPosted 12/27/2013 7:59:31 AM
BgSoA posted...
One thing I disliked about Fallout is how melee combat was so boring; you only had like three swing options, which was lame. Is this game gonna offer me a wider range of sword combat? I really hope so since that's one of your only combat options...

Troll spotted.
---
Never use the "R" word on the Skyrim board.
#10DarkHolesPosted 12/27/2013 11:33:35 AM
MagicLarp posted...
BgSoA posted...

Troll spotted.

Lol you have called yourself out for being a troll. You know your a bad troll when you need to do that to get a reaction.