How to get to the Greybeards (possible spoilers)

#1LTStrikePosted 12/29/2011 10:39:48 AM
I'm having trouble getting to the greybeards for the first time. I took 2 routes, one from helgan and one going around the mountain on the north side (came along a giant and like everyone else, I got launched to the moon). Am I supposed to level up and do other quests so I can survive the journey to the greybeards? I so far have done the dragon claw side quest, also, (off topic) what's a quick way to make money?
---
...Whats next?
#2undeniablefatePosted 12/29/2011 10:41:43 AM
You have to go to Iverstead, and across the river you will find steps up the mountain. Those steps will lead you to the Greybeards.

You'll fight some ice wolves and one frost troll, but you can run away from the frost troll.
---
"Hey! That's Tom Cruise packing fudge!"
o-XxKaoTIc-_-eFFecTxX-o "Omigod, ur name is so MLG."
#3Ninjabotv2Posted 12/29/2011 10:45:11 AM
The easiest way I've found is to start from Riften. There's a lake next to it, and if you follow it west you'll come to the river feeding into it. You can follow this river all the way to Ivarsted, which is at the foot of the mountain you need to climb. Other than a few wolves/ice wolves and a troll (running past him is perfectly acceptable at this point) it's not really that bad. Just make sure you heal up between wolves. There's a few that will attack in quick succession.
#4LTStrike(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2011 10:54:43 AM
Riftin looks kinda far, will I be able to fight any creatures on the way there? I'm only level 5.
---
...Whats next?
#5PsytroniXPosted 12/29/2011 11:06:41 AM
The Frost Troll completely wrecked me the first couple of times, so I equipped a Paralysis Poison, hit it, and ran as fast as I could past it. It seemed to work.
#6filpennyPosted 12/29/2011 11:15:06 AM
Most of what you'll find are wolves/skeevers. You should be fine. Once you start up the 7,000 steps, prepare to run past the frost troll. He will kill you if you try and fight him, most likely.
#7NocturnalSlothPosted 12/29/2011 11:17:02 AM
How the hell are you only level 5 when doing that quest? I was like level 10ish, as a result of doing some minor exploration.
#8uprrsloPosted 12/29/2011 11:27:50 AM
You can do two things. One is hire a wagon in Whiterun to take you to the nearest town. Two, just run from the troll, it will give up after a short sprint. You should be able to get there with little trouble. The only real bandit nest is the towers along the way (heading around the top of the mountain). I think you might need to do some other local quests before heading up there.
#9Ninjabotv2Posted 12/29/2011 11:53:21 AM
My second character is lvl 6 right now and I'm doing it. It's not that crazy(I must have Fus Ro Dah ASAP). I took a wagon from Whiterun to Riften then swam to Ivarsted. I didn't even run into enemies.
#10Stanimal032Posted 12/29/2011 11:54:57 AM

I was wondering I made it all the way to High Hrothgar and never encountered the troll...lucky me I guess