Destruction power

#1LordTrinenPosted 2/12/2014 5:40:25 PM
If you had the chance to increase the base strength of Destruction magic how high would you increase it? - Results (96 votes)
1x - Keep it the same
17.71% (17 votes)
2x
34.38% (33 votes)
3x
27.08% (26 votes)
4x
5.21% (5 votes)
5x
5.21% (5 votes)
6x
1.04% (1 votes)
7x
1.04% (1 votes)
8x
0% (0 votes)
9x
0% (0 votes)
10x - Godly
8.33% (8 votes)
This poll is now closed.
This question has probably been done to death like many others but I'm curious what current opinions are.

Many complain that Destruction magic is underpowered. If you had a chance to permanently multiply the strength of all your Destruction spells by how much would you do it? Double it? Triple it? Go even higher? How strong do you wish your Destruction mages were?
#2BSmokin724Posted 2/12/2014 5:43:25 PM
I'd say if they give it a little boost.

It's ok how it is but it makes certain things harder then it should be.

If they gave it a slight boost then it would be funner and better for higher difficulties and just all around fun.
---
Gt- ATx420 Sentinel it's a rocket launcher from 007 world
Is not enough n64
#3CattabriaPosted 2/12/2014 5:50:12 PM
LordTrinen posted...
This question has probably been done to death like many others but I'm curious what current opinions are.

Many complain that Destruction magic is underpowered. If you had a chance to permanently multiply the strength of all your Destruction spells by how much would you do it? Double it? Triple it? Go even higher? How strong do you wish your Destruction mages were?

I cannot go above a 1 keep it the same because in Skyrim, magic was not meant to be done by itself it just doesn't stand up to the power damage out put, it is so broken it's laughable.

Skyrim dropped the ball when it came to destruction magic in this game, a sneaky archer out does a dual casting destruction Mage by 6 times in damage wise, it's pitiful a dual casting destruction Mage cannot hold its own against mobs without a use of Conjuration pets or melee/bow weapons.
#4HatchetHoundPosted 2/12/2014 6:05:24 PM(edited)
By 100% once it's at 100.

That's what I've done to my latest character. player.setav destructionpowermod 100

Haven't played her much, but it should be just fine.
---
"Mistakes are just a part of learning. You donít become an Expert At Bandit Extermination without accidentally offing a few farmers, for instance."
#5charon78auPosted 2/12/2014 6:13:07 PM
- An equipment enchantment to fortify the damage.
- Increase the base damage of some of the spells.
- Allow for sneak attacks with spells if the quiet casting perk is taken.
- Change casting to be instantaneous when the trigger is pulled, and allow for charged spells by holding the trigger. Similar to melee power attacks. These would be about 50% stronger when cast.
- Improve the efficiency of dual casting to be 3x damage for 2.8x magicka cost. Make dual cast spells better than the single cast.
---
(Im)mature Aussie gamer. Don't pay the ferry man. Don't even fix a price.
GT: Charon78
#6RawePosted 2/12/2014 6:36:05 PM
I voted 3x. While other magics can compliment defense for being a pure mage, destruction needs a huge boost. I watched a video of someone showing how weak it is on legendary.
---
PS3 - Wii - 360 - PSP - PC Gamer
Intel i5-2500k - Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Rev - EVGA GTX 570 - 8GB G.SKILL RipJaws X DDR3 1600MHZ
#7DEV1ANTGAMERPosted 2/12/2014 6:57:17 PM
3 times, because thats what melee gets. Once for the weapon damage, once for the first enchantment, and once for the second enchantment.

Pure concentrated destruction magic should have 3 times the strength of a regular enchantment to be "balanced".
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzafqZqFf0
#8CattabriaPosted 2/12/2014 7:00:08 PM
I copied a post from a pure Mage player and I give Huge Grats he made it work.

Perma-n00b posted...
My favorite playthrough in all my hours in Skyrim was my pure mage. Even on master the guy was a beast! Any run one on legendary? Let's hear some stories by gum!

I Cattabria posted

A huge grats and this isn't in sarcasm, I actually mean huge grats, reason why is in Oblivion, magic worked and was fun and awesome but for Skyrim the least class to play is Pure Mage where you rely on zero weapons just spells, because the magic system in this game is a joke and doesn't stand up against thief and warrior class, the damaging destruction spells is not powerful. BUT. Let me ask you few things please.

1) was 90% of your magic Destruction?
2) was you 100% Conjuration where all your fights was conjuring pets to do your battles?
3) did you use any type resto loop trick to make your destruction spells do way more damage?

Ok that's my 3 questions for you. Number 1 and 3 goes together if you did resto loop to make your spells more powerful because if you made a pure Mage and did no exploits to make yourself more powerful in destruction then destruction just doesn't stand up damage wise to an archer or warrior even with dual casting.

Now Conjuration YES the game works great in the magic department, summoning pets to do your battles while you stand back and use destruction or healing or keep summoning pets till your mobs are dead.

But if you go 90% destruction and 10% restoration that's to me is a pure Mage build, no use of melee weapons or bows can use Conjuration summoning pets but still with all the perks magic cannot stand up on its own in this game it is broken so bad that is the sad part about this game, now if you played a pure Mage, no weapons or bows and no exploits to make your spells godly amounts of damage, I give you Huge grats and please tell us your secrets :)

Perma-n00b posted

I had 90% cost redux on destro, used all magic skills accept most of the resto tree, and I used
destro as ny primary attack but utilized dual dremoras, ebony armor, and paralyze regularly.... Less emphasis on illusion. I actually enjoyed magic more than oblivions overpowered spreadsheet magic.

Now this player made it work great for him on master and that's a Huge Grats, I don't see why he can't make it work on Legendary.

There is actually few out there that can make a Pure Mage, whether in the box or going outside the box but still not using no mods or exploits.

I to have seen you tube videos of magic on legendary not working but just cause 1 or 2 players showing how weak magic is doesn't mean they have the correct answer or it is impossible, nothing is impossible in this game, sometimes you just have to think outside the generic Mage build and make it your own and it works :)
#9CRK44Posted 2/12/2014 8:58:59 PM
charon78au posted...
- An equipment enchantment to fortify the damage.
- Increase the base damage of some of the spells.
- Allow for sneak attacks with spells if the quiet casting perk is taken.
- Change casting to be instantaneous when the trigger is pulled, and allow for charged spells by holding the trigger. Similar to melee power attacks. These would be about 50% stronger when cast.
- Improve the efficiency of dual casting to be 3x damage for 2.8x magicka cost. Make dual cast spells better than the single cast.

I actually really like this. But does dual cast still retain Impact? That's really what make Dual Cast useful. Even at lower levels.
#10BiggyDXPosted 2/12/2014 9:18:31 PM
I'd keep it the same, but instead I would have implemented an Evolution system where the powers themselves become stronger the more you use them. They'd also have various benefits. So for example, if you were do deal out a lot of damage for Incinerate it would gain a bonus that lets catch other enemies on fire that touch the original one you scorched. Another example would be to give Wall of Ice a bonus that gives it the chance to freeze enemies completely if they stay inside for too long.

This doesn't need to only apply to Destruction magic either. For Telekinesis, you could have a bonus where you can use it to steal from people remotely (which would then factor in how high your Alteration and Pickpocketing skills were).
---
Gamertag: Biggy DX