How to remove stolen tag from items

#1illahstrait2Posted 3/22/2012 2:58:38 AM
Okay so I found this out last night.

It seems that almost any item that you can reverse pickpocket onto a wares vendor will get added to their shop. Then all you need to do is buy the item to remove the stolen tag.

For example I stole some college robes without stats while in radiant raiment in Solitude and reverse pickpocket-ed the item onto the clerk. When I started the shop dialogue I purchased the college robe and then went and examined the clerk while sneaking and she had indeed sold me the item has it wasn't on her anymore.

It may be dependent on the type of shop. Like placing weapons on a weapon/armor vendor.

The "merchant" perk allowed me to place a stolen iron dagger on the bannered mare inn keep and buy it.

note: weight seems to factor in what items you can place. With no perks in pickpocket I was unable to place any two-hand weapons or heavy armor.

This will require more testing however...
---
not enchantment
#2flintstonerPosted 3/22/2012 3:46:01 AM
This is good info, I have a flawless saphire I stole that requires to be given for a quest. Still need one more. Its in my w/r chest now untill needed. This may come in handy during thieves guild quests also.
#3IHeartJessAlbaPosted 3/22/2012 4:30:41 AM
Anything that you turn in for a quest, whether flagged as stolen or not, will be accepted, save for a few glitched quests.

I've found that if you give a follower enough items to max their weight, then ask them to loot a chest, (causing all effected items to be marked), retrieving all items in a trade, dropping the stolen ones, and then asking your follower to pick them up, removes all of the stolen flags.

If they are stackable, they must be dropped and picked up separately. Occasionally, you'll have to attempt this twice to remove the flag.

Whether this works on ALL stolen goods is beyond me, but plausible. I can sell stolen goods to all vendors due to perks, so stolen goods doesn't really effect my game at all anymore.
---
psn - wokeupinapanic
#4illahstrait2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2012 3:30:16 PM
If anyone wants to help me test this, please post your findings in this topic.
---
not enchantment
#5illahstrait2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2012 9:51:54 AM
I tested this again last night by stealing some potions and placing them on a npc that sells potions and Alchemy ingredients and I was able to buy them and remove the tag.
---
not enchantment
#6Sir_TripzalotPosted 3/28/2012 1:25:03 PM
Though interesting, I'm beginning to wonder what the merits of buying something you've already stolen are.... ie. doesn't purchasing an item kind of defeat the purpose of stealing it in the first place...?
---
Your proctologist called...he's found your head
#7AlessarPosted 3/28/2012 2:44:49 PM
If you're caught carrying stolen goods, they'll be taken from you. So, by "filing off the ID" through sale/purchase of a fence, you can have them free and clear. For instance, I like to walk around in Noble's Robes stolen from the East Empire company warehouse.
#8SystemFolderPosted 3/28/2012 5:35:34 PM
Sir_Tripzalot posted...
Though interesting, I'm beginning to wonder what the merits of buying something you've already stolen are.... ie. doesn't purchasing an item kind of defeat the purpose of stealing it in the first place...?

Well, if you steal something that you want to keep and use, rather than just sell for a profit, then this is a great trick because your favorite stuff won't get confiscated. I'm pretty sure this trick will also work on a follower who sells things, like Aela the Huntress if you finish the Companion's quest-line and marry her.
#9proudgkPosted 3/28/2012 7:37:02 PM
Might be good to know if a person doesn't have fences. Otherwise, you can sell stolen goods to a fence, and as long as you buy the item back before you exit the dialog box, the "stolen" tag will be removed.
#10illahstrait2(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2012 4:35:17 AM
If you commit a crime and decide to pay the bounty (or go to jail) the guard will seize all stolen items from you.
---
not enchantment