Help - can't decorate Whiterun house

#1JanneK89Posted 12/15/2011 4:37:30 AM
I just bought it and I would like to buy some furniture and stuff but when I go to talk to Proventus Avenicci, the option to buy any doesn't pop up. Any way to fix this?
#2JazzwindPosted 12/15/2011 4:40:18 AM
Wait until he's not on the balcony. Go there at meal times when he's sitting in the hall or by the Jarl.
---
I'm not bitter, jaded, nor cynical....Really....I just sound that way.
#3JanneK89(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2011 4:42:47 AM
He's always on the porch now, since I'm pretty close to beating the game. I go there and talk to him, but the option doesn't pop up.
#4TrenchcoatFlashPosted 12/15/2011 5:00:18 AM
it has to be between 8am and 8pm. that option is a shop option and follows the same open/closed timeframe.
---
Good. Good. Let the butthurt flow through you!
Level 1 Trolls killed: 18
#5RedwinevinoPosted 12/15/2011 5:31:28 AM
Buy a better house
---
----
#6AtairPosted 12/15/2011 5:40:00 AM
TrenchcoatFlash posted...
it has to be between 8am and 8pm. that option is a shop option and follows the same open/closed timeframe.

I don't believe that is the case with this steward, or with the stewards in Markarth and Riften either. I did the glitch to purchase the house for free when he is in his bedroom at about 6:00 am. After that, I waited till 8:00 pm when he leaves his post and walks up the stairs.

I parked next to the chest that's under the table on the second floor and bought all of the furniture for free using the same glitch and that chest. All of this was done after 8:00 pm game time.

As a matter of fact, besides the Whiterun house, I own fully furnished homes in Markarth, Solitude, and Riften, and I never paid a single gold piece for any of them. It seems that the people around the Jarl in Solitude never leave the place to go to their rooms, but I was able to stand on a table, talk to the steward, turn about 180 and deposit my gold in a nearby set of drawers. That saved me about 35,000 gold pieces.

The Markarth home purchase was a little trickier, because taking anything from any piece of that steward's furniture is considered stealing, but I was able to do it if I was directly behind him when he was sitting at his dinner table facing the wall. All of this was done during the night time, well after 8:00 pm.

The Riften house was really easy as I spoke to that steward when she was asleep in her bedroom, which is very easy to get to, and you don't have the stealing problem with containers in her room.
---
The time when someone could have finally and forever closed shut the Flaws of Oblivion.....has long passed.
#7JanneK89(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2011 11:33:48 AM
Could this be related to the fact that - SPOILERS AHEAD -

I'm at the part where I've caught a dragon in Dragonsreach and the steward stays there next to the dragon with two others all the time? So I can't upgrade my house until I've sent off the dragon?
#8LB3Posted 12/15/2011 11:37:26 AM
Yeah you might need to finish the main quest in order to get him back on his normal routine.
---
PSN: Bwleon7
#9JanneK89(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2011 11:40:14 AM
That's a shame. I've been purposefully avoiding finishing the main quest for the last 80 hours since I came to that point :P
#10TrenchcoatFlashPosted 12/15/2011 2:40:53 PM
Atair posted...
TrenchcoatFlash posted...

I don't believe that is the case with this steward, or with the stewards in Markarth and Riften either. I did the glitch to purchase the house for free when he is in his bedroom at about 6:00 am. After that, I waited till 8:00 pm when he leaves his post and walks up the stairs.

I parked next to the chest that's under the table on the second floor and bought all of the furniture for free using the same glitch and that chest. All of this was done after 8:00 pm game time.

As a matter of fact, besides the Whiterun house, I own fully furnished homes in Markarth, Solitude, and Riften, and I never paid a single gold piece for any of them. It seems that the people around the Jarl in Solitude never leave the place to go to their rooms, but I was able to stand on a table, talk to the steward, turn about 180 and deposit my gold in a nearby set of drawers. That saved me about 35,000 gold pieces.

The Markarth home purchase was a little trickier, because taking anything from any piece of that steward's furniture is considered stealing, but I was able to do it if I was directly behind him when he was sitting at his dinner table facing the wall. All of this was done during the night time, well after 8:00 pm.

The Riften house was really easy as I spoke to that steward when she was asleep in her bedroom, which is very easy to get to, and you don't have the stealing problem with containers in her room.

the hours may vary but it is a shop option and won't activate if it is too early or late. I've tested this a tiny bit by simply waiting till it was daytime and he was out in the throne room and the option appeared. if I waited till he was headed to bed, no option.
---
Good. Good. Let the butthurt flow through you!
Level 1 Trolls killed: 18