Easy way to get Smithing up!

#1Lazyboy256Posted 11/14/2011 8:37:34 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before; I'm to lazy to check :P

So my friends and I were playing Skyrim while voice chatting on Steam. One of my friends tells us he has like 60 smithing, and we were in disbelief because we were relatively fresh to the game.

Here's what he said, an easy way to get Smithing up.

Make nothing but Iron Daggers.

Yup. That's it. Iron Daggers require an Iron Ingot and a Leather Strip, materials that are really easy to come by.

To get Iron Ingots, you can either travel between different places that have blacksmiths that sell them or mine Iron Ore and smelt them into Iron Ingots. Some vendors also sell Iron Ore as well, so grab that if you can.

To get Leather Strips, just kill some animals for their pelts and make Leather out of them, or buy Leather, then use a Tanning Rack to turn the Leather into Leather Strips.

Then just head to your nearest anvil or whatever and make 12380912380 Iron Daggers. Watch your Smithing shoot up as well as your base level (if you are lower leveled that is).

After some time, I hit 100 Smithing already, and have myself some nice light Dragon armor. Improving the armor made it significantly better as well. I also made some improved Glass Weapons, and my guy looks pretty dang awesome. I feel that I should share this little tip if it hasn't been said already so you guys can start making yourselves some epic armor!
#2hovenasPosted 11/14/2011 10:07:27 AM
Step 2 is to enchant them daggah's and sell for gold.
That way u lvl speech (sell 1 at the time) and enchanting and make them golds.
---
Charcoal Weber-lover
#3SwagdogPosted 11/14/2011 10:08:42 AM
Step 1: make dagger
Step 2: level up
Step 3: ??????
Step 4: Profit.
---
God can have his soul, but his a** belongs to me- Terrell Suggs on Ben Roethlisberger
#4LunarRoarPosted 11/14/2011 10:09:49 AM
Yep, I've been doing the same thing, got Smithing to roughly 40 and Speech to around 30 so far. I would get it higher but there's only so many Iron Daggers I can make before I get bored.
---
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=lunarroar
#5The_Evil_ElfPosted 11/14/2011 11:16:44 AM
Meh...I'll stick with hide bracers that is why my smithing is level 90...3 pieces of leather is 2 bracers...
---
Blizzard crits you for $15
Your login is resisted by Blizzard-Slash585
#6capgamerPosted 11/14/2011 11:22:04 AM(edited)
The_Evil_Elf posted...
Meh...I'll stick with hide bracers that is why my smithing is level 90...3 pieces of leather is 2 bracers...

Just posting to agree with this.

Get a ton of furs and make them all into leather. Divide however many leathers you have by 3 and make that many leather strap sets.

IE:
60 leathers

60/3 = 20
Use 20 leathers to make 80 leather straps

At this point you have:
40 leathers
80 leather straps

At a price of 1 leather, 2 straps per hide bracer you can make 40 bracers.

So basically you have a 2/3 bracer production rate for each leather you grab.

EDIT: It just makes it a little simpler.
---
It's like racism, except to only one person. -Todasmile
It's tough never being right. - Eric Shinseki
#7agentpheonixPosted 11/14/2011 11:26:54 AM
PLEASE NOTE:

This is best to be used at higher levels. Otherwise, you will be a high level character with only points in Smithing, which doesn't do much for you in a fight unless you make some good armor.

If you level up that quickly, you're going to run into a lot of high level enemies that will destroy you since you've only been levelling one skill.
---
GT: Red Undead Now (and forever) Playing: SKYRIM
http://m-102.minus.com/ipPaN0GZBXpqY.gif
#8TranRoxasPosted 11/14/2011 11:29:50 AM

Thanks for the tips, I've been struggling with my smithing level. I had to pay to get it to 30. Seemed that no matter how much I made things, it did not rise fast enough.

#9SuvorovPosted 11/14/2011 11:31:08 AM
It won't matter to the people that do this, as they will just cheat in combat anyway.
---
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson
#10agentpheonixPosted 11/14/2011 11:31:17 AM
TranRoxas posted...
Thanks for the tips, I've been struggling with my smithing level. I had to pay to get it to 30. Seemed that no matter how much I made things, it did not rise fast enough.

You could also benefit from choosing the Warrior Standing Stone, so that all combat skills (including smithing) increase 20% faster. At that point, you should be gaining a level in smithing about every 4-6 daggers you make.
---
GT: Red Undead Now (and forever) Playing: SKYRIM
http://m-102.minus.com/ipPaN0GZBXpqY.gif