Dark Brotherhood Quest Bug (SPOILERS)

#1DaPickle56Posted 12/15/2011 2:13:06 PM
So I decided to finally start the DB questline today (as in just an hour or two from this posting) and managed to get up to the quest Whispers In The Dark, the one where you're chosen as the Listener by the Night Mother, and managed to hit a bug. After eavsdropping, Astrid tells you to go get some new contracts from Nazir, so I did, only to find that he will not give me the contracts. After trying to reload my game on several occasions and play out the situation over and over, I'm still stuck at not getting my new contracts to proceed in the story. I have also tried waiting for daytime hours in the game and fast traveling, nothing seems to work.

Is there anything I've missed to possibly fix this bug? I have the quest, it does direct me to Nazir, yet there is no dialouge option to get my new contracts.
#2saintkdPosted 12/15/2011 2:17:08 PM
Have you done all the previous contracts? The ones Nazir gave you?
---
Let me just pull the answer to slavery and exploitation right out of my ass. Seeing as I have the resources and money to do so. IronSparkSword
#3DaPickle56(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2011 2:19:14 PM
Of course. Its how I got to this part. No previous contracts, somehow ended up killing the target in Markarth without remembering when I did it (apparently I had killed him much earlier in my playthrough), then returned to the Sanctuary only to get locked out of the new contracts that are said to become available at this point of the game.
#4GG_ORDANPosted 12/15/2011 2:39:12 PM
Try finishing that next quest and go back to Nazir. Something similar happened to me, I finished the 3 contracts but he would tell me to go talk to Astrid with no dialogue options.
---
9 1/2 minutes in a '84 Chevy S10 minitruck at Infineon Raceway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qI-yFdop0
#5DaPickle56(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2011 2:44:09 PM
Well, that's the problem. I can't finish Whispers In The Dark because it requires me to take a contract from Nazir, who doesn't have the option in the dialouge to grab the new ones that he's supposed to have. Then whenever I finish talking to him he'll make an end comment about there being contracts and people to kill, yet I can't get them. I've also tried exhausting all of his dialouges to see if it'll show up then, but nothing seems to help.
#6AstroshakPosted 12/15/2011 3:07:11 PM
DaPickle56 posted...
somehow ended up killing the target in Markarth without remembering when I did it

That could be your problem. There are no contracts for murder (yet) within Markarth. There is one in Morthal, but not Markarth.

The only times you should have had to visit Markarth for the Dark Brotherhood was to meet a contact who wanted you to kill one or two people, and gives you some venom to do it with. You have to meet her and then return to her after the kills.

The contact was Muiri, she is the helper in The Hag's Cure. The quest itself was Sentenced to Death.

The only time you kill anyone (for the Dark Brotherhood) in Markarth is much later, in Recipe for Disaster, when you seek the identity of The Gourmet.
#7DaPickle56(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2011 3:11:53 PM
Aye. The quest before my bug was the one for Markarth. I just hadn't realized my target was a guy I had killed during one of my dungeon raids much earlier in my playthrough (I did some research in a quest FAQ and recognized his location). However, as far as I can tell, that shouldn't have caused a problem since you are allowed to just kill him with your bare hands if you want. Reporting his death to Muriel without the use of the poison just renders a lesser pay due to not using the correct method or killing the other target I didn't know about. That quest finished, its the one after that glitches for me, where at the end I'm required to get more contracts from Nazir, which I see includes either killing some vampire at a mill or killing a man in Morthal. Neither of these contracts are obtainable as they should be from Nazir, thus perpetually freezing me at the end of the DB quest Whispers in the Dark.
#8GTAfanSamPosted 12/15/2011 3:13:21 PM
From uesp

This can be fixed by deactivating the quest while inside of the Sanctuary, exiting to the outside, and reactivating the quest. Proceed to follow through with the quest as normal and the bug should be fixed.
---
Xbox Live GT: Pyramid Head 88
PSN Username: PyramidHead88
#9DaPickle56(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2011 4:52:41 PM
GTAfanSam posted...
From uesp

This can be fixed by deactivating the quest while inside of the Sanctuary, exiting to the outside, and reactivating the quest. Proceed to follow through with the quest as normal and the bug should be fixed.

This didn't work. Followed the directions to the letter and Nazir still refuses to give me my contracts.