Visualization of ES Cosmology

#1The CaptainPosted 2/15/2014 12:51:26 PM
http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/039/c/d/the_elder_scrolls__cosmology_by_okiir-d757i0g.png

Snagged from r/gaming, and of course the original artist, Okiir.

Thoughts?
#2TrialZero654Posted 2/15/2014 3:04:57 PM
makes for a beautiful graphic, if nothing else

it's Astronomically (figuratively and literally) inaccurate though, if from nothing else than a cosmological standpoint; for instance, is there any explanation why Dibella appears to be in orbit around Mara, which itself appears to be in orbit around Zenithar, which itself appears to be in orbit around an unnamed star that's small than all 3?

Also, the fact that Mundus appears to be portrayed in the configuration of a solar system, with Nirn at the center, and the rest of the "planets" (Divines) orbiting (even though Zenithar and Arkay seem to be off on their own outside of the system, orbiting... something else), is ridiculous, especially since Akatosh, Kynareth, and Julianos appear to be almost as big as Nirn itself

This is simply not possible.. planets don't have enough mass or energy to maintain more than a few satellites, depending on size of the planet, and they certainly cannot maintain satellites almost as big as they themselves are; in our own Solar System, Jupiter is 2 and half times the size of all other planets in our system combined, and 318 times more massive than earth, yet it is still bound by our suns gravity, and moreover, only has 67 known satellites (yes, that's a lot for our system, but not 318 times more than earth) and only a single one of those is comparable to another planet in our system (Mercury, which happens to be the smallest planet)
---
"Our glory and our downfall. Embrace the terrible risks of war; drive home the spear." - A Talent For War
GT: Trialzero
#3TrialZero654Posted 2/15/2014 3:09:11 PM
i always just rationalized all that "other worlds" and realms and aedra/daedra bull**** by just imagining them as being literally a separate dimension from the universe which Nirn inhabits, which is also why the inhabitants of Nirn need some kind of portal or spell to get to them

it might not be correct lore-wise but it's hell of a lot easier to understand than whatever the hell is going on in that graphic, and also has the benefit of having no real-world observable phenomenon for me to relate it to (and thus cause my mind to scream "BULL****!")
---
"Our glory and our downfall. Embrace the terrible risks of war; drive home the spear." - A Talent For War
GT: Trialzero
#4RebelElite791Posted 2/15/2014 3:38:45 PM
TrialZero654 posted...
makes for a beautiful graphic, if nothing else

it's Astronomically (figuratively and literally) inaccurate though, if from nothing else than a cosmological standpoint; for instance, is there any explanation why Dibella appears to be in orbit around Mara, which itself appears to be in orbit around Zenithar, which itself appears to be in orbit around an unnamed star that's small than all 3?

Also, the fact that Mundus appears to be portrayed in the configuration of a solar system, with Nirn at the center, and the rest of the "planets" (Divines) orbiting (even though Zenithar and Arkay seem to be off on their own outside of the system, orbiting... something else), is ridiculous, especially since Akatosh, Kynareth, and Julianos appear to be almost as big as Nirn itself

This is simply not possible.. planets don't have enough mass or energy to maintain more than a few satellites, depending on size of the planet, and they certainly cannot maintain satellites almost as big as they themselves are; in our own Solar System, Jupiter is 2 and half times the size of all other planets in our system combined, and 318 times more massive than earth, yet it is still bound by our suns gravity, and moreover, only has 67 known satellites (yes, that's a lot for our system, but not 318 times more than earth) and only a single one of those is comparable to another planet in our system (Mercury, which happens to be the smallest planet)

"It doesn't make sense for the decaying godhusks to be orbiting a ball of dead-god-matter because physics"

<_____<
---
http://i.imgur.com/QUk9buh.gif http://i.imgur.com/zQlDBkU.png http://i.imgur.com/fXVAVVH.png
#5Brenz0rPosted 2/16/2014 12:04:33 AM
I've seen better (where are the rest of the Principalities?).
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN
#6LostoutPosted 2/16/2014 12:37:22 PM
Would any lore expert agree that this was accurate? I think it's pretty cool even if it is totally wrong ( I have no idea) I never thought of the other realms to be like actual planets I just thought of them as other dimensions or something.

Where did the artist get the information for this? Or did he just kinda throw them all together based on their own impression?
---
I am as awesome as a bear high fiving a shark in space during an explosion.